Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP when you have a cold?
CPAP when you have a cold?
Hi - Two and a half months into using a CPAP, and I've picked up a rotten cold. So - do you keep using the mask right through nights of sneezing and coughing? It seems like I am just recycling the germs. I try to take the mask off when I realize I'm going to cough, but don't always make it.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP when you have a cold?
I just keep using the cpap and wash the mask everyday.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are not going to re-infect yourself - you already have the cold!
Post Reply Post Reply
My last cold was unpleasant and uncomfortable, to say the least, so I consulted my physician. The first questions were: was I having trouble breathing?, did I have a significantly sore throat?, did I have significant mucus drainage (and what color? -- light yellow/brown OK, green -- not OK), was I coughing?,and was I using pillows? He told me to use a saline spray before bed, a non-medicated throat lozenge for a sore throat, change to a full face mask if I had significant issues with nasal blockage, use the humidifier, and suggested an OTC remedy that did not conflict with my normal meds to loosen and thin phlegm.

He told me to call him in five days if things were not getting better, to keep using the CPAP. And above all, keep the mask and machine clean.

Four more unpleasant days and I was on the road to recovery.

Check with your doc always if you have heart or lung issues. Make sure you ask the doc about the newer pneumonia shot and annual flu shot. If you are on Medicare, both are without cost.

Hang in there -- this too shall pass.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JaneAM,
I continue to use my machine and mask when I have a cold.
I hope you get over your cold, soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The show must go on! It's been quite cold season so far.

I'm afraid of not using the cpap during a cold or otherwise.

Nasal rinse, and maybe afrin in one nostril usually works. I use nasal pillows, but I should have a full face mask as a cold back up, but so far I haven't finalized that precaution.

Sometimes a mouth rinse of half water and half hydrogen peroxide if there is a sore throat. Sometimrs twice a night if I wake up. Seems to help.

Colds suck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wash the mask a little better each morning and let it air dry.
Consider turning the humidifier up just a little but sometimes too much can be just as bad as too little.
Consider using a nasal rinse. I use the Ayr squeeze bottle and a pre-mixed powder. Rinse out just prior to sleep and again when I first wake up.
If I am really sick with cold or flu, I will get a new hose and switch out the cushions on the mask. Probably is not necessary but it makes me feel better. Kinda like changing the sheets.

The best thing for recovery from any illness is sleep. So use your CPAP!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's easier to sneeze with nasal pillows than a full face, but I have always used the therapy with any cold or illness. It actually seems to relieve the symptoms. Imagine, we actually have a humidifier built in every night!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 819 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,234 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 882 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 946 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.