Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with Fitbit - Sleep way out of whack!
CPAP with Fitbit - Sleep way out of whack!
Good Morning:

I have recently started on the CPAP and am still adjusting to it. Prior to the CPAP, I monitored my sleep using my Fitbit and it would show my benchmarks between light sleep, deep sleep, REM sleep and awake were all in the appropriate zones (right amount of time for each zone) during the night.
Now, with the CPAP, the amount of time I am in each zone is WAY off. Over 80% of my sleep is in the Light Sleep zone and I'm getting very little REM or Deep Sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this or know why I'm not getting into the Deep or REM sleep. I'm wondering if this is why I'm still feeling very tired when I wake up.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP with Fitbit - Sleep way out of whack!
If we assume the Fit-bit sleep monitor is accurate, there are many possibilities for sleep disruption and arousal to a lighter stage of sleep. These
can include mask leaks, mouth breathing, residual events and other non-CPAP disturbances. If you download the free #Sleepyhead software, you will see a much more detailed chart of your sleep down to the individual breath level that ResScan cannot show. It is time-stamped so you could compare that to what you are seeing on your Bit. At the very least you can use the data to see if there is a correlation to sleep stage and any events or leaks on the CPAP.

Your profile indicates you are using a S9 machine. That's not much detail. The CPAP and Escape models do not produce data, but the Elite and Autoset do. The S9 is becoming an older machine. Did you buy this used, or have you been using CPAP for several years?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 08:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If we assume the Fit-bit sleep monitor is accurate, there are many possibilities for sleep disruption and arousal to a lighter stage of sleep. These
can include mask leaks, mouth breathing, residual events and other non-CPAP disturbances.  If you download the free sleepyhead software, you will see a much more detailed chart of your sleep down to the individual breath level that ResScan cannot show. It is time-stamped so you could compare that to what you are seeing on your Bit.  At the very least you can use the data to see if there is a correlation to sleep stage and any events or leaks on the CPAP.

Your profile indicates you are using a S9 machine. That's not much detail. The CPAP and Escape models do not produce data, but the Elite and Autoset do.  The S9 is becoming an older machine.  Did you buy this used, or have you been using CPAP for several years?

Thanks for your response, I have  the new Resmed Airsense 10 now and I do have the  SleepyHead software but have no idea how to read it.  I just went to the Beginners Guide and I'll see what I can learn from there.  I'll give it some time, I've had it for about 10 days now.

thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Instructions for posting a chart are in my signature. We can offer some insights on what the charts tell you if you have questions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had quite a variety of sleeping experiences with CPAP. What I'm finding is the aggressive algorithms (that aggressively raise pressure to address obstructions as they occur) significantly interrupt my sleep (even if I don't wake up enough to know it).

Now that I know that, I've realized:
1) That's why the DreamStation helps me feel so rested. (DS is not as aggressive.)
2) I need to use the "soft response" on the ResMed (to make it less agressive).
3) When I bought a ResMed as my back-up machine, I wish I would've bought the For Her model, for the even softer / less aggressive response.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love my FitBit.  I'm sedentary though and bought it JUST to track my sleep Too-funny

When I had my last sleep study, I asked them what Dr's thought of all of the new sleep tracking devices.  They said, basically, that it's a "mixed bag".  When it comes to tracking stages of sleep- REM, light, and deep- that the devices are rubbish.  They say you need to be hooked up to the ECG (or whatever the prongs and wires are called).  They went on that when it comes to restlessness, the devices are wonderful.
They also love how the devices have made people pay attention to quality of sleep and how they're helping to raise awareness and get people to seek medical attention.

While I don't understand nearly anything Hydrangea wrote (I'm still a CPAP noob myself), I *think* I get the jist.
I had to do away with the RAMP time on my device.  I found when it switched on, it would wake me up.  I have it at a constant 8.
Which is another interesting point brought up by Hydrangea (if I understand correctly).  If I'm sound asleep and it ramps above 8 for episodes, does that disrupt my/our sleep?
You would think NOT BREATHING would disrupt our sleep more than a change in pressure  Dielaughing But who knows.  We've probably adapted to the one and just have to get used to the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 03:46 PM)Zhaylin Wrote: Which is another interesting point brought up by Hydrangea (if I understand correctly).  If I'm sound asleep and it ramps above 8 for episodes, does that disrupt my/our sleep?
You would think NOT BREATHING would disrupt our sleep more than a change in pressure  Dielaughing But who knows.  We've probably adapted to the one and just have to get used to the other.

LOL That's what I wonder, too.  Wouldn't it be less disruptive to breathe?!  And THAT is what confuses me about these machines: they are good for *preventing* the obstruction, but not *more helpful* when an obstruction happens?  (Or at least not for sensitive sleepers like apparently me?)

I don't really "get it".  I just know that my DreamStation has changed my life for the better; and whatever magic it does, I never want to give that up!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Hydrangea, as long as it works, it works lol.  I'm glad it's helping you so much <3 

DJBeck, I was just going over my Fitbit info for the day and thought of this thread immediately.
Today was hectic!  I've had a couple disolvable sutures forcing their way to the surface, so I had to see the Dr to have it looked at and get clipped.
I set TWO alarms... and slept through them both  Oh-jeez
My appointment was for 10:15.
I woke up and jumped out of bed at 10:00.
Here's what my Fitbit had to say about my sleep today  Dielaughing  

If I got the Attachment thing to work right, you'll see Fitbit has me falling very quickly into a very deep sleep at 10:02 rofl.

**EDIT**
Hmmm... unless I read the time mark wrong.  Even still, it would have me sleeping when I was awake and I didn't take a nap or lay down at all today.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, there's no way these things can detect sleep stages. It most likely uses a movement detector and a pulse reader and gives a random guess based loosely on the two sets of data.

It would be like if it says you are eating a peanut butter sandwich because your arm moves up to your mouth less often due to it taking longer to chew and swallow. That and your pulse rate increases at the sheer joy of another PBJ for lunch.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
lol, Paula! My favorite is when I'm just chilling in bed, playing a game and it thinks I've fallen asleep because my pulse is slow and I'm not moving much Big Grin

I still really love my device though. I just don't pay much attention to what it thinks my sleep stages are. My overall sleep quality, on the other hand... I think it's a useful guide.
The technology still has a long way to go, but it is a step in the right direction Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 271 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 127 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 158 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 331 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 215 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 224 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 581 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.