Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with a cold
CPAP with a cold
I don,t remember when last had a cold but last weekend caught the bug and been suffering ever since from a cold... runny nose, sore throat, cough, headache. Doc gave me some antibiotic and it seem to be just started to work so hoping to be able to use my Activa LT nasal mask tonight. I wish if can find a full face mask doesn't spring a leak like my Quattro FX.
Any suggestions Oops Never mind you all be sleeping by now Bed may be one or two insomniac still lurking Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP with a cold
I always found that sleeping in a chair was a lot easier when I have a cold, still the sneezes while wearing a mask take a 'LOT' of cleaning up!
Just had a thought, have you tried Olbas Oil, it helps keep the airways clear without any side effects, a couple of drips on a tissue and put near (But not too close!) to the the Cpap air inlet works for me!
(It's 08:00 hrs here (UK), Iv'e been up for for two hours already)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Podd. I have not tried the oil but I,ll do another saline rinse before bed.
Enjoy your morning coffee...we,re just about to have our dinner
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with that cold! I've been suffering terribly with allergies this past week or so. It has been just miserable! I finally refilled my RX for my nose spray...I think it is Nasonex generic or something like that? It works great at keeping my nose clear. My insurance had a co-pay of $20.00 a bottle so I quit buying it! I then found out my wife's insurance has only a $10.00 co-pay! I don't mind $10, but $20 is just too much! I've also been taking the Claritan-D. You have to get it at the pharmacy counter nowadays because while it is not a prescription medication, some idiots figured out a way to make Meth or Crack or something out of it! I would like to publicly thank those people from all of us who are now completely inconvenienced just so they can get high!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasonex as far as I am aware is an over-the-counter nasal spray that uses a Corticosteroid to 'interfere' with your 'inflammatory' response, it does however have a plethora of 'side effects' which although rare should necessitate regular nasal examinations if used continously, it can actually cause nasal problems which I find quite disturbing.
I know there are 'Extra' filters that can be added to Cpap machines to provide additional filtration of the incoming air, have you investigated these? (I saw them on ebay!)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there zonk, Hope you get over that cold quickly and good luck whenever you try your CPAP machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2012, 04:56 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi there zonk, Hope you get over that cold quickly and good luck whenever you try your CPAP machine.
Thanks Trish for your wishes, It made me feel better already.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was wrong, it is Flonase. I should k now better than to try to go from memory!
But you know Podd, what is OTC in one country is not necessarily OTC in another. I live very close to the Mexican border and lots of folks go down there for meds all the time. Only catch is if they find you bringing them back in this country you better have an RX for them!
I do use the white filters on my machine actually, because of my allergies. However, I am awake and not using my machine more than I am asleep on any given 24 hour period, so.... Smile Today has been better so far.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2012, 07:51 AM)mjbearit Wrote: Good luck with that cold!
Thanks MJ. The cold almost gone, last night I was able to use my nasal mask.
Who would have thought its such a challenge to sleep and breathe all at once Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MJ,
Just a thought regarding the filter(s), I cannot use decongestant's or nasal spray's of any description, my nasal passages become inflamed and actually bleed, so I stay well clear!
I occasionally use a 'Facial Steamer' which seems to work a bit, I have not actually tried a saline flush, I may do though?
On my travels out of the UK, I was always 'Amazed' at the amount and type of Meds available 'Over-the-Counter', you can buy Codeine quite freely here but you could be arrested in Saudi Arabia as it's classed as an 'illegal' drug.
The dosage's are quite different as well, so overdose's could be an issue?
I just looked up Flonase on the internet as I was not familiar with this brand, Mmmmm.Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 820 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,236 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 883 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 947 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.