Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with a cold
RE: CPAP with a cold
(08-22-2012, 02:02 AM)Podd Wrote: you can buy Codeine quite freely here but you could be arrested in Saudi Arabia as it's classed as an 'illegal' drug.
You don't get arrested here but since May 2010 codeine preparations must be sold only at a pharmacy, no prescription required and at the discretion of the Pharmacist. The idea was to stop addicts crushing the opiates and injecting themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Podd, one thing I use quite a bit is something called Ayr and is just a simple saline spray (but I wish they would use a better delivery system!). It is amazing how just a spray of water up the old snozz can open it up a bit. Unfortunately, since I have always had sinus issues quite often I am stuck using medicated sprays. I don't like the OTC medicated sprays though because they can tend to have a bounceback effect as well as becoming addicted to the point where you literally cannot breathe without them. I like the stuff I use because when I am not having allergy or cold problems I just stop using it and there is no problem at all. Before our insurance company changed their formulary we used a different one than Flonase which worked much better even, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 03:19 AM)zonk Wrote: You don't get arrested here but since May 2010 codeine preparations must be sold only at a pharmacy, no prescription required and at the discretion of the Pharmacist. The idea was to stop addicts crushing the opiates and injecting themselves.

It always amazes me how this type thing comes about. Injecting. smoking, etc drugs meant to be taken orally. I take pain meds all the time and I have never looked at the bottle and said "I wonder what would happen if I smoked it?" It's just bizarre behavior in my book!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 07:47 AM)mjbearit Wrote: Hey Podd, one thing I use quite a bit is something called Ayr and is just a simple saline spray (but I wish they would use a better delivery system!).
Hi MJ,
Not heard of Ayr before (Did a quick search and there it was) seems to be the biz though, not sure if you can get it here yet but I will try. I noticed in the 'Blurb' they also make Ayr Gel, I was wondering is this used to 'Protect' sensitive areas, I'm thinking allergies here????
I seem to remember reading somewhere about Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) being used in the nose to help 'prevent' hayfever, whether this prevents pollen doing it's stuff or just 'traps it' I have no idea.
I 'occasionaly' get sore eyes as I ride a Motorcycle and there is a LOT of Rapeseed grown locally....
Post Reply Post Reply
The Ayr gel is for when your nose or nostrils is sore like from allergies. I use it when it as necessary. There's a lot of different nasal rinses available. Neill-Med is one (I think that is the name). I use the kind where you put it into a squeeze bottle, lean over the sink. and squirt it up the nostril. It really works and I love it. I don't use it every night, only when allergies or some other reason has me congested.

Most come with little packets and all you do is put it into the water. All it is is saline with a bit of buffer to adjust the pH to the human body. A lot of folks make their own but I am lazy.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Cheers for that Paula02, just looked on the 'bay and found some, most however are imports.
Even though I use a humidifier I still get 'dry' nasal passages, not cracked or sore (I guess I am lucky there)
I will go to the chemist tomorrow and see whats available, I may try the gel first if thats available.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Paula, I was buying those little packet things until I ran out and didn't feel like going to the store one time. I just took like maybe 1/8 tsp of salt and a bit less of baking soda as a buffering agent and it works great. I've had no problems with it so I just quit buying the little packets completely. I'm not suggesting anyone do this as I'm sure the packets are premeasured and all for your health and safety, but....ya know!

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a respiratory illness called "esinophil positive bronchitis", basically an allergic bronchitis. Last week I was exposed to some things that I am sensitive to and then got sick. There are lots of illnesses and influenza going around. I usually don't get sick from just one thing, but often a combo of allergic reactions plus a virus. This is the first time I have been sick since the spring/summer of 2011 when I was exposed to some toxic molds at work, and the first time since starting on CPAP last July.
I did not have any nasal congestion at first at all, and figured that the CPAP was keeping my nose clear, but now I am wondering if it is making my chest worse. I have not responded to the usual medications at all. I have an action plan from my respirologist, which I have been following, but I am getting more breathlessness rather than less as the days go by.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
getting breathlessness maybe something not serious or to do with cpap but ought to be taken seriously and see doc asap
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked my doc about this last year when I had the worst case of bronchitis/pneumonia ever. She said no, it was not affecting the lungs. That anything that is helping me to breathe was a good thing.

What I found out though, last year, was the humidifier from my CPAP was a good thing! I woke up feeling fairly good and relatively clear of crap and coughing. But an hour or so later, it would be back. So we got this teeny tiny little desktop humidifier for me and boy did that help!

It is quite possible that your infection is on its way to being pneumonia. Your body is not getting adequate oxygen which causes the lightheadedness.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 819 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,234 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 882 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 945 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.