Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with a sore throat?
Question 
RE: CPAP with a sore throat?
would using a nose strip help? just wondering, i started to use a strip the past week (no cold or flu) as an experiment on a normal night, and it helped allot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 05:30 PM)palerider Wrote:
tmo1138 Wrote:that I was pushing all that crap out of my head and into my lungs..

you DO realize that the only thing pushing anything into your lungs is your normal breathing, right?

unless you're using a NIV machine (*vaps, asv, ST)

Oh sure.. but the 15cmHG pressure and the fact I didn't have CFlex at the time didn't help matters much.

Post Reply Post Reply
PA knows I set my own pressures. She told me that if I had a cold or sinus issues, to use the cpap if at all possible, but switch from apap to straight cpap and lower the pressure 2 cms below my 'prescribed' straight pressure. 2 cms will still cover most of my events, but my oxygen level should stay good.

Most of my sore throats have turned out to be leaving my mouth open. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2016, 10:11 AM)tmo1138 Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 05:30 PM)palerider Wrote:
tmo1138 Wrote:that I was pushing all that crap out of my head and into my lungs..
you DO realize that the only thing pushing anything into your lungs is your normal breathing, right?
Oh sure.. but the 15cmHG pressure and the fact I didn't have CFlex at the time didn't help matters much.

but that 0.21 psi pressure isn't *going* anywhere, until you breath in, then it goes right back out when you breath out.

you'd have to have holes in the bottoms of your lungs for it to be pushing anything into your lungs.... it's got to have somewhere to go... otherwise, it just sits there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2016, 02:08 PM)palerider Wrote:
(04-14-2016, 10:11 AM)tmo1138 Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 05:30 PM)palerider Wrote: you DO realize that the only thing pushing anything into your lungs is your normal breathing, right?

but that 0.21 psi pressure isn't *going* anywhere, until you breath in, then it goes right back out when you breath out.

you'd have to have holes in the bottoms of your lungs for it to be pushing anything into your lungs.... it's got to have somewhere to go... otherwise, it just sits there.

Well.. my lungs and the lung butter told me a different story... But hey.. you could be right..

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2016, 03:23 PM)allynpsych Wrote: Just a quick poll here... because I'm getting conflicting advice.

If you have a cold (sore throat, cough, congestion, possible sinus congestion, earache, whatever), do you keep using your CPAP or not?

Specifically the sore throat part I guess... right now I'm trying to decide whether my throat feels worse after a couple hours trying to use the CPAP or after a night of heavy snoring. We have the cold/flu in our house that just won't quit!

allynpsych,
I suffer with nasal congestion off and on, and have found that as soon as I mask up,
within 5 to 10 minutes, the congestion clears. Now that could be because I use a nasal pillow mask. I've had one bad sore throat in the last year, and still used my Cpap. Granted, if I started coughing, I would have to take the mask off, wait till that settled down and start over.

Unless your doctor has a good reason that you shouldn't use your Cpap while experiencing a cold, then my opinion is to continue using therapy as much as possible. If not, then come morning, besides still having a cold, you will feel hung over and foggy from ditching your Cpap.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:allynpsych,
I suffer with nasal congestion off and on, and have found that as soon as I mask up,
within 5 to 10 minutes, the congestion clears. Now that could be because I use a nasal pillow mask. I've had one bad sore throat in the last year, and still used my Cpap. Granted, if I started coughing, I would have to take the mask off, wait till that settled down and start over.

Unless your doctor has a good reason that you shouldn't use your Cpap while experiencing a cold, then my opinion is to continue using therapy as much as possible. If not, then come morning, besides still having a cold, you will feel hung over and foggy from ditching your Cpap.

That's been my thought, but sometimes, with the nasal mask and my imperfect-ed tongue seal reflex, I feel like my throat is being scoured! I keep working on it though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 79 Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 474 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 1,021 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 325 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
Video Throat vibration -- is this usual? Clarke40 0 505 09-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Clarke40
Question [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI w/inflamed tonsils and/or strep throat jazoon 0 597 08-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: jazoon
  [CPAP] Pressure sore, bad night with cpap CorgiGiraffe 5 901 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.