Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
RE: CPAP with/after Surgery
(05-20-2016 01:09 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:  Hmm. Maybe turbinate reduction WOULD be worthwhile, then. My persistent nasal restriction is called "non-allergic rhinitis", and I register as not allergic to anything, on the prick your back tests. I used to be mildly allergic to mold, but I had shots for a number of years and now am no longer allergic to that. Apparently. But my nose is still, I would say, 75% less affective than it used to be. I've been doing steroid sprays for 25 to 30 years. It doesn't feel like the steroids do much good any more, but I haven't quit them, so I don't know what stopping would do!

This discussion is helpful. My allergy doctor talks about allergies -- then says the ENT should discuss turbinates. The sleep doctor talks only about CPAP machines. The blood clot doctor discusses thinning my blood, which then makes surgeries difficult. It's nice to hear about the WHOLE PERSON, here!

I so identify with your frustrations with fragmented medical care. Unfortunately, I think this will only get worse and not better.

Thank you for your comments on allergy shots as that gives me pause as to whether I would be wasting my time doing them or not in light of your experience.

Sorry about the issues you are experiencing.
05-21-2016 03:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8 (testing 7.8-10)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New to AirSense 10 and AirFit P10, but 4 years on prev unit

Sex: Female

RE: CPAP with/after Surgery
I think I have less breathing troubles when I am on vacation, which means I am no longer in the 30 miles from Chicago suburbs. So I am out of the range of whatever air pollution is present here, and back into central Pennsylvania or central Virginia (our summer vacation, usually), and I am presumably less stressed for a week. I'm not sure which plays a bigger role, though I once noticed breathing issues starting as I drove closer towards Chicago, which leads me to think the pollution is some of it. I've been in this area for 41 years, during college and afterwards.

I guess I'd better be definite about my thoughts of retiring back to the PA area! If nothing else, so that I can start breathing better.

PS I think the allergy shots DID help. I'm not allergic to mold any more, nor dust. And I don't dust my house at ALL. If I vaccuum once a year I'm doing well. (Seriously.) (See, I can't even spell vaccuum!) But I think the pollution is growing with time and population, and thus my breathing is worsening with time too.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2016 02:53 PM by BadGoodDeb.)
05-21-2016 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Maxillomandibular advancement surgery AMA mrkdilkington 0 113 11-29-2016 04:07 PM
Last Post: mrkdilkington
  Question for those who had MMA Surgery - Feeling Hopeless voiddweller 7 322 10-30-2016 02:56 AM
Last Post: 49er
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 593 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  [Health] No CPAP During Sinus Surgery Recovery Sleepster 20 1,555 09-21-2016 07:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Is it okay to decrease cpap pressure after nose surgery? kowlooner 8 578 09-13-2016 11:33 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
Question [CPAP] Upcoming endoscopic surgery and CPAP Wrz77 2 287 09-08-2016 08:28 PM
Last Post: Mike1953
  Should I bring CPAC to minor surgery R_W_B 17 789 09-07-2016 10:55 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell