Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with/after Surgery
Surprised 
CPAP with/after Surgery
When I had my nose fixed to try to stop mostly mouth breathing the doctor set up surgery as an out patient in a surgery center. During the per-op interview for the surgery center they ask a lot of questions that I answered.

I got a call from the surgeon that the operation would be moved to a fully staffed hospital with overnight stay. The surgery center had said too risky for them. I was requested to bring my cpap with me to the hospital.

The 6AM surgery was uneventful for me, do not remember going to sleep or waking up. The hospital had their Respiratory Department bring a Large mask for my cpap after surgery. I used it the night after surgery. The chance of it coming loose or leaking were next to none with this thing. The settings on my auto cpap were not changed. I have not reviewed the record from that nights use. I am still trying to figure out how to use Sleepy Head software.

I kept using the mask supplied until I could stand my normal mask (that I am unhappy with).

I have an appointment with the supplier to replace/fit a different mask in a few days. I tried to go to their store to make it easy but the require an appointment.

Still Healing and Reading this Form. Thanks for being here.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP with/after Surgery
(05-07-2016, 04:55 AM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: When I had my nose fixed to try to stop mostly mouth breathing the doctor set up surgery as an out patient in a surgery center. During the per-op interview for the surgery center they ask a lot of questions that I answered.

I got a call from the surgeon that the operation would be moved to a fully staffed hospital with overnight stay. The surgery center had said too risky for them. I was requested to bring my cpap with me to the hospital.

The 6AM surgery was uneventful for me, do not remember going to sleep or waking up. The hospital had their Respiratory Department bring a Large mask for my cpap after surgery. I used it the night after surgery. The chance of it coming loose or leaking were next to none with this thing. The settings on my auto cpap were not changed. I have not reviewed the record from that nights use. I am still trying to figure out how to use Sleepy Head software.

I kept using the mask supplied until I could stand my normal mask (that I am unhappy with).

I have an appointment with the supplier to replace/fit a different mask in a few days. I tried to go to their store to make it easy but the require an appointment.

Still Healing and Reading this Form. Thanks for being here.

Hi kwhenrykerr,
Welcome to the Apnea Board. It sounds like your hospital was very helpful.
I had nasal surgery as well (turbinate reduction and deviated septum). I brought my machine to the hospital as well but was not able to use it. I only had a nasal mask. I was able to use my nasal mask again after the splints were removed 6 days post surgery. It took me about 3 months to feel the full benefits of the surgery. My nose still clogs from time to time at night but usually clears within a few minutes. By the way mask issues are some of the most common problems on this forum. Good luck with the new mask.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! I go in Monday for the same surgery as richb. I am looking forward to the results. I will be using my CPAP machine after surgery at the hospital's request.

When you are looking at new masks, try the F&P Simplus (full face) and Eson (nasal). I have found them comfortable and they seal really well with minimal strap tension. They may not work for your face, but are worth looking at.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 11:32 AM)chill Wrote: Welcome! I go in Monday for the same surgery as richb. I am looking forward to the results. I will be using my CPAP machine after surgery at the hospital's request.

When you are looking at new masks, try the F&P Simplus (full face) and Eson (nasal). I have found them comfortable and they seal really well with minimal strap tension. They may not work for your face, but are worth looking at.

Using a nasal mask with splints in your nose is very difficult. The hospital requested that I bring the machine in but I couldn't exhale through my nose under the pressure of the machine. I was able to use the machine as soon as the splints were removed. kwhenrykerr had a full face mask and was able to mouth breathe. Good luck.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I will be taking in my Simplus FFM. I don't expect to be able to use my nasal mask for at least a couple of weeks. But that is OK as I find the Simplus quite comfortable other than balloon cheek effect. I am looking forward to the improved nasal air flow. I should have done this 10 years ago when the doc first suggested it to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 11:32 AM)chill Wrote: Welcome! I go in Monday for the same surgery as richb. I am looking forward to the results. I will be using my CPAP machine after surgery at the hospital's request.

The doctor who did the nose repair advised me before hand that I would have splints sticking out of my nose. After the job was done he used tube like internal splints that were fastened inside the front of both openings. I was able to use the large mask with no problem, the drugs helped. They were plugged with blood most of the time. I was given long qtips to clean them out (that was not fun).

Getting better everyday so far.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 01:23 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: They were plugged with blood most of the time. I was given long qtips to clean them out (that was not fun).

Ugh. I don't think I wanted to know that. Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 05:22 PM)chill Wrote:
(05-07-2016, 01:23 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: They were plugged with blood most of the time. I was given long qtips to clean them out (that was not fun).

Ugh. I don't think I wanted to know that. Laugh-a-lot

I used the saline spray stuff. Lot of it. Problem is you can't blow your nose until the splints come out. The good news is that I can breathe better now.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Back from the surgery, everything went fine, very little pain. My O2 saturation was low (86-88 at times) in the recovery room due to shallow breathing. The RT did not want me to use the machine due to fear about the pressure, but my surgeon said it was fine. The gauze taped under my nose made the mask leak quite a bit but it kept my O2 levels up. There was a lot of debate about whether I should be allowed to go home or kept overnight. I ended up staying the night for observation but my saturation was good all night. What wasn't so good was the large mask leaks blowing into my eyes. I really should have gotten up and used a smaller piece of gauze.

So in summary, no problems using CPAP immediately after this surgery, other than needing to deal with or accept more leakage than normal.

One thing I did notice was that when the mask was leaking badly, the pressure got quickly ramped up to 14 which resulted in additional leaks. I was more or less not asleep at this time. I don't see any obvious things in SleepHead that would explain the increase in pressure. The leaks should just result in an increase in volume to maintain the pressure, or so I understand. I kept turing the machine off and then back on to reset the pressure and then re-adjusted the mask. The first night's sleep was not good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 02:59 PM)chill Wrote: Back from the surgery, everything went fine, very little pain. My O2 saturation was low (86-88 at times) in the recovery room due to shallow breathing. The RT did not want me to use the machine due to fear about the pressure, but my surgeon said it was fine. The gauze taped under my nose made the mask leak quite a bit but it kept my O2 levels up. There was a lot of debate about whether I should be allowed to go home or kept overnight. I ended up staying the night for observation but my saturation was good all night. What wasn't so good was the large mask leaks blowing into my eyes. I really should have gotten up and used a smaller piece of gauze.

So in summary, no problems using CPAP immediately after this surgery, other than needing to deal with or accept more leakage than normal.

One thing I did notice was that when the mask was leaking badly, the pressure got quickly ramped up to 14 which resulted in additional leaks. I was more or less not asleep at this time. I don't see any obvious things in SleepHead that would explain the increase in pressure. The leaks should just result in an increase in volume to maintain the pressure, or so I understand. I kept turing the machine off and then back on to reset the pressure and then re-adjusted the mask. The first night's sleep was not good.

You should have an Ah Ha moment when you have the splints removed.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,952 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 598 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.