Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with oxygen Concentrator
CPAP with oxygen Concentrator
Hi all,

does anyone has a setup where they combine CPAP machine with oxygen Concentrator?

if yes, can you share your experience if adding an oxygen Concentrator gives you better performance?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP with oxygen Concentrator
I don't exactly have an answer to your question, but more of a parallel anecdote..

The first sleep apnea test I ever had was a simple overnight oximetry, which revealed that I had a significant number of desaturation events (low blood oxygen levels). Strangely, my primary doctor only prescribed an oxygen concentrator, with no follow-up study. My SP02 levels probably improved, even though no follow-up oximetry was ordered to check the effectively of using the concentrator.

Overall I did not feel better just from the extra oxygen. So, then I went for an overnight polysomnography study, in which they of course diagnosed sleep apnea with an AHI = 32. So, then I went off the oxygen concentrator and on CPAP. My sleep apnea greatly improved - now I usually have an AHI < 1. However, I still noticed that I don't feel as great or rested as many people report when they start CPAP. So, out of suspicion that my SP02 levels didn't necessarily improve with CPAP, I bought a recording pulse oximeter. The first night of data revealed that I still have a lot of desaturation events. So, I think I'm going to collect more oximetry data, print the report, and take to my sleep doctor in a follow-up appointment. I suspect she will prescribe the addition of an oxygen concentrator to my CPAP therapy to increase its efficacy.

I know that you can purchase an adapter for my CPAP machine (Airsense Autoset 10), which allows the oxygen concentrator hose to plug directly into the heated hose, thus enriching the air flow. I imagine that if you have a similar issue as mine, in which you still have oxygen desaturation events even though you are on CPAP, it will definitely enhance the therapy. It's just a lot of equipment to have to deal with, but oh well..
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tanwt,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you and Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Possum,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gone through my sleep test yet. i am just gathering information to be ready in case i am diagnose with sleep apnea

my main issue is loud snoring + generally lack of energy when i wake up.

i hope when the diagnostic is done and i got my CPAP machine, it will greatly help

as for the oxygen, what got me thinking of it is because, theoretically, more oxygen in your air will give you more oxygen in your blood stream (and to every part of your body), which should improve your overall health and alertness

if there are no desaturation reported in my sleep test, i wonder if it is still ok to still get the oxygen concentrator. Just to get the extra ommmpphh in my sleep

(01-18-2016, 06:46 PM)Possum Wrote: I don't exactly have an answer to your question, but more of a parallel anecdote..

The first sleep apnea test I ever had was a simple overnight oximetry, which revealed that I had a significant number of desaturation events (low blood oxygen levels). Strangely, my primary doctor only prescribed an oxygen concentrator, with no follow-up study. My SP02 levels probably improved, even though no follow-up oximetry was ordered to check the effectively of using the concentrator.

Overall I did not feel better just from the extra oxygen. So, then I went for an overnight polysomnography study, in which they of course diagnosed sleep apnea with an AHI = 32. So, then I went off the oxygen concentrator and on CPAP. My sleep apnea greatly improved - now I usually have an AHI < 1. However, I still noticed that I don't feel as great or rested as many people report when they start CPAP. So, out of suspicion that my SP02 levels didn't necessarily improve with CPAP, I bought a recording pulse oximeter. The first night of data revealed that I still have a lot of desaturation events. So, I think I'm going to collect more oximetry data, print the report, and take to my sleep doctor in a follow-up appointment. I suspect she will prescribe the addition of an oxygen concentrator to my CPAP therapy to increase its efficacy.

I know that you can purchase an adapter for my CPAP machine (Airsense Autoset 10), which allows the oxygen concentrator hose to plug directly into the heated hose, thus enriching the air flow. I imagine that if you have a similar issue as mine, in which you still have oxygen desaturation events even though you are on CPAP, it will definitely enhance the therapy. It's just a lot of equipment to have to deal with, but oh well..

Post Reply Post Reply
You probably do have some level of sleep apnea, given that you have loud snoring and daytime "malaise." Given that the simplest solution is usually the right one, and always the best one, I would start with your sleep study, see what they say, get on CPAP if recommended, see how it goes (there will be a learning / adjustment curve). At that point you can then assess if supplementary oxygen is needed with a follow-up overnight oximetry test, like I did. If so, you can get a script for an oxygen concentrator. If you don't need the oxygen concentrator, it is a loud, clunky, and pointless piece of equipment that takes up a lot of space, money, and not to mention electricity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your advice

btw, regarding the oximeter for home used (i have searched in amazon, seems not too expensive), is it accurate?

and does it matter if you measure when you sleep or awake?

(01-18-2016, 09:11 PM)Possum Wrote: You probably do have some level of sleep apnea, given that you have loud snoring and daytime "malaise." Given that the simplest solution is usually the right one, and always the best one, I would start with your sleep study, see what they say, get on CPAP if recommended, see how it goes (there will be a learning / adjustment curve). At that point you can then assess if supplementary oxygen is needed with a follow-up overnight oximetry test, like I did. If so, you can get a script for an oxygen concentrator. If you don't need the oxygen concentrator, it is a loud, clunky, and pointless piece of equipment that takes up a lot of space, money, and not to mention electricity.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use an oxygen concentrator with my APAP machine. Even though my AHI was well under control on the APAP - often below 1, I was still deteriorating and an overnight oximetry showed I was still de-saturating so a concentrator was added at 3 liters per minute. That made a big difference and that's when I started to slowly improve.

You don't want one, though, unless it is necessary. The one I have makes a lot of noise and I only cope by putting it three rooms away but, as there are no intervening doors, it's not enough. So I wear sound cancelling headphones to bed as well as the full face mask and the chin strap, and of course two tubes instead of just one. I look like I'm ready to launch into space.

AVS machines can help for many folks and they don't make any more noise than your regular CPAP would make. They cost a lot, but then so does the combo of the APAP machine combined with the oxygen concentrator.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

i didn't know it was that noisy. thanks for the heads up

btw, how do you measure your SO2 during sleep? do you have an oximeter that provide record the readings to somewhere?

(01-18-2016, 10:14 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I use an oxygen concentrator with my APAP machine. Even though my AHI was well under control on the APAP - often below 1, I was still deteriorating and an overnight oximetry showed I was still de-saturating so a concentrator was added at 3 liters per minute. That made a big difference and that's when I started to slowly improve.

You don't want one, though, unless it is necessary. The one I have makes a lot of noise and I only cope by putting it three rooms away but, as there are no intervening doors, it's not enough. So I wear sound cancelling headphones to bed as well as the full face mask and the chin strap, and of course two tubes instead of just one. I look like I'm ready to launch into space.

AVS machines can help for many folks and they don't make any more noise than your regular CPAP would make. They cost a lot, but then so does the combo of the APAP machine combined with the oxygen concentrator.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 10:30 PM)tanwt Wrote: i didn't know it was that noisy. thanks for the heads up

I believe there may be some new machines that are quieter and smaller having seen an add on T.V. (which may be exaggerating as T.V. adds so often do).

Quote:btw, how do you measure your SO2 during sleep? do you have an oximeter that provide record the readings to somewhere?

My supplier supplied an oximeter which I wore one night and after that the Resperoligist prescribed the oxygen. Then a few weeks later they did the test again showing my levels were O.K.

You can buy these meters on line for around a hundred bucks or so.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
you did the SO2 measurement at the clinic or home?

i assume that's more like hospital grade equipment instead of DIY at home type?

(01-18-2016, 10:47 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 10:30 PM)tanwt Wrote: i didn't know it was that noisy. thanks for the heads up

I believe there may be some new machines that are quieter and smaller having seen an add on T.V. (which may be exaggerating as T.V. adds so often do).

Quote:btw, how do you measure your SO2 during sleep? do you have an oximeter that provide record the readings to somewhere?

My supplier supplied an oximeter which I wore one night and after that the Resperoligist prescribed the oxygen. Then a few weeks later they did the test again showing my levels were O.K.

You can buy these meters on line for around a hundred bucks or so.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 671 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 916 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 525 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,061 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 417 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.