Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
KD4*** since '91 or so, General class at some point in the late 90's.

About all I do is run APRS from the truck these days, but used to a lot of HF mobile. It was kind of neat to chat with people all over the world from the truck, voice and various digital modes, before internet and cell phones made radio 'old tech'.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2016, 03:56 PM)justMongo Wrote: The ARRL is still active.  As for studying -- use Google to find practice exams.  You'll be up to speed in no time.
Try AA9PW's practice exams.

HamStudy.org - total 7 days prep for Extra.  Scored in the 90s.  After class for technician, friend was scoring mid 50-60s on practice exams.  A few days on HamStudy.org and he passed with a score in mid 90s.  He did the same for General.

OMMOHY - Kentucky Fried 5 Barbecue
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OHMY... that looks like a very nice non-commercial site for studying... some day i'm going to get my Extra class, so I've bookmarked that one.

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

(03-03-2012, 10:05 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Ha, too funny Bones...

I took my first test as a Novice at a Fort Wayne, IN hamfest.  It was there where I was thrilled to meet old-timer Gordon West (WB6NOA).  Now I silent key, I think. 
No, I don't think Gordo is ... -.-
I took an instructor class from him at HamCom in '15.  And I am a W5YI instructor and VE (ARRL too).  He is still revising and publishing the 5YI study guides to the best of my knowledge.  Haven't heard of his passing.  Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that last I heard he was still kicking.  But if it did, I would think a bigger splash would have been made over on QRZ.com.
OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh... I remember someone told me he died... but after looking at a few websites, looks like he's alive and still kickin'. 
Well, that's good news!   Thanks
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is  VE3CNP  and I am located in SW Ontario..  I started out as G6KDL back in 1980

Radio is a Kenwood 570s  using an 80 metre windom with a tuner.  Also use an FT1500 for local repeaters.

Found out a couple of months ago I had a nasty case of central sleep apnea when my wife dragged me to the doctor because of restless legs at night.. they couldn't do much about the restless legs but I am on the trail of the central sleep apnea.  Apnea events have come down from 45+ an hour to around 12.

Just now I am using a constant pressure CPAP machine on loan but expect to be moving to something different following a second sleep study.  I think the doctor has to show the cheaper route doesn't work so that the health plan will cover something more expensive.   

Yes I do feel better as the AHI events goes down in number.

This is good as I am sort of semi retired and off to Australia for 3 months on a work assignment in a few days

Peter
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks for posting Peter.  Well, getting that AHI down below 5 is the ultimate goal for most.  You're well on your way, and I hope you get a good machine after your next sleep test.  In the meantime, if you have a choice, here's an article on which machines to avoid and which are good:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Many times you can get the doctor to prescribe a specific machine to you.  Make sure he prescribes at a bare minimum a fully-data capable machine, or better an auto-CPAP (assuming you have obstructive sleep apnea).

Welcome

de KB9xxx
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I am kind of a "silent key" but NOT DEAD (although this cpap may be the death of me yet!!), since we moved to a new home that is in valley area. All I was is a 25W 2 meter, never got into HF. Also new city has strict tower restrictions so cant put up high mast, and rooftop is out. Being a retired EE, I passed all tests to Extra class in on sitting, but the code part didn't expire soon enough to get the Extra ticket so remain a lowly technician, and now have no need for radio as such. However being a railfan ( a crazy person who enjoys watching trains), I have 2 meter radio programmed for all 97 railroad channels so I can listen to chatter and know when a choo-choo train is coming to photograph.
Call is KC0xxx
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been in a deed restricted community most of my adult life. I have been an extra for many years. I still use the license some, mostly to help administer test sessions. 

QRP and code are my preferred operating mode other than 2M. 

I too have always enjoyed trains. I managed a ride on a tourist train in Abilene, KS last year and paid extra to ride in the engine. It was very nice. I have a grandson that enjoys trains. As he gets older, I hope to share model railroad with him.

Nice to see you on the forum,

73, de Jeff WD4ET
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Technically, the lave little to stand on since their "rules" can't over-ride federal law regarding antennas.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply