Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
Well I'll just comment to be another bean in the pot.... I'm VE3VHE in eastern Ontario and it appears to me, in our area at least, HAM is dead. There are a couple of local clubs.. tiny.. mostly Brits.. and not helpful, not friendly, and just cliques. Email them.. no answer. Call on the 2M repeater and no response unless they know your sign. You get a better response on a CB and that certainly says something.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2017, 09:37 AM)snuffles Wrote: Well I'll just comment to be another bean in the pot.... I'm VE3VHE in eastern Ontario and it appears to me, in our area at least, HAM is dead. There are a couple of local clubs.. tiny.. mostly Brits.. and not helpful, not friendly, and just cliques. Email them.. no answer. Call on the 2M repeater and no response unless they know your sign. You get a better response on a CB and that certainly says something.  Cool

I think the lack of interest in ham radio is wide-spread.   The internet has all but killed much of ham radio enthusiasm. 

But ham radio is still important, I think - especially for emergency communications that is not infrastructure-dependent.  If the electrical grid or telephone/internet systems go down for any length of time, ham radio is often the only semi-reliable means of communication.

People can't seem to imagine a world where there's no system for smartphones/tablets/PCs to communicate through.
Some day, if/when we ever get an EMP, CME or terrorist attack upon the grid, we're going to regret the fact that ham radio has all but died on the vine.   Thinking-about

But then again, I'm pretty old-school.   oldman

de KB9xxx
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here in Spain we can see the resurgence of the radio amateur, last year in the IBER-RADIO 2016 congress held in the beautiful medieval walled city of Avila (Spain) we met more than three thousand ham radio, all expectations were exceeded.

[Image: serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com...a7aa3931e8]

[Image: serveimage?url=https:%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot...fa5362bbe6]

We even had the opportunity to take the ARRL Exam, conducted by Spanish examiners licensed to do so.

[Image: serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.iberradio....dee773490f]

The place was magnificent

[Image: serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.iberradio....1c4f8f2522]
Post Reply Post Reply

Wow, Perchas - that's amazing! To what do you attribute such a super interest in ham radio in Spain?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think the thing is to find who runs your local repeaters and ask them if there is a scheduled net on them.
Around here we have many repeaters, but most are not terribly active. But there are regular nets, both on a weekly schedule and daily, and this is where most of the traffic is. The WARA net on Monday night generally gets over 20 checkins on the Victoria B.C. WARA repeater system. And on Vancouver Island we have the Island Trunk repeater network that runs up the Island and a regular net every morning at 08:15 that commonly gets over 50 checkins both from the Island and from the Mainland.

So I suspect the traffic is there if you look for it.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Your brain is not the boss.

Post Reply Post Reply
We have several "nets" here daily. One is called the Sunshine net and runs on 2m and cross rep to 70cm. Several HF nets too. I believe there is something on each day of the week. You can also sign into echolink through the internet and get on the air from anywhere. As long as your license class allows you to broadcast on the freq you are interested in.

http://echolink.org/

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

First licensed February 1958. Extra Class Since 1969 or so. Used to be very active with VHF/UHF contests, then QRP CW. Not very active now.

Former K3HLU, N4JS, TF2WKT (Iceland 1967-68), and currently W2A**.
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply