CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
(03-14-2012 08:03 AM)Gazby Wrote:  Not sure if a CB radio counts Smile

It's better than no radio. Cool

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

03-14-2012 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Lewy Offline

New Members

Machine: Respironics System One Autp A-Flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics full face
Humidifier: System One Heated
CPAP Pressure: 11-18
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Cool RE: CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
n0lewy/KL7. That's a permanent KL7, but I got to choose my call back in 1066. That' a long time ago, so I kept it. Doesn't much matter because I'm rarely on the air these days. My tower climbing days are long gone. Besides I was into CW traffic and tornado watching in the zero days. Now zero is a nice spring temperature, not part of a call sign.

It's a bummer to have to hide the call sign, but the call gives away the whole ball game. That puts spammers and mosquitos into the same category. Ah, well.

73 de n0lewy Cool
03-14-2012 05:29 PM
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

(03-14-2012 08:15 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
(03-14-2012 08:03 AM)Gazby Wrote:  Not sure if a CB radio counts Smile

It's better than no radio. Cool

i've always had a cb radio but don't have it hooked up now. i still have my license. remember when we had to apply for a license and were supposed to keep station records and all that?
03-14-2012 05:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Patrick_Henry Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: F&P HC604
Mask Make & Model: F&P HC 431 (Forma)
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

I thought about it one time and never got around to it. I wound up buying a radio during my trucking days that turned out to be illegal. It's an export made by connex, once I found out it was illegal, I took it out of the truck and it's been collecting dust ever since. The hammies would get real upset when they heard me talking on it and asked what kind of radio it was. I was like EF Hutton when I keyed the mike up, it's a BIG talker for a mobile unit. I always stayed on the CB radio frequencies with it, but I had an OLD Gray Electronics linear on it. It would just bleed over, you couldn't talk to someone close with it. Here's a link to one just like it.

You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
03-14-2012 06:09 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(03-14-2012 05:29 PM)Lewy Wrote:  n0lewy/KL7. That's a permanent KL7, but I got to choose my call back in 1066. That' a long time ago, so I kept it. Doesn't much matter because I'm rarely on the air these days. My tower climbing days are long gone. Besides I was into CW traffic and tornado watching in the zero days. Now zero is a nice spring temperature, not part of a call sign.
73 de n0lewy Cool

Welcome, Lewy... good to see more hams around here. We're a special breed, I think.

Can't say that I ever climbed a tower... my dad did however... he's a WA9xxx from the early 60's. Finally tore his 40 ft. tower down in 2008 or so... we're both running 80 inverted V dipoles to communicate with each other now. Mine is the funniest looking thing in the world... since my lot isn't that big, the 80 m wraps around my house on one end... keying the mic has all sorts of interesting effects upon the household electronics. Too-funny CW shuts down just about everything in the house. Coffee Haven't gotten on in a few weeks however... need to do that.

My friend Bob became a silent key back in 2009. He was a good guy and had an unbelievable spare bedroom that he used for his shack... I could have died when I was told his wife sold basically all his equipment to one stranger for about $1500. It was worth many, many times that amount. Oh-jeez

This is him in his shack, showing about 1/8 of his equipment- it was stuffed with stuff:

[Image: w9kkl.jpg]

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

03-14-2012 08:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I'd like to get a CB for my truck. A good 2m rig (or better yet, a mobile HF) and a CB and I'm set for the road!
03-15-2012 02:09 AM
Abearir Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model:
CPAP Pressure: 15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Newly diagnosed hose head ham lurker checking in.

DE

N7xxx
04-14-2012 11:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

LOL Wonder if there's any Hose Head nets?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

04-15-2012 01:49 AM
TorontoCPAPguy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Autoset II
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro FFM
Humidifier: H5i; Control III Germicide
CPAP Pressure: 12-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50EW Oximeter; Everflo Q O2 Concentrator; O2 Analyzer; Climate Control Hose (winter)

Ham Radio Operators are technogeeks. Ask me how I know! (Why are we XXXing out our callsigns?).
Murray VE3XX
and XYL Joy VA3XX
Also had a US callsign which lapsed. Doh. WA9VXX

Someone please tell me why we are remaining anonymouse?

We have not been very active and are still in the midst of an insurance claim for tornado damage to our antenna system although we can go mobile whenever we want:

ICOM IC-706MkIIg (I love it)
TH7DXX at 75 feet turned with a Telex HDR300A rotator (gears stripped in Tornado)
160/80/40M Inverted Vee (good for 5BDXCC long ago and was working on 5BWAZ when H1N1 and life support struck me)
NO amp - sold my amp in order to buy a "superamp" just before getting hit by H1N1.
Lots of peripherals; old TO keyer as well as the latest in keyers; lots of VHF/UHF gear, base, mobile, handheld.

Screwdriver Antenna for Ford Flex 80-10M w/automatic controller and foldover mount (love it). The control head from the IC706 mounts on a mount or mounts that can be put anywhere... set up for cellphone mounts.

5BDXCC, WAS, WAC, and about 100 worldwide awards from a period that I chased them. 300+ countries confirmed (200 countries confirmed mobile while we travel.... the #1 question asked is "you really mobile?"). Love CW at any speed 5 - 40 WPM. (The speed came in my teens as I could only afford CW transmitters).

Ham radio has been good for me; it set me on my path in life and gave me a successful career enabling me to retire at 53. I was even in the ham radio business for a number of years before moving on to bigger and better markets.

Pix of my home and station are on QRZ-dot-com........... any reason not to post a callsign? I am very security conscious and tend to keep personal information private or within a group that is secure.

73 & 88 as the case may be!

__
SK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.
05-30-2012 01:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(05-30-2012 01:49 PM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote:  any reason not to post a callsign? I am very security conscious and tend to keep personal information private or within a group that is secure.

Some of us are just paranoid, delusional privacy freaks, perhaps. Too-funny

If someone knows your call sign, they can also look up your home address using the FCC's online database. Also if you list all your expensive ham radio and computer equipment on the Internet with pics and descriptions... a potential thief might be tempted to come to your house and steal your stuff, after learning on a public forum that you're leaving town for a family vacation.

I suppose that it's possible for someone to figure out who I am and where I live if they spend enough time or money researching it... I'm just not going to make it easy for them, though.

Give me enough time and about $50 for a paid private online investigative service, and with only a ham radio call sign to start with, I can find out just about everything about you - your real name, your wife's name, your kid's names, your home address and any real estate you own, your birthdates, social security numbers, how much property tax you paid last year, your home's worth, a full satellite view of your house and yard and the surrounding neighborhood, and maybe even a Google street view of the front of your house, your home phone number, your cell phone number, email addresses you've used, your full and complete credit history, even listing your bank account numbers, loans, credit cards, etc.

In addition, if you've been active on the Internet for several years, I can find out a TON of additional personal information about you that might be useful if I were a criminal.

If someone really wants to find out all about you, and they have the time and even a very modest budget to pay for some of that info, they can very easily do it. But they first must know a couple of basic things about you, like your ham radio call sign, which can lead them to all sorts of other information.

The whole idea in online security is not to become completlely immune to this sort of criminal activity... (since true security is nearly impossible - anyone can find out all the above info about you if they're dedicated enough to do the work)...

Rather, the idea is to make it more difficult for a criminal to target you personally by putting up "firewalls" of security between your online ID and your real ID, so they forget about you and go for a much easier target.

73 DE KB9xxx

Smile

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-30-2012 02:45 PM