CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
big_dave Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One DS560
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

Sex: Male

RE: CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
I was active in ham radio when I was in high school (1978-1981) but I never got back to it after I went away to college. I'd thought about taking the test again and requesting my old call sign as a vanity call sign, but someone else beat me to it about a year ago. It sounded catchy on CW. Buying a new rig isn't in the budget right now, and I live in apartment, so putting up an antenna would be difficult.

I sold my old Hallicrafters rig to a collector about 5 years ago. I hadn't fired it up in about 20 years, but he thought he would be able to get it running again.
05-30-2012 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I've been considering getting a screwdriver antenna for my truck. Any suggestions as to maker?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-30-2012 05:07 PM
TorontoCPAPguy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Autoset II
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro FFM
Humidifier: H5i; Control III Germicide
CPAP Pressure: 12-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50EW Oximeter; Everflo Q O2 Concentrator; O2 Analyzer; Climate Control Hose (winter)

I was and am using a High Sierra but think that they have stopped making them and moved on to accessories and bits and pieces. If you look at the reviews on QRZ.com or eHam.net you will find a pretty good set of reviews on screwdriver antennas. Last time I was on there and looked at the reviews it was a dead heat between the High Sierra and another. Whatever you do, don't go with a Yaesu ATAS or Hustler, etc., unless you want mediocre performance. The performace of the High Sierra was incredible (and still is... when we put it on the vehicle). It was solid as heck too. Hit by a truck and the only thing messed up was the mount (bent all out of shape... solid steel) and the plastic tubing around the antenna coil (replaced cheap). I was and am impressed. Oh, one other thing. High Sierra has a rather unique mount that permits on/off in about 10 seconds. It is a bronze cone that the antenna sits in and uses a clamp to hold it in place. All one needs to do is keep the bronze shiny and the thing works AMAZINGLY well and permits you taking it off for storage in the trunk (or back of SUV) in a flash. We put orange/red/white striped reflective 'emergency' tape on the mount parts and on the antenna so folks would stop bumping into it. Never had an issue again. Some folks have taken their mount into a vehicle paint shop and have had it powder coat painted reflective orange or red. That is more expensive but I'll bet it works like a charm. We installed a trailer hitch and got their adapter (still available I think) to allow us to mount the antenna to the hitch. Now that we are planning to buy a trailer, we are having a trailer hitch installed on the carframe sticking out the side of the vehicle (easier than it sounds).

Too bad the High Sierra is not being made any longer. He said there was no money in making a high quality antenna with everyone copying it with cheap construction. If you can find a High Sierra, I'd snap it up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.
05-31-2012 12:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Thanks for the tip.

I'll hit some ham fairs (there's a big one in Shelby and another in Charlotte) and see what I can find.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-31-2012 12:15 PM
swj123 Offline

New Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: n0xx

Hello all, This is my first post. I just saw this ham radio thread. First I was recommended here from another ham that has sleep apnea and after talking to him realize that I probably have it. I am going to sked a doctor appoitment this week. I never knew this was such a big deal but last night I am sure I had a pretty serious event.
As far as ham radio goes. I got my novice license in 1967 at the age of 11 and General at 13. At the time I was one of the youngest hams in Iowa. Now Extra class with the 20wpm test. Have done about everything in the hobby over the years. What a great hobby it has been for me. I am currently not active since we have moved from the country (near the bridges of madison county) to the burbs near wdm.
I will get active again one of these days. I am going to take the next few days and read as many as posts as I can about sleep apnea and learn as much as I can. What a great forum. Thanks and 73
08-25-2012 11:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Welcome to ApneaBoard, OM!

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-26-2012 12:19 AM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Okay YL - I,m OM too Dielaughing
08-26-2012 01:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
BonesX Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14/16
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Welcome swj123, glad you made it to the forum.
08-26-2012 09:10 PM
swj123 Offline

New Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: n0xx

thanks everyone for the welcome. I'm feeling sleepy already. 73
08-26-2012 10:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Welcome fellow hams! SHa_biggrin5

My old 80 meter wrap-around dipole broke recently and I simply tied the wire together to "make do" in case I need to transmit. Fortunately I have an MFJ tuner that can compensate for my lack of proper length and hopefully give me low enough SWR temporarily. Bought some new heavy gauge copper wire that I have to put up to replace the old stuff. Man, copper ain't cheap these days!

Anyone been on 20, 40 or 80 HF recently? How are the bands?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

08-26-2012 11:57 PM