CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
Good to see you here again TorontoCPAPguy...

I see you're a WA9... so is my Dad who got me into ham radio.

I have yet to put up any of my antennae since we moved from Indiana here to Dixon, IL last fall... No tower, but I'm sort of on a hill, so my first project needs to be my vertical base 2 meter, then the rest are going to be inverted V dipoles... first 80 meters, then 20, then 10... and maybe another band or two once all that is up.

So many projects, so little time... Thinking-about

KB9xxx

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-01-2014 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
TorontoCPAPguy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Autoset II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro FFM
Humidifier: H5i; Control III Germicide
CPAP Pressure: 12-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50EW Oximeter; Everflo Q O2 Concentrator; O2 Analyzer; Climate Control Hose (winter)

(03-03-2012 09:45 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  
PaulaO Wrote:Heck, I've listened in to the International Space Station! They have a good ham radio and nearly every set of crew has at least one licensed operator.

Did you know that all gear designed and built for the ISS is very, very special and not just "off the shelf". Not sure what all of the differences are exactly but I know it is built to a much more stringent and rugged standard that normal gear. It is made with special components that will not contaminate the atmosphere in the ISS and shielding that protects it from various forms of radiation, etc. It also uses components and construction that are 'explosion proof' much like those that are used in hospital equipment meant for use in a room where oxygen is in heavy use.

I have heard the ISS a number of times but have never been fortunate enough to contact them myself.

We have a TH7 at about 75 feet with a VHF/UHF antenna above that and being in Richmond Hill, we are, of course, at the top of the hill and from the top of the tower can see almost 100miles across Lake Ontario. Can make contact with folks in Buffalo and Rochester NY with a one watt handy talky on VHF. Use an ICOM IC-702 in the house and in the car when we travel along with a screwdriver antenna and that was a load of fun to be sure.

Am a life member of TFMCS, ARRL and RAC. Going to try and get active again before the snow flies here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.
10-02-2014 12:17 PM
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

WA6xxx checking in. Haven't put up any antennas since moving back to 9 land to retire. Used to spend every night on the Pupule Net freq. 7.288 with a good bunch of nuts. The hailing call there is QPU. Currently there are 1002 members so it can get hectic. Alas, the computer stole me away from ham radio. I sold my TS-520 and haven't been on the air for over 10 yrs. Got my first ticket in 1959. Still keep it alive but probably will not use it. There was a time I couldn't imagine saying what I just did.

73's to all.
10-02-2014 08:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

What's sad is when you show a young person a ham radio and tell them that you can talk half-way around the world with it, they're like "yeah, so what? You can do that with the Internet all day long..."

It's the same generation that thinks that beef, milk, eggs and cheese all come from the supermarket, and if they saw a cow butchered, or how "sanitary" milk cows are in their stalls or the conditions of most hen houses, they would be "grossed out" massively.

Ugh, I'm sounding like an old geezer already. oldman

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-02-2014 11:07 PM
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Yes, I agree, that is indeed a shame they won't get to experience all the excitement that I remember when first getting a rig on the air.

It brings back another incident that happened when I was 10 years old. My friend Tom and I had built our own spark gap transmitters (core element = Model T Ford spark coil) and crystal receivers for a grand attempt at establishing communications between our houses that were a mile apart as the crow flies. We didn't manage to QSL but I did manage to get a QRN warning from my parents who were trying to listen to the Jack Benny show on the radio upstairs.

It would be years later before I would get QRM reports from the neighbors when living in an apartment building and trying to time my ham activities to hours when nobody was watching TV. Those were not the good old days since TVI was hard to avoid when TV sets had little or no filtering built in to suppress anything outside the TV band and blamed the ham for any and all TVI. Herring bone tweed was a term I wish I had never heard of. Smile

If you count the adolescent bootlegging I did, I've been hamming for 68 years now! ARRL OTC status for sure!

Telling that story to a kid nowadays gets me that vacant stare that tells me they're only listening out of respect and couldn't care less about it all. I probably reacted the same when my grandpa told me about how he used to do all the marvelous thing he did in his blacksmith shop. Goes around, comes around is the term that comes to mind. Smile

73 de WA6xxx
10-03-2014 08:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
WSHenry Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar DS560S
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: PR System One + Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 6-15 cm H2O

Other Comments:

KJ7FD here. Not active now, but hold an Amateur Advanced license. Actually started in professional radio, with an FCC 1st Radiotelephone License w/Ship Radar Endorsement. Did marine mobile, broadcast and land mobile installations and repairs. The amateur license was a "prepper" response to having to drive home in the dark after a massive power outage in the midst of whiteout conditions. I vowed for years that I'd always have at least a dual-band mobile available to stay in touch and call for assistance if needed. That was years before cell phones were widely used.
10-03-2014 07:09 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Amateur Extra here. Licensed since 2010. Wife holds a Tech license. I'm active locally in a radio club in town. Check in to nets, boring as that is, but I don't do much else for now. Just bought the lot next to us, limited in height for a tower due to power lines but should be plenty of room for some other goodies.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-04-2015 09:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

I became WN8*** while a HS junior taking classes at DARA in the sixties. Not long after that I obtained wheels and discovered gurlz so 'talking' to a bunch of OMs didn't seem to hold much interest after that.
Now I am the OM.
Oh-jeez

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
05-04-2015 11:56 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Did you jump on the CB bandwagon in the late 70's? I still have some of those radios somewhere in my storage room. I must have had about a dozen mobile and base radios. They just sort of found their way to my house when people got tired of it. I have an old D104 silver eagle that I need to restore. That was the mike I used back then as well as a Regency desk mike.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
05-04-2015 02:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

embarrassed to say I did a lotta rag chewing on CD. Even when I tried to be a real HAM few could stand my 5 wpm fist and inability to spell. Thank goodness for spell check.DielaughingDielaughingDielaughing

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
05-04-2015 02:59 PM