CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
FLcracker Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips PR System One REMstar Auto 60 Series
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: F&P Opus 360
Humidifier: Came Attached
CPAP Pressure: 9.5 - 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Resident Thread Killer

Sex: Male

RE: CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
Many years ago ('79), I was fortunate to have a best friend that was a Gen Class HAM... His call sign was W9GEJ, located in Angola IN.

Like our much appreciated Miss Trish, he was totally blind from birth, so all of you who might have gained that level of a license back then, could understand just how special he was.

His name was John, and he would always phonetically ID/spell his name to others on air as 'John...Jolly Ol' Half Nuts'... He was excellent with a speedkey, and could send and receive CW with the best, but always especially enjoyed vocal contacts

I used to sit by him in the 'radio shack', and watch, listen and observe, while he'd call and answer CQ's on a Drake TR6SSB transceiver, sent via an inverted V antenna located on top of his large two story house. All of his gear he set up and maintained himself.....

After I had learned enough on-air etiquette, he'd allow me to talk with contacts. I became real interested in getting a license, but in reality, I was just never capable of even getting past 5 wpm, to obtain even an entry level ticket, so I eventually gave up the idea...

But as a former OTR trucker, I got pretty heavy into CB. Kept a 'tweaked' unit in my cab, that was around 10w barefoot, and a 100w kicker for 'special occasions'. Went by "Saddle Tramp"... My truck was permitted for all 48, so maybe at one time or another I've 'breaker one nine'd for a local', in your neighborhood...

John passed some years back, and I will always miss him and all of his many special his accomplishments and traits.... But I'll always truly miss our times in the RS, spent on that Drake..

Blessings to all you good folks who have kept HAM alive and well. And like my friend Miss Trish always says... "Hang In There"!!

FLc
05-30-2015 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

great story about your friend John Jolly Ol' Half Nuts
05-30-2015 08:47 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Man, you all are making me want to get off the computer and install my 80 & 20 meter inverted V's.

Maybe someone can help me... I used to live in Indiana on a very small lot, and my 75/80 meter inverted V wasn't really inverted all that much (about 10 feet vertically) and my lot was so small I had to wrap one end of the wire around the side of my house. My progagation pattern must have looked quite strange... it worked great, but now that I've moved to Illinois, I have a somewhat bigger lot, so I'm hoping I can figure out a way to not wrap the 80 meter around the house...

Anyone tell me roughly how long an 80 meter dipole needs to be from one end to the other (if it wasn't inverted)??

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-30-2015 01:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I don't have my EZNEC program anymore.
Since you ask for roughly...
1/4 wave at 80 meters = 20 meters.
20 meters =65.5 feet.

I think to be non-reactive mid band, about 64 feet would be near spot on.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 01:44 PM by justMongo.)
05-30-2015 01:38 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Thanks Mongo, now I have to look outside with the measuring tape and see where I can attach stuff... Coffee

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-30-2015 01:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(05-30-2015 01:38 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I don't have my EZNEC program anymore.
Since you ask for roughly...
1/4 wave at 80 meters = 20 meters.
20 meters =65.5 feet.

I think to be non-reactive mid band, about 64 feet would be near spot on.

Gave you bad data. Don't know where my head was at. Need 1/2 wave for dipole. Look for 126 feet overall.

05-30-2015 05:00 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

The old school formula for 1/2 wave is 468/frequency in Mhz as a starting point. You can trim up from there. Half 468 to 234 for 1/4 wave.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 06:31 PM by AlanE.)
05-30-2015 06:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(05-30-2015 06:31 PM)AlanE Wrote:  The old school formula for 1/2 wave is 468/frequency in Mhz as a starting point. You can trim up from there. Half 468 to 234 for 1/4 wave.

That's the one. There's also a velocity factor that shortens the length slightly.

I've never had room for an 80 meter antenna. It's nearly impossible to get it high enough to get the ground plane effect out of play.

W7EL sells a nice GUI version of NEC called EZNEC.

05-30-2015 07:55 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

(05-30-2015 07:55 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I've never had room for an 80 meter antenna. It's nearly impossible to get it high enough to get the ground plane effect out of play.

Interesting.. mine back in Indiana was (maybe) 20 feet off the ground at the top of the inverted V, with the ends being around 8-10 feet off the ground.... and I got real good propagation with strong signal reports (as far as 80 meters propagation goes) barefoot with 100 watts with my Yaesu FT-840. And that was with one half of the antenna wrapped around my house... It was tuned for about the middle of the band and I used an MFJ antenna tuner to get the SWR down when going up or down from the mid-point.

As far as the ground plane effect - I forgot - what is that exactly? Is that where the antenna needs to be at least a certain percentage of the wavelength off the ground? I can't remember much from the days when I read about all the different antenna theory stuff. Memory ain't what it used to be. Shy

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-30-2015 11:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Most antenna theory is done for antennas in free space. When there is a ground plane in the near field, propagation pattern, Z0, and resonant frequency are shifted.

I had a 10 meter dipole up at 15 feet that was essentially an omni directional antenna. I used it for 10 meter SSB plus satellite mode J with Oscar 14.

05-31-2015 06:24 AM