CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
ArthurLaurent Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed
Humidifier: ResMed Internal
CPAP Pressure: 10-25 (ASV)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators...
First licensed as an 11-year old: WN4***, which changed into WA4*** after I upgraded to General. (You had to make the upgrade in a year, or lose your license. No Novice renewal in those days.) Took the tests in the FCC building in DC. Worst straight keys ever, and a strong smell of cigarette smoke all through the building. I loved CW on 40, where the band is always open to somewhere!

Worked up to my Extra when I was 15. Active until I went to college, then got interested in the usual things (school, girls, cars) and abandoned ham radio for a while. Got back into ham radio in the 90's. I think the tests are much easier these days! Went through General and got to Extra (again) right as they took the CW requirement first to 5 wpm, and then eleiminated it. Tried to get my old callsign, but some fellow in NC has it. Got a KD4***, which is ok. (And quicker on CW than my old call... which MIGHT have had a couple Z's in it...)

I work HF in a nice park or church parking lot when I get the urge. Or pretty much anywhere with tall trees or a flagpole. Always run barefoot, usually around 75w (power from a deep cycle battery and two solar panels), into a Carolina Windham as high as I can get it. (60 feet on a good day) Lately gotten into NVIS, so don't have to look for high trees any more. But NVIS really only works well on 160 and 80m... and sort of on 40m.

2m and 440 MHz radios in the car (1/2 wave for 2m, collinear 5/8th for 440), where I do most of my hamming these days. A nice old FT990DC, and an Icom 7000 for park sitting, and an Elecraft K2 for QRP. I love to build stuff!

73 de Arthur
07-30-2015 11:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Welcome Arthur!

de me

[Image: antenna.gif]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

07-31-2015 12:10 AM
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

WD4ET here.

I like bicycling, computing, QRP, robotics, programming, and prototyping.

That's a short list. So many hobbies, so little time.

de, Jeff

Sleep is worth the effort.
07-31-2015 07:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

Hi Arthur,

I got the Novice when I was a young lad in the sixties. I didn't manage to go further until the 70s. I got my extra when you still had to do the five minute 20 wpm test. QRP CW on 40 meters is still my favorite mode.

I have an early K2 serial number 155. I would like to have one of the new K3s but they are a little out of my budget. Maybe someday?

72, Jeff

07-31-2015 07:37 PM
ArthurLaurent Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Make & Model: ResMed
Humidifier: ResMed Internal
CPAP Pressure: 10-25 (ASV)

Other Comments:

(07-31-2015 07:37 PM)foss Wrote:  I got the Novice when I was a young lad in the sixties. I didn't manage to go further until the 70s. I got my extra when you still had to do the five minute 20 wpm test. QRP CW on 40 meters is still my favorite mode.

I never really understood how I passed the 20 wpm CW test with a straight key. But I did. (I prefer the Semi-auto "bugs" over iambic keyer. I prefer a lot of machanical things over their super-up modern counterparts.) I took my bug to the FCC, but the examiner wouldn't let me use it. Probably not dusty or rusty enough! Ha Ha Ha

40m rules! It's always open somewhere. When I was a kid with one antenna (twisted together pieces of 24-AWG I got from a bag our MaBell neighbor left on our doorstep), more or less "cut" for 80m, not up very high, I always got an answer with I called CQ. The tube rigs were more forgiving of high SWR than the solid-state rigs. (I never had an SWR meter til I upgraded to Extra.)

Separate crystal-controlled Xmtr, and a REALLY broadband receiver (when I said I was "listening to 80m," I meant I was listening to the entire 75-80m band, and more!). I worked with what I had, and never knew it wasn't supposed to work.

I've been lusting after a K3 also...Maybe next year!

73 de Arthur
08-04-2015 12:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

I still prefer a straight key. I rarely use the "extra" part of the bands. I prefer the area around 7040. I have a couple of the fancy paddles attached to electronic keyers. I even built one that uses the old "Curtis" iambic keyer chips. Most new radios have keyers built in. My NC40A designed by Wayne Burdick of Elecraft fame even has a built in keyer with a code based frequency annunciator.

Nice qso!

de Jeff

08-04-2015 06:57 PM
icyura10 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Respironiscs DreamWear under the nose nasal ma
Humidifier: INCLUDED
CPAP Pressure: IPAP (20); EPAP (12); PS (8)

Other Comments: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in!

Location: I'm just a Galactic Traveler Traversing the Universe on a Blue Rock!

Good Grief!

What a read... I took a course at a College in 1978 from of all people Gordon West!

My dad begged me to get my ticket ever since I can remember. (he's had his ticket since um.. 43' (he was 12). Of course, I was a typical kid, balked at everything.

His grandfather bought him a Hammarlund SP-400 radio for $12. It was AM / CW. There are many things about that radio I don't recall now as it's well over 40 years ago now.

Dad used it for many years, and that was my first radio in my room (I was 6!) We hooked up a minimal dipole so I could receive some CW and some of the AM stations (Yes, I could listen to Vinny Sculley announce the Dodgers games)

I'd turn it on and was always amazed watching all the tubes start to change color. Took some 5 minutes for the tubes to warm up and then it would frequency drift for the next 40 minutes until the air flows in the case got hot enough the incoming air didn't cause the Xtals and tubes to vary all that much... But for the first 40 minutes I was always tuning the bloody thing.

In this day and age, you can't even talk to anyone about BFO's let alone rectifiers of this breed and other things.. All the kiddies know about these days, if they're lucky are PLL's.

Anyway, I walked into the college one day and my Comp Sci. prof came up to me and using his Texas Drawl, said, "You got your Ham Ticket?"

Of course, I said, "no sir"

My prof grabbed me by the scruff of the neck, walked me through the registration line (I was like 4 hrs from the front) walked up to an empty terminal and registered me.. first course I was registered in was Gordon West's course. All my other courses got scheduled around that! So I got my ticket without my Dad's knowledge. When he found out, I had my ticket, it made his day! He found out when I went home with my interim Novice ticket and I put it under his dinner plate. I'd turned his dinner plate upside down so he'd find it.

From that point forward, when it was time to get registered, I'd call my Prof, and he'd grab me by the ear and drag me through the massive lines, find a open terminal and register me for whatever I wanted... of course he'd also say, you don't want this prof but you do wan this one.. .

And I too had to take all my tests in person in front of the FCC Examiners In Long Beach, Ca. And when I got my Tech, I could use 2M and sign KA6??? Mobile Interim LB.

I've drug my 6 call all over the country, It's been in the land of 5, and 2, and 3... right now it's on the back of my Galactic Speedster sporting enough antennas and black out windows it looks like a porcupine in the land of 4... until I do something else.. The cops and I all wave at each other as we pass!! [I drive a Crown Vic Police Interceptor so it sticks out like a sore thumb, spotlight and all]

In the old days (good grief, I can't believe I can say things like that) I would go for a job interview. Either on my belt or in my suit pocket I'd have a 2M handi talkie... I can't tell you how many times I'd been offered jobs just because I had my ham ticket!

I was in Tx. in the early 80's with a Motorola 5 frequency Handi. I was waiting to go to a job interview and was sitting out by the pool in my suit and RayBan aviator lenses that were extra dark, drinking some coffee, smoking a cigarette. There were at least 30 workers that were there to clean rooms and the like. I pulled out the Motorola and all I heard was "Immigration, Immigration" and they all scattered like cockroaches when you turn on the light in a dark room.

Oh well... I'm fortunate, my parents are still with me and while all the folks in my family still have their tickets and they we're all valid, dad's just about as deaf as a door post. About the only way I can talk with dad these days is via txt on his cell phone.. So I haven't any real complaints about the smart phones.. txt on the smart phone is the equivalent to CW for my dad since he can't hear me anymore, but he can still read.

So that's my story n' I'm stickin' to it! Crazy

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016 09:28 PM by icyura10.)
08-19-2016 09:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Foghorn10580 Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed V10Auto
Mask Make & Model: Air fit
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: Unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

WA9xxx here. Licensed 09/1967 aged 13 as WN9xxx, eventually working my way to extra in 1974 with all steps in front of an fcc examiner. First FCC phone ticket in 1983. Spent my life in rf communication. Now retired. Enjoy cw on 40 and 20 with a wire and bug. I've done it all, satellite, microwave, rtty, tv, but always come back to good ole cw.
Fog
08-22-2016 07:29 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

The exams are not that hard. I sat for Gen and extra in one session.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-22-2016 08:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

The testing and requirements have loosened up over the years. Getting any ticket wasn't a walk in the park back in the 60's & 70's (per my Dad). And sometimes you had to travel a bit of distance to take an exam if there was no FCC Examiner near you - couldn't just take a test at the local ham club back then.

Got my Novice in the 90's which required a 5 wpm code test then. That was at the Fort Wayne IN Hamfest - and I remember getting to meet Gordon West WB9NOA (hams from back then will recognise that name). Talked to Mr. West a bit (very nice guy), and he signed a version of his own "Novice Certificate" for me (not the official one from FCC, but pretty cool to me at that time; still have it framed). Later I upgraded to Technician Plus, and then to General, but even then for the General I had to pass a 13 wpm code test.

Now, no code test is required for any level of ticket, and I'm pretty sure the exam question pools are a bit easier than they used to be. But I'm glad that they required me to get to a certain level of code proficiency, regardless of today's lesser requirements. I would like to get back into CW at some point.

I suppose I probably should upgrade to the Amateur Extra class license, especially since there's no code requirement and only 50 questions on the test. I could use the refresher on theory and the regs anyway.

And then I have to get my ham shack set up again and my 80, 20 & 10 meter dipoles at least. Been sayin' that for a few years now, unfortunately. Oh-jeez

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

08-22-2016 09:15 PM