Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods.
Sad 
CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods.
Does anyone know the correlation between body temperature and central apnea? A few times per year, if I have spicy foods near bedtime, every time, my body temperature goes haywire. I end up in bed a few hours later, with a low temperature, 95-96, and even with the mask on, ASV, I’ll have apnea’s and breathe myself awake. Mask is on and working. It’s super bizarre, and terrifying, considering the mask is on and working, back to dozens of times per hour, with my system running. I have to triple up robes and blankets, freezing cold, shivers and tremors. I know that melatonin is released when your temperature drops, after a hot shower etc, but man...uhhh. Help.

Tonight, after eating my stupid spicy Mayo sandwich, I’m fine. A few hours later, taking a super hot shower, then I feel flu-like, body ache symptoms, and I can feel my temperature trying to change. 95 degrees. Mask on, settings are normal, no issues at all, but I’m still having events.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods.
I do know people have different sensitivities to foods and spices.  Just recently found out that thyme causes significant increases in my apnea.  If I have thyme during the day (lunch time included) I will have a bad night.  Don't know if it's my chemistry or what, but it is sure a real effect.  Likewise, if there is a spice mix that has thyme in it, like zataar, same restless and apnea filled nights.  For me, all apnea events increase with thyme.  Apparently, it's a spice I need to remove for my diet, if I want to sleep ok.  

Perhaps you should try to further identify the spice, that way perhaps you can avoid it in the future.  Hopefully it is only one item that you are sensitive to.  If you use OSCAR notes, you can write down what you had the day before and exactly what happened.  And fine tune or isolate the spice or compound that is causing the problem.  Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
We've never had food allergies in our families, but a few years back our daughter, early 50's, became allergic to most common types of pepper--chili, bell, paprika, etc.--everything but common black pepper. She has a serious reaction--has to carry an epi pen You can't believe all the common food that has to be eliminated--it seems paprika is in everything! I'd suggest getting some allergy testing done in case it worsens--it isn't anything to fool around with!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2021, 04:05 PM)happydreams Wrote: I do know people have different sensitivities to foods and spices.  Just recently found out that thyme causes significant increases in my apnea.  If I have thyme during the day (lunch time included) I will have a bad night.  Don't know if it's my chemistry or what, but it is sure a real effect.  Likewise, if there is a spice mix that has thyme in it, like zataar, same restless and apnea filled nights.  For me, all apnea events increase with thyme.  Apparently, it's a spice I need to remove for my diet, if I want to sleep ok.  

Perhaps you should try to further identify the spice, that way perhaps you can avoid it in the future.  Hopefully it is only one item that you are sensitive to.  If you use OSCAR notes, you can write down what you had the day before and exactly what happened.  And fine tune or isolate the spice or compound that is causing the problem.  Good luck.

I’m revisiting this thread today with exactly these issues, it’s Nightshades for me, even at lunch, like you said.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2021, 12:13 AM)SideSleeper Wrote: We've never had food allergies in our families, but a few years back our daughter, early 50's, became allergic to most common types of pepper--chili, bell, paprika, etc.--everything but common black pepper.  She has a serious reaction--has to carry an epi pen   You can't believe all the common food that has to be eliminated--it seems paprika is in everything!  I'd suggest getting some allergy testing done in case it worsens--it isn't anything to fool around with!

I’m revisiting this post a few years later because of the same issues. I was never notified of anybody’s responses ??

It seems I have a food intolerance to nightshades. Same things, paprika, chili, jalepenos, even tomatoes and potatoes. It’s not an allergy, but if I eat these things at any point during the day, I’m going to have a bad night. And man, you’re so right about it. Those peppers (my favorite foods of all time ?) are in literally everything. It’s so hard to find food that won’t screw me up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense11 temperature regulation Lostsleep 25 7,870 10-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: M Friedman
  Resmed AirSense 10 Heater Plate Temperature JerryK 30 6,092 11-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Chriheat
  Any products out there to track body positions? CorruptAlligator 12 1,519 10-26-2021, 12:01 AM
Last Post: S. Manz
  Theoretically, could there be PAP-pods ? (whole body pressurized sleep) DaveCar 10 1,159 10-19-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: archangle
  [Equipment] Resmed Climateline Temperature Auto GrandpaSteve 2 756 10-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Last Post: GrandpaSteve
  Tube Temperature SwirlySauce 7 1,370 05-25-2021, 09:26 AM
Last Post: biorn
  Temperature of the sleep environment and Apnea correlation? CorruptAlligator 1 655 05-23-2021, 12:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.