Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Homme Pensant's Therapy Thread
Homme Pensant's Therapy Thread
Hi,

I'm a new member and this is my first post.  I would like to thank everyone for all of the information you've been sharing as it's been very useful in helping me gain a basic understanding of Sleep Apnea and possible ways to improve my situation.   

I have CSA - central sleep apnea (not obstructive) and am about three weeks into using an Aircurve ASV.  I think I've had this condition for a number of years and it's really impacted my life negatively.  I'm hopeful the ASV will give good results and I can possibly return to better health.

I'm seeing limited improvement in sleep quantity, but still not really seeing much energy improvement.  I did have a couple of nights of very low AHI, but now I'm up at 6-8.  I have my first follow-up appointment with my sleep doctor next week and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for possible air pressure adjustments that might reduce my AHI?  I've attached my OSCAR screenshot from last night.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

[attachment=37987]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Homme Pensant's Therapy Thread
Welcome to the board.

When you have grouped H events it shows positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you cut off your own airway by the position you are sleeping. You are dropping your chin to your sternum.

Positional apnea can not be improved with changes in pressures, it can only be helped by staying out of that position.

It could be from sleeping on your back or sleeping on to high pillows. If it can not be helped with those changes you will need to use a collar.

Please look at the link in my signature at the bottom of the post about collars. It shows people without and the same people with collars. Hugh difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for the information!  I'll check into getting a collar.  I'm eager to see improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pattern with ASV suggests positional apnea. This is not just sleeping on your back but can be in any position where chin-tucking can occlude the airway. Many members have resolved apnea and hypopnea like yours by using a soft cervical collar, but even avoiding high pillow height could help. Read our wiki here and look at the before and after ASV user's results. I'm sure you will see some similarity in the clustered pattern of events http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar The alternative is to increase EPAP pressure or more pressure support, but I strongly suspect position. Your pressure support is capped at 10 cm. In most cases of CA that is sufficient to cause a breath, but if the airway is open, then higher PS may also help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider.  

I did order a collar online and should receive it this weekend.  I'll start with the flatter pillow tonight.  

I'll report back with results after a little bit of trial time with the collar and after my visit to the sleep doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you will notice a difference, and results will improve. Don't be a stranger. I look forward to following your progress.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I'm just reporting back with an update after a month . . .

Thank you both, Staceyburke and Sleeprider. Your observations about positional apnea and using the cervical collar were quite accurate. I've now gone one month with regular use of the collar and my average AHI is now down to 0.2 (from 6-8), with most nights at 0.0. This has made a huge difference in my daily life. I'm sleeping much better, getting actual rest and recharge, and the constant fatigue/sick feeling/need to nap is gone.

(At my check-up appointment with the sleep doctor, they did not see a reason to adjust my ASV settings.)

I'm very grateful that you took the time to share this important knowledge. It has changed my life. I wish many blessings to both of you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great! Glad to hear this feedback on your good results and better feeling.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Fantastic news! I am so happy for you. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,062 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 158 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,352 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.