Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CSR - What causes & any concerns?
RE: CSR - What causes & any concerns?
You have made great progress with CPAP to deal with a complex apnea problem. Limiting maximum pressure and keeping things simple with EPR off is usually what gets the best results in these cases.   Your patience and diligence in trying alternatives and avoiding too many changes seems to have worked in your favor.  I sometimes wonder if it is better to optimize on CPAP or just let it fail and go for the ASV.   Dont-know
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think issues 7 and 8 can not be overemphasized.
Mask leaks, particularly large leaks, in addition to throwing off the machine's ability to tell what's going on, can also lead to excessive CO2 flushing which could promote CA/CSR events.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2017, 08:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I sometimes wonder if it is better to optimize on CPAP or just let it fail and go for the ASV.

My new sleep doc. will not even suggest ASV unless the conditions are really severe.  There appears to be concerns now that ASV treatment can make heart conditions worse so I felt concerns from the doctor in going forward with any ASV treatment unless it was an extremely bad apnea problem.

I believe moderate complex apnea can be treated with APAP but the patient must be willing to self-adjust the pressures and I don't believe most DMEs or apnea professionals are willing to spend the time required to fine tune the individual settings required.  Mine would have been happy to leave the settings as they were originally from the DME even if I was not sleeping well as long as my results were under AHI 20! 

This is probably the only forum we can turn to & achieve any beneficial results.  I am so very lucky to have done some research to have found all of the wonderful people here.  I will continue to "check-in" from time to time and hopefully be able to let others know that long term help is only a thread and post away.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 12:06 PM)richb Wrote: Even though we can call your CAs machine induced, it is your body's response to the machine that characterizes your particular results.  You have a sensitive "setting" in your CO2 feedback mechanism that triggers the CAs more quickly for you than most other people.  In my own case my setting is so sensitive that just being asleep puts me into Central Hypopnea and periodic breathing.  You can continue searching for that "sweet spot" in your settings but if you can't consistently get your AHI under 5.0 you probably need an ASV machine.  Your sleep doc would characterize your condition as mixed apnea that is not successfully treated by fine tuning your traditional CPAP machine.  You would most likely need a titration on an ASV machine to show that it solves the problem.  Good luck with your search for the best settings.  Keep in mind that if you can't find the sweet spot you just might need that ASV machine.  

Rich

Right on Rich - saw my new sleep doc. today and he said about the same thing (except that CA & OA must be at least over a total of 20 events per hour before looking at any changes).  I have managed to get my pressures right and averaging about 3.25 AHI with CAs about 25% of the AHI.  Very happy there and hope to be able to keep my numbers (and feeling more rested more importantly) in the good range.  So far the new settings have eliminated the CSRs as well!  Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Success (at least for 1 night) in my search for beating complex apnea with APAP treatment!  Night before last I had a horrible night with almost 25 minutes of PB/CSR so I tried new settings (squeeze the max./min. pressures) and at least for a night it worked!  0.84 AHI with 8+ hours sleep in 4 sections (up many times due to prostate and reflux problems) - 7 total events for the entire night equally spread between CA, OA, & H.  I'm hoping that this may encourage others with similar problems to keep working on it and not give up their hopes of better sleep.  New settings are 9.2 - 11.2 with no EPR (was 9.0 - 11.4 no EPR).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2017, 08:25 PM)CB91710 Wrote: I think issues 7 and 8 can not be overemphasized.
Mask leaks, particularly large leaks, in addition to throwing off the machine's ability to tell what's going on, can also lead to excessive CO2 flushing which could promote CA/CSR events.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on the process by which you came to the conclusion that excessive large leaks can lead to excessive CO2 flushing. I can not see the logic path.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
After several weeks of really good results I had a really bad one last night - 8.09% of the night in CSR/Periodic Breathing - felt like no sleep at all and dizzy all day and still tonight.  No idea why but thinking maybe taking another Melatonin (10 mg.) may have contributed to the problem (?) - taking 1 10 mg. now at bedtime.  Posting screenshots so you can see the mixture of OA, CA, and H being classified as CSR.  I know this is just a "one-off" but I would sure like to eliminate these!!!  Any comments greatly appreciated (can see progress and stuff tried earlier in this same post).  Really weird as I took a nap this afternoon for 1-1/2 hr. and had no events!

http://imgur.com/a/dFM5W
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 440 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Day 3 - Intro & Initial Concerns DivaBreather 3 358 09-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  [Treatment] A few concerns about Clear Airway/Leak Rates/Flow Limits jlsmithseven 1 532 01-23-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: jlsmithseven
  [split] Wellue/Viatom Oximeter Issues & Concerns narual 4 794 11-20-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  New to CPAP, Some Questions/Concerns CPAPrincess 20 1,933 04-28-2022, 08:56 PM
Last Post: CPAPrincess
  Concerns of Diagnosis After 1 Week crashbandicoot 0 526 04-24-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: crashbandicoot
  Concerns about new AirCurve 10 ASV lostie42 17 4,219 10-29-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.