Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with Oscar Diagnostics and titrating
Help with Oscar Diagnostics and titrating
Hi, I have only just figured out how to download the Oscar and buy an SD card reader for my Mac. Unfortunately my sleep doctor has been no help after saying I probably have UARS (whatever that means) and recommended me to get a Bipap. That was basically all the help that I got.

I am currently trying to play around with the settings to ge to the point where I have the most energy. I could really use some help explaining my Oscar results and the different modes I have on (I understand what EPAP, IPAP, and PS are but I don't understand how they affect UARS).

Disclosed below is pictures of my OSCAR data and my settings for Philips Respironics bipap are as follows 7 EPAP Min, 4 PS 25 EPAP max.

Could someone also explain what biflex is (I understand its a Philips Respironics term but I have no idea what it means) and what it means. I have a biflex of 1-no idea what that means.

Again how can I best change the settings to help me feel awake after I sleep (I have a meeting with a new doctor coming up but I have decided its in my best interest to become as self educated as possible to know what the right questions are).

Thanks so much in advance, you guys are amazing, and please let me know if more information is required.

[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/24134ec6-731a-4749-bfb4-277ce5981844[/img]
[img]blob:http://www.apneaboard.com/340d23f1-69f9-4d56-8b91-a6b2f529e8f7[/img]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Oscar Diagnostics and titrating
Welcome to the board, there are many very knowledgeable people here that will try to help.  I'm sorry but I could not view your image.  I use a PC and with it you use the F12 button to take a screenshot.  At the bottom of the post is a button "choose a file" - use it to select the screenshot then use the button "add attachment".  that will give the correct size and best view of oscar.  Also check out the last link in this post on charts.  That will tell you what we need to see to help you.

Bipap is a pap machine that you can set the low pressure for exhale, a higher pressure for inhale and the maximum the machine can go to stop apnea. (it may never go that high but it could)

Cpap is a pap machine that has only one pressure it is a continuous pap machine.

The newer Cpap machines (which most of us have) is one that allows you to subtract the EPR 1, 2 or 3 (exhale pressure relief) from the min pressure to make a lower exhale pressure.  Your bipap can do much more . 

PS is like EPR.

A quick explanation of using ps on a bipap

I hope I explained it so it is understandable.  If not ask about what you  don't understand and someone else may better explain it.

The min is the Exhale pressure - The min + PS is the inhale pressure - Max is how high the pressure can go to stop your apnea.  Most people will use 4 and up for the PS.  Using less then you should have been given a newer Cpap because it can go up to 3.

I have a resmed "bipap" and the PS can go up to the 20s pressure.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 858 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,339 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  AXG Sleep Diagnostics? cmpman1974 43 4,340 10-09-2023, 04:06 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Importance of flow limits when titrating ASV raylock1 13 1,408 04-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Last Post: raylock1
  Self-titrating BiPAP for OSA/UARS w/ hypermobility ktopspin888m 3 821 03-29-2023, 08:10 AM
  Help titrating new BiPap - problem with Central Apneas kettle101 7 943 03-12-2023, 09:27 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.