Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Call for Excel VBA help: to support effort to clarify/understand FL
RE: Call for Excel VBA help: to support effort to clarify/understand FL
for some reason the odd 'link' worked for me yesterday but not today.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Having been away from this effort, I'm plugging back in, but going slow because of poor (total lack of) journaling to know exactly where and how to restart and bring this thread near a conclusion. But in this post I step back for a bit from my novice work on tedious details of tidal volume drops (flow limitations, not FL flags) as are buried in huge Excel data files. I attempt to put together a few things gleaned from thoughts about matters posted here and above and about what I have been learning from various members's posts that have received AB advice about flow limitations. 

Next an update about summarizing FL indications Resmed creates and OSCAR displays:

Presently I see no practical nor meaningful way to improve the percentile summary that is somewhat indicative in the OSCAR summary table, "MAX FL". The trouble is that Resmed FL flags, if summarized by adding up their displayed areas would present a blended total area, but that area would only represent, sleep session to session, continually varied combinations of tidal volume drop, FR wave flatness, other wave shape indices and respiratory rate changes. After a time viewing such totals, a viewer might learn to use the total as a "go" or "no-go" signal to take a deeper look at FL as we see them now.

FL flags we see are are worthwhile when interpreted in context of other graphed sleep metrics, but note that in this thread there are some FL almost totally caused by factors other than drops in TV. Our interest is in seeing how much breathing restrictions reduce our inspiratory breath and cause significant SpO2 drop. Machine control by FL shape is of little interest beyond showing us, at times, why pressure rose or dropped. 

Other work to be done or that might be done in this thread if I can get to it:

I do see  a difficult path that could be taken to summarize tidal volume drops (due to all causes) , of the kind this  thread has displayed. But OSCAR would need to do the necessary analytical work or import data from an analysis program. A one time illustration, here, of that  might be helpful

Do presententation graphics of the three cases in the graphics in the post next above  where there are strong, middle or no association (rough correlation) of tidal volume drop to FL size 

Lastly, the step back view I promised above:

I continue to use my revealing and familiar Post #10 sleep session (http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid397187). In two distinct and prolonged FR patterns it shows simple and large OA and all kinds of flow limitations. It shows flagged flow limits (FL), unflagged flow limitations (IFL) of both the real and the unreal kind whether of the visible or the invisible kind. It shows impacts of all flow limitations on inspiratory time and the related breathing duty cycle, (I-time) divided by (I-time + E-time). It shows two lengthy FR curve patterns, one with mostly rounded and the other with mostly deformed (forked) inspiratory peaks--the latter, in some SDB cases being unflagged and more detrimental than limitations shown by FL flags.

See in the left hand graphic and  annotations different relationships and in the right hand graphic  two illustrative zoomed views of no flow limitations and of flow limitations before and after the obstructive apneas, respectively, at 04:45 AM. The graphs are annotated and nearly self explanatory because the two long distinctive FR patterns, on either side of 04:45 are accompanied by distinctive long patterns at different but persistent value levels.

Very briefly, TV changes little because I worked harder to breathe after the FL began, spending more time and effort to inhale and less to exhhale after 04:45. The TV, I and E curves show that and other curves are there with correlates.

Note: I dismiss the short period between the OA and the settlement of the flow limited set of curves into a steady pattern. 

Here's hoping there are no significant blunders here or farther above. I don't know much about what  I am doing, but am trying anyway. I have noted my confusing use of Minute Vent instead of Tidal volume in spots. 'Took a while to understand "Minute" meant 60 seconds, not small as in TV. Feel free to bring on corrections and calls for clarification as well to advance the cause yourself!

[attachment=34479]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
In the preceding post and its graphics, I neglected to state what I know as the setting and see as the key takeaways  for most all OA and flow limitation sufferers. 

The following notes are made relative to the main therapy improvements made during my overall PAP and FL experience beginning on September 11, 2015. My apnea is a simple case of obstructive sleep apnea with flow limitations, both of which  are exacerbated by chin tucking and supine sleep. Those were eventually treated well with an Autoset, a cervical collar and, years later, a VAuto for my flow limitations.

The overall graphic reflects the following: 

--Left side sleep up to the 04:45 AM OA which most likely were during supine sleep. There was a transition period (dismissed in the post above) after which I settled into Right side sleep where my cardiogenic wave effects--the hooks/bumps just before the inspiration waves start upward-- became most prominent, most particularly with the Autoset. Those effects affect and confuse FL flagging and I and E times and show up in inspiratory waves to an indeterminate extent  

Autoset, with full face mask.

A larger pillow than my small ordinary one now. 

Titration advice direct from ApneaBoard members or lurking here had been applied, drastically cutting horrendous OA

Am sure I had not yet adopted a cervical collar which I think was just then coming into use. (Didn't know about bad "positional" effects from chin tucking and supine sleep.)

Later I learned to recognize positional signs after using an accelerometer to show my bursts of motion and shifts into certain positions (an example accordingly: the OA at 04:45 in the graphic of the post just above is from being in supine position and without a collar).
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
This post continues using the same OSCAR presentation. It deals with issues and questions raised in post #15's second image and continues to deal with the image reposted nearer by in the first image of post #22. 

The aim still is to be quantitative as I can in dissecting the FL flag, given my limited understanding and data handling capability. I continue analyzing how the meanings/underlying-causes of significant FL flag heights (severity?) and widths (duration?) can vary and morph and blend together and almost exclusively represent  "mere" wave shape effects, on one one hand, and TV drops on the other hand.

I indicated this further preliminary work needed to be done after my crude visual scoring of agreement between FL flagging and TV drops, the 1 to 6 rating I showed along the OSCAR time line. The attachment below shows two 2-minute periods of four I intend to post. The first of two graphs below the OSCAR display shows high agreement of FL and TV drop but also shows large deformations of inspiratory wave tips , the second graph shows poor agreement, the flagging being driven primarily by wave tip deformations. (Note the lower-right green colored oval did enclose several of the deformed tips, but I inadvertently scrolled a bit shifting it upward.)

The sleep session I continue to use here had a median TV of 480 ml per breath, but the time period after the OA is a bit higher. Accordingly, I used 500 ml/breath as the baseline from which to deduct TV to arrive at the length of the TV drops. With a few exceptions for breaths larger than 500 ml, the scheme is (and has been) as follows: TV drop = 500 ml. minus TV. Those three non-OSCAR graphed "bars" that hang down are drops. HIgher up above the OSCAR imaging, there is a graph, grey-colored I think, of the breath by breath TV.

Note also that the second non-OSCAR graphic shows that TV's were largely above the baseline 500 ml. (0.5 L) level yet there was significant FL flagging anyway, apparently all driven by tip deformities, not at all by TV drop.

Post Reply Post Reply
-------Tentative conclusions from working to understand FL flags and lesser flow limitations

A FL flag may only indicate that threatening wave shapes have been detected and that pressure will be raised or eased a bit,  stepwise or a lot and fast . On the other hand, short of an apnea, our sleep slackened tongues and upper airway may simply and sharply  limit our airflow--especially if tucking our chin, which causes flow limitations and often leads to obstructive apnea. Nothing new here for many at AB, ho-hum. But it is new to me, anyway, that a FL flag may not signal a real air flow limitation/reduction, but can be evidence  blower pressure sensors detected threatening wave shapes and/or respiratory rhythm changes.

From the  ApneaBoard Wiki and Resmed patents, we have known that Resmed's Autoset "FL" flags reflect detection of one to four things: (1)  troublesome inspiration wave-tip shapes (such as "M" tips and "Chairs" among the 7 to 47 classified tip shapes), (2)  wave-tip flatness, (3) respiratory rate change and, (4) reductions in Tidal Volume.

In a discussion at ApneaBoard of  FL meanings it seemed no one would or could tease apart the roles of the four factors. In that connection, this thread has dealt only with measuring reductions of actual Tidal Volumes: how those  volume drops are associated with and differ from flow limitations, whether or not the limitations evoke a FL flag.  Attachment 1, discussed below, presents a way of looking at the matter, but only  hints at one way to get to an improved summarization of the most meaningful aspect of inspiratory flow limitation: unnatural drops in tidal and minute volumes. (The hint: Some figure showing the proportion Tidal Volume loss is for the night--but then that gets to my "Santa"  list item below. Thinking-about At least the drops are summable, apple with apple.) 

There are thee attachments that add to and extend prior posts which deal with one striking 2015 sleep session of mine that shows sharply contrasting first and last halves. That night of sleep data showed two prolonged and very different patterns with and without flow limitation flags. Questions raised as well as images in posts  #10  and  #24 prompted continuing work to understand, post  #10. Why so little evidence of drops in Tidal Volume although there were large flow limitations and large persistent FL flags?

Attachment 1: It has examples taken from  the other two, but has additional notes. It may be helpful to understanding obscure writing, words and figures' meanings here and in my preceding posts--'am not so sure I really know many times.

I highly recommend a close look at the two largely redundant graphs inside the vincula, particularly the lower graph embodying work here and integrating  its result with the  OSCAR FR curve. But, oops, I failed to show the underlying FL pattern there as was included elsewhere. The upper (red) TV-drop graph projections upward show TV excesses over 0.5L, the lower ignores excesses (superfluous) . Both show nothing, zero, when TV = 0.5 L.  (Overall, it would scratch an inquisitive itch to have a combo of Resmed and OSCAR routinely present the two volume measures--it's  on my Santa list.)

Attachment 2: It shows conjunction of fairly high FL flagging with surprisingly little drop in TV. However, median and 95% IPAP pressures are high (as summarized high overall only because of the highly flow limited second half of the session). I/E ratio was only >1.0 for 10 seconds, peaking then at 1.3 and, then again, for 20 seconds beginning in the last 10 seconds of the 2-minute view, as the FL dwindled after increased  pressure.  I-time rapidly rose to hover at about 2.5 seconds with I/E  1.5 (high duty cycle, labored breathing apparently compensated to maintain TV). (Member cathyf's earlier FR and FL curves, as I recall, often presented much the same from her use of the Resmed Autoset. "Saw-toothing" AutoSet pressure curve phenomena? Slow rise or premature drops of pressure for continually varying flow limitation?) 

Attachment 3: It mainly shows minor flow limitation and one FL flag, those being driven by wave shape rather than airflow limitations. It looks like normal breathing to me. 

Late to consider it now, only Post no. 15 shows air pump pressure, its "saw-toothing" up and down when fighting its "perceptions" of FL continually--roughly every 6 - 10 minutes. In the 06:09-06:11 figure pressure began  rising, too slowly, to fight a long duration FL with a "0.34-severity" FL stairway. The  pressure was dropping near its local low as the FL decreased.

An additional area to address would have been actual and relative Inspiratory and Expiratory times, as is sometimes necessary. Flow limitations may cause long, hard inspiratory muscle work and fatigue and cause broken unrestful sleep.

Errors and blunders here are all mine. However, probing criticisms, corrections and suggestions would have been helpful and welcome and all those still are. My borrowed signature line is apt and appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
2sb: a suggestion you should feel free to ignore. being a bit dense (both me and your posts Wink ), I wonder if you could make all this a little easier for us to understand, at least superficially, by listing your theories/conclusions - whatever you feel are the highlights of this thread- in a series of concise bullet points. I'm not sure I'll get it even then but I'd hate to see all this effort lost because I, for one, and probably others, aren't sure what to make of it.

btw, no need to credit me for the disclaimer. anyone should feel free to use it verbatim or edited.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion sheepless. I hope the changes below help. 

My posted materials are my only relatively clean textual record, a way to boil things down for easier later reference when trying to recall where I've been and how I got there. A habit and not a valid excuse for failure to communicate with others more effectively. 

[b]Nothing is new in the upper part of this post:  It is a shortened restatement with some editing of points in my preceding post (where Attachments referred to below can be found).[/b]

Tentative conclusion and observations from working to understand FL flags and lesser flow limitations

Main Conclusion - A FL flag may only indicate that threatening wave shapes have been detected and that pressure   will  be  raised or eased  a  bit  stepwise or a lot and fast . Tidal Volume may not be reduced. (New to me, if true as samples and curve inspections indicate.) 

Facts (as I understand ) - "FL" flags reflect detection of one to four things: (1)  troublesome inspiration wave-tip shapes (such as "M" tips and "Chairs" among the 7 to 47 clasified tip shapes), (2)  wave-tip flatness, (3) respiratory rate change and, (4) reductions in Tidal Volume. (Facts re FL definition)  

Central pursuit of thread and post: - This thread has dealt only with measuring reductions of actual Tidal Volumes: how those  volume drops are associated with and differ from flow limitations, whether or not the limitations evoke a FL flag. (Fact)

Content and basis of attachments:  - There are three attachments (to my preceding post) that add to and extend prior posts which deal with one striking 2015 sleep session of mine that shows sharply contrasting first and last halves. That night of sleep data showed two prolonged and very different patterns with and without flow limitation flags. (Immediate sleep example context)

Content:  - Attachment 1: Its bottom two graphs present a  data based, different and more revealing method to present  and  see  ventilation  (TV) reductions from all flow limitations familiar to us at AB. The bottom graph integrates TV and its drops with the FR graph. The upper (red colored) TV projections that rise upward show TV > 0.5L, The lower graph ignores TV > 0.5L .  Both graphs show nothing, zero TV drop, when TV = 0.5 L, the assumed baseline level. (Interpretive matter)

Content: - Attachment 2: It shows conjunction of fairly high FL flagging with surprisingly little drop in TV. (Interpretation)

Content:  - Attachment 3: It shows minor flow limitations and FL flags, those being driven by wave shape rather than airflow limitations. (Interpretation)

New mentions of method and additional flow limitation considerations that have now come to mind and seem worth mentioning.

Impracticality and need for context: The TV-drop  method demonstrated (as coverd  above) is labor and time intensive, although conceptually simple:  not practical to perform day by day (with ordinary Excel and skills) without an appropriate data analyzing tool and an OSCAR-like presenter of the FR, FL,  TV, TV-Drop  (and, possibly I, E and Pressure) curves..

Validity of novel (?) TV method:  I have no doubt about validity of the method demonstrated for revealing actual TV and its reductions in detail. The detail product lends itself to simple summary with, for example, valid percentile scores.

Acknowledged limitations: 

1.Published research from Sao Paulo indicates all sleepers have some flow limitations.  A few have respiratory systems that power through hard work of breathing, but have puzzling unrestful (even low AHI)  sleep because of latent, continuous flow limitation . In those instances the proportion of time spent inhaling, the breath "I-time", relative to one total breath time (I-time plus E-time), is frequently higher than normal and that may be a good clue.

2. As a novice my observations and conclusions are tentative, all the more so because sample points are far too few, drawn from one sleeper's single night and have not been adequately probed nor challenged.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2021, 11:26 PM)2SleepBetta Wrote:
I'm responding not because I have useful constructive comments but because I want to see where this is going. keep in mind I'm not sure I understand enough to make relevant comments or ask relevant questions.  

consider everything in blue a question whether posed as a statement or question. 

Main Conclusion - A FL flag may only indicate that threatening wave shapes have been detected and that pressure   will  be  raised or eased  a  bit  stepwise or a lot and fast . Tidal Volume may not be reduced. (New to me, if true as samples and curve inspections indicate.) 

Facts (as I understand ) - "FL" flags reflect detection of one to four things: (1)  troublesome inspiration wave-tip shapes (such as "M" tips and "Chairs" among the 7 to 47 clasified tip shapes), (2)  wave-tip flatness, (3) respiratory rate change and, (4) reductions in Tidal Volume. (Facts re FL definition)  

it seems your hypothesis, or initial assumption, is that fl is either a function of or should at least vary with the degree of fl and that you have disproven(?) this. that tv should vary with flow limitations seems intuitively correct to me and I'm surprised restrictions in flow from any or all sources - including (1) - (3) above - aren't necessarily reflected in tv. do you have a sense of why that is? maybe something to do with how tv is calculated (like over a longer period than a flow limitation)?

Central pursuit of thread and post: - This thread has dealt only with measuring reductions of actual Tidal Volumes: how those  volume drops are associated with and differ from flow limitations, whether or not the limitations evoke a FL flag. (Fact)

and your conclusion is that volume drops may or may not be associated with flow limitations? have you a sense of what factors or circumstances influence whether volume drops are associated or not associated with flow limitations? have you determined "whether or not the limitations [do you mean flow limitations?] evoke a FL flag" and if they don't, why not?

Content:  - Attachment 1: Its bottom two graphs present a  data based, different and more revealing method to present  and  see  ventilation  (TV) reductions from all flow limitations familiar to us at AB. The bottom graph integrates TV and its drops with the FR graph. The upper (red colored) TV projections that rise upward show TV > 0.5L, The lower graph ignores TV > 0.5L .  Both graphs show nothing, zero TV drop, when TV = 0.5 L, the assumed baseline level. (Interpretive matter)

Impracticality and need for context: The TV-drop  method demonstrated (as coverd  above) is labor and time intensive, although conceptually simple:  not practical to perform day by day (with ordinary Excel and skills) without an appropriate data analyzing tool and an OSCAR-like presenter of the FR, FL,  TV, TV-Drop  (and, possibly I, E and Pressure) curves..

Validity of novel (?) TV method:  I have no doubt about validity of the method demonstrated for revealing actual TV and its reductions in detail. The detail product lends itself to simple summary with, for example, valid percentile scores.

I'm not clear where the practical utility of the novel tv method lies if tv doesn't necessarily vary with flow limitations. would this "more revealing method" replace or supplement the current scoring/ranking of flow limitations? (my gut feeling is that wouldn't because it doesn't take the other variables (1) - (3) into account?)

is this method something that could be incorporated into oscar?

sorry if I'm way out in left field; I'm struggling to wrap my head around all this. I appreciate what must amount to a substantial effort on your part and I'm not trying to pin you down or take issue with anything.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for probing this matter with good questions. I intend to be more responsive than this is and want to provide more 2-minute samples. However, if you will take a look at comments below and review the post #17 image, I believe you will find some answers. 

Your questions immediately bore fruit for me . Those  sent me back to my post #17 image where, even before opening it after reading your response, an important specific limitation (only indirectly mentioned earlier) came to mind again. It's the fictitiously fixed (assumed) 0.5 L TV base-volume TV drop being defined by  [(TVdrop) = (0.5 L) - (TV) , for each TV]. 

For a CSR-like FR curve's enclosing envelope, with wasp-waist undulations, the TV drops will be overstated. That limitation could be fixed, I think, with much more data analysis but that is a bridge too far away--requiring much more time, effort, tools, learning (if known) how  to  distinguish normal variation from the pathological.  SFAIK such undulations and CSR have nothing to do with FL and are less mysterious than FL. Those can be pinpointed easily and understood when needing attention. Upshot: the fixed baseline limitation should be kept in mind until eliminated --the latter to be done only "if the juice were seen to be worth the squeeze". For now, I think not.

More responsively:

Post  #17  attempts to "visually correlate" agreement between the FL profile and irregularities in TV-drops (red color), TV bars (grey? color) and the FR curve. (Note: The correlating irregularities in the FR curve are often more noticeable in the exhalation curve envelope than in the inspiration curve envelope.)

In #17 the "1's" had lowest agreement, the "6's" the highest. A scan of TV-drops vs FL size/extent show there are minutes (+/-) of high agreement and of low agreement. At each of those comparisons a look at the TV bars (grey color) and FR curve will most often confirm a  TV drop resulting from a FL. However, there are notable times where FL is not confirmed in other curves and bars.

In Attachment 2, the bottom graph showing the TV-drops illustrates the point just above. The maximum drop in TV is about .03-.04 vs the baseline TV of 0.5 L yet the FL is lengthy and of "severity level" 0.34. Moreover, at the moderately high FL about as many TV's exceeded the 0.5 L baseline as fell short. (Note: A scale vs resolution effect detracts, but the variations from 0.5 L base line in that TV drop graph are roughly equivalent to the volume of 3 cardiogenic I-waves. (My filter is necessarily set to ignore noise from those irrelevant waves when less than .015 L. each)

Let me say this, my wife is a very intelligent woman ( well, she did marry me, casting shade on my claim), but her mind works far differently from mine and that has taught me to be a whole lot more aware of the variations among others of very high intelligence. Trouble is my inclinations, modest education and life work have been within and among those with a STEM or finance mindset. That said, it is easily possible my added attempts to explain here are woefully insufficient. 

Please, take the time to point  out which item numbers among your questions, if not all of them, need further clarification.

Regarding OSCAR presentation of the TV-drops, I believe one of the import slots could be used to show either TV or TV-drops (just as some of us do to show motion or position).  I'd favor showing the TV drops for direct comparison with FL. That would disentangle the four components that individually or in combination account for the FL flag. Our interest is in recognizing significant drops in ventilation or TV, not in machine control of pressure changes.

Post Reply Post Reply
"Please, take the time to point  out which item numbers among your questions, if not all of them, need further clarification."

" I intend to be more responsive than this"

when you do, maybe you could include direct thumbs up or down responses to my blue comments/questions so I know whether or not my understanding of this thread is at least superficially in the ballpark. easy to affirm if I'm on track. if not, I need really brief, super-simplified, dumbed-down responses to the stuff in blue, ignoring nuances for now. your latest post makes me think I'm tracking but I'm really not sure. maybe it's just me being thick; I'll understand if you decide it's not worth your time.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar support for Lowenstein Prisma20A pls2000 1 72 03-22-2024, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR Device Support xxxxqwe 9 222 03-18-2024, 05:59 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Software support for the Astral 150? Peashee888 10 620 02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  support for AirSense 11 model 39520? roost 1 250 02-12-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  BMC G2S A20/Luna II OSCAR support HarryDuBois 9 955 01-18-2024, 03:13 AM
Last Post: A KLERK
  Created a program to support Wifi SD card for Resmed and all other devices narual 13 2,251 12-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: JerryE
  When Prisma 20a support for OSCAR? logart89 19 3,229 10-30-2023, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.