Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Calling on the wizards!
Question 
Calling on the wizards!
Hi,

I just got my first sleep apnea treatment last week, a Dreamstation Auto Bi-pap. While I thoroughly enjoyed all the cool software to check out my results, they results weren't that stunning. I'm at a 15.2 AHI, which I suppose is better than the 42.5 I was diagnosed with, but not as good as the 13.3 they were able to get me at with the titration study. Would love to get <5.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

h ttp://i.imgur.com/l6mW2Xo.png

h ttp://i.imgur.com/rA90FF9.png
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Calling on the wizards!
Well, I don't know about wizards, but we have played in this rodeo before. Smile  Let's start by looking at your charts from Feb 2.  These are the same day with a zoomed in look at some of the central events:

[Image: l6mW2Xo.png]

[Image: rA90FF9.png]

This is going to come as a surprise, but this looks great.  We just need to resolve the centrals and you should be fine. I believe your central apena is being caused by too much pressure support (PS difference between IPAP and EPAP).   I think this is as simple as reducing your minimum PS from 4.0 to 2.0, and limiting maximum PS to 5.0.  For now, I think you can leave everything else the same.  Let's start with a change in the PS settings, and see what happens.  It is possible we can reduce the EPAP min in coming days, and make some other adjustments with the inspiration timing.  You have an excellent leak control, and there isn't much sign of obstruction here, with only one episode of notable snores.  I think we're going to need to evaluate results after you change (reduce) the pressure support before moving forward.

If you have a summary of your sleep study, it would be helpful to hear those results, particularly the breakdown of events and whether centrals and hypopnea were a significant component.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks for the advice! I'll try that tonight and report back. Here are the results of my sleep study:

h ttp://imgur.com/a/qERJ3
Post Reply Post Reply
We should be able to get you dialed in. All events are obstructive and hypopnea, and apparently you only sleep on your back Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some individuals find the number of apneas reduce when sleeping on the side. A large pillow, such as reading wedge (ex Therapedic reading wedge) or a pregnancy pillow can help support you sleeping that way.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hopefulsleeper. Welcome to the Apnea Board forum. SR and beej have a pretty good handle on your issues. Starting with the pressure support and then adding additional tweaks should find you a sweet spot with minimal OA events and few Centrals. You really ought to try sleeping on your side to see how that can help.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Sweet! This was the best night so far. Looks like no snoring at all. I didn't try to sleep on my side yet because I want to limit the number of variables I modify per night.

h ttp://imgur.com/QL85WWT

h ttp://imgur.com/i3i3Lro
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not the improvement I would hope for, but I would hold pat on these settings for now. Did you have centrals noted during your sleep diagnostic or titration study? Why were you prescribed BiPAP?

What we're seeing now is mixed complex apnea, and if it doesn't become considerably more controlled, then you probably need a bilevel ASV (adaptive servo ventilator), which can treat CA and H on a breath by breath basis by providing pressure support to overcome central apnea. My thought is, this was seen in your study, and that is why you ave BiPAP rather than CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hopefulsleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy and also with getting it fine-tuned to best help you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Give it several days to see how it goes, then maybe add in the side sleeping position to see what changes. In one individual here, there were about 7 times more apneas lying on his back than lying on his side.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea Calling all dreamwear users Bluesv6 7 1,332 03-31-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: xaid
  [Equipment] Calling all electronics experts.... macca1024 0 631 03-19-2022, 02:27 AM
Last Post: macca1024
  Calling all CPAP "stomach sleepers"...pillows? 2tired2sleep 8 3,864 03-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Last Post: worn_out_in_lebanon
  Calling All Sleepyhead Gurus coolbranch 2 1,812 03-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Equipment] Calling all bearded guys mkhenry 11 5,359 11-22-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.