Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Camera Access for DreamMapper App
Surprised 
Camera Access for DreamMapper App
I was reinstalling the Philips Respironics DreamMapper app on a new mobile device, and noticed during the install that among the permissions it requires is access to your camera. Why?

On the Google Play Store page you download it from, when you click Permissions it says:

Quote:Camera
  • take pictures and videos

Already the fact that the Bluetooth connection doesn't work unless you also have an internet connection is somewhat disconcerting, since who knows what all that data mining might be used for Unsure , but your camera?

Is someone at Philips Respironics compiling a database of pics and vids of what all us CPAPpers look like in our bedtime accoutrements, e.g., "look, that one wears Star Wars skivvies and that one sleeps in her birthday suit"? Shock-2

Or worse, vids of non-CPAP bedroom activity? Licklips Bouncy           Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Camera Access for DreamMapper App
It could be something innocent as needing to access functions that are used for your camera to store screenshots. Much like in Windows we can access certain DLLs to do one small 'something' but that DLL has access to a lot more. They just roll it up into "camera" instead of saying, "This app needs access to camera.store.photo.roll.write.storage."
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
So far, it only seems to be used to capture the serial number of your machine for registration purposes, you can turn it off if the App already has the machine registered.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm offended. My Star Wars PJ's were so last year.

No I do not know why they need access to a camera. I'd likely deny access.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All this talk reminds me of the old TV show candid camera.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips DreamMapper - old machine only? p123 6 757 11-19-2023, 04:58 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Philips Care Orchestrator & Patient Access(?) StratCat48 10 5,249 10-17-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: The Rog
  If a provider has my device Serial #, are they able to access my data forever more? Robert89 4 737 09-17-2023, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  DreamMapper - Data not transferring from Dream2 gonzalo 1 711 08-01-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: MrMister
  Dreamstation 2 software (Dreammapper) EricDK 9 1,738 05-15-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  DreamStation 2 - Will we ever have Access similar to Encore? Wizard99 11 1,088 02-10-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Wizard99
  DreamStation 2 constantly requiring pairing [with DreamMapper] OldNavyGuy 10 5,916 12-23-2022, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Katman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.