Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help finding the right mask
Help finding the right mask
Im about 4 months into my sleep apnea machine. I've tried several masks and I'm not having much luck. Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. Here are the masks I've tried:

I started with the Mojo full face mask. I tried Med and Large. It was comfortable, but gave me anxiety at night and because I'm a heavy drooler, the seal kept breaking all night. Plus it pushed back my jaw, making it sore in the morning. 

Next I tried the ResMed Quattro FX. It was more comfortable, but again my drooling kept breaking the seal. I cut some cloth to fit under the mask seal to try and absorb the drool, but it didnt work at all. 

Then I tried the Nuance Pro gel pillow. It wouldn't seal and was noisy. 

Then I tried the AirFit N30i. Really like this one. Comfortable, didn't give me anxiety, the hose at the top of the head gear was awesome. Thought this was the one. But about 3 nights into using it, I started to get a chapped nose. At first it wasn't bad. Then one morning I woke up to a horribly chapped skin around my nose that was oozing and bleeding. I then turned off the humidifier thinking that was the problem but it persisted.

So next I ordered the AirFit P30i. Thought with the nasal part going into my nose, the chapped skin problem would be solved. No, and it got worse. So I bought a tube cover to try and reduce condensation. No luck there either. 

Now I've resorted to using my cpap for 2-3 nights, then not using it for 3-4 to heal my chapped nose. I don't have insurance so I'm paying out of pocket for all these masks. I use supplier#30 and while having the option to buy my supplies is great, I'm about to max out my credit card with all these masks. Please someone tell me that I have other options! Between the heavy drooling and my chapped nose, I don't know where to go from here. Thanks for any suggestions ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help finding the right mask
Lanolin 'nursing mothers' nipple cream works well to prevent chapped nose, also helps with sealing.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you like the theory of nasal pillows you might try the Brevida. Its comfortable and uses soft silicone which should be a lot easier on your nose. I have had no issues with it. It comes in 2 sizes. Extra Small-Small and Medium-Large.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I tried lanolin cream with no improvement.

Thanks, I will look into the Brevida mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people use Ayr Nasal Gel to relieve tender noses but you might find the Brevida just what the doctor ordered without any creams or gels. Others in the forum like it as well.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I primarily use the N30i and occasionally have the chapping issue. I find a good wash of the face before bed, plus a little moisturizer (I have a Mary Kay naturally stick that’s like lip balm, though I have also used cera vie) takes care of that, I just wash my cushion real good every morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oozing and bleeding doesn't sound good.
Obviously, it shouldn't be doing that. Do you have a silicon allergy? Is it possible that the mask is getting tugged/pulled in some way during the night?
Irritation and redness can/does happen, but bleeding and oozing shouldn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never thought about an silicon allergy. I suppose its possible. But then why don't other parts of my face break out??? Def something to look into though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 595 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 667 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  [Pressure] Need help finding the right pressure. kidchameleon 57 4,973 07-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: kidchameleon
  Help finding my Bipap machine taken by mistake on airline orthoal 6 604 06-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: orthoal
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Struggling finding the right settings for flow limitations snakewrestler 20 1,946 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: snakewrestler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.