Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Camping and Travel
Camping and Travel
I am fascinated by all the posts about camping and batteries. I am wondering if anyone makes any adjustment to their settings for altitude or humidity when they travel or camp. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Camping and Travel
The PAP appliances yield a relative differential to surrounding atmospheric pressure, not an absolute pressure. It is that differential that keeps the airway open. Thus, in most all cases, adjusting pressures should not be necessary.

Example: They are approved for use in flight aboard commercial airliners, which at cruise altitude yield a cabin pressure roughly equivalent to standing on top of an 8,000 foot high mountain.

So the short answer for altitude is "no".

For humidity, I do not use the humidifier when I travel. You could say that is an adjustment, but I can't honestly tell much, if any, difference.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I have traveled a lot in the past 15 years, and have never noticed people carrying CPAP devices through the airport.

I was in the hospital in November and have not traveled since. They sent me home with a APAP after that hospitalization, and I have been able to postpone travel while getting used to APAP therapy.

I will taking my first business trip since starting therapy next week. Do you pack your machine in you check luggage or haul it through security.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I were you I'd keep it as a carry on. Not easily replaced and not cheap. Also it does not count towards your carryon limit.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Treat it like prescription medicine. Keep it on you. Try to not ever, ever check it. Carry it on. I have, on a few occasions, had an airline that would treat my checked baggage to a little unscheduled side excursion. In those cases if your mahine is along for that ride, you will find yourself up Suwamee Creek without a paddle. And should they actually LOSE your luggage (it happens), then what ya gonna do?

It, in the carry case, does not count towards your carry on baggage allowance.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2016, 05:56 PM)0rangebear Wrote: I have traveled a lot in the past 15 years, and have never noticed people carrying CPAP devices through the airport.

Until I bought my new car I didn't realize how many others of that year, make, and model were on the road. Then suddenly they were everywhere.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2016, 07:01 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Until I bought my new car I didn't realize how many others of that year, make, and model were on the road. Then suddenly they were everywhere.

I had the same thought back in grade school when I first got glasses. I had never noticed how many people actually WERE wearing glasses.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbie here. I am so pleased to hear all these stories about travel and CPAP. It sends a positive message. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
My last air travel was in 2002, and it made sense to pack the machine in my main luggage at the time. Did have to explain to a checker in Munich just what showed up on the X-ray.

Now, I'd keep it with me, but barring extraordinary circumstances, I don't expect to fly. My 2005 era brick case was pretty bulky, but the ResMed S9 case gets most everything I need in one tidy package. (Just add water...)

I did a solar system for our tent trailer in 2000. Most of the bits and pieces can be bought as a kit. I dealt with Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, though at that time, I made up my own kit. If you don't need the humidifier, you can get away with a pretty basic system. Turnkey systems are available in smaller sizes through various suppliers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take mine while traveling. When I camp, it's usually just an overnight deal and I don't bother with it, it's not like I'm going to get a good night's sleep anyway.

As far as airline travel: In the US it does not count as a carry-on item. I don't put it in checked luggage because I've seen how roughly that gets treated. For TSA/security, they do want the CPAP removed from the case and put in one of the plastic bins when it goes through the X-ray.

I just bought a DreamStation Auto and it claims to auto-adjust for up to 7,500 ft. Someone above mentioned that airline cabins are normally pressurized to 8k feet and that's true. In my case, when I visit my folks they live at 8500'! My first CPAP had 3 manual settings for altitude 1/2/3, each was for a higher elevation. My current and new one both claim to auto adjust, but I don't know what happens if you use it outside those limits.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,740 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 627 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,287 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 459 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 777 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.