Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Camping and Travel
(07-07-2016 02:16 PM)KSMatthew Wrote:  As far as airline travel: In the US it does not count as a carry-on item. I don't put it in checked luggage because I've seen how roughly that gets treated. For TSA/security, they do want the CPAP removed from the case and put in one of the plastic bins when it goes through the X-ray.

Yes, it does not count towards your carry-on allowance. Different airports, though, have different security practices. At Houson's big airport they do want it out, but not in Washington's.

While waiting in the terminal they did want us to check our carry-ons because of space limitations, but I told her I had medical equipment in mine and couldn't check it. When she frowned I said "CPAP machine" and she just nodded and said "Okay".

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-07-2016 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
afwife4 Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics System One BiPAP autoSV Advanced
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10
Humidifier: CPAP 60 Series Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Being a newbie, I was concerned about going through security a few weeks ago, I did not encounter any issues at any of the airports where we went through security. I experience a power outage in one of the hotels and my machine was alarming at me. I couldn't figure out how to stop the alarm since all my alarms were silenced so I thought. In the middle of the night I was going through the manual to figure out how to turn off the alarm, lol. I'm glad I kept the manuals with my machine and didn't leave them at home. Also, I have had my first opportunity of taking it camping as well.
07-07-2016 05:34 PM
MrGadget Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage FX
Humidifier: Resmed AirSense
CPAP Pressure: 14-18
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Started CPAP in 2009, it works folks.

Sex: Male

I have traveled with an S8 several times over several years, and will ONLY carry it on with me. Never check it, and since its an approved medical device, it does not count as carry on baggage; you can get an official letter to carry, but that's not as needed anymore. It's been getting better as more people have them and the TSA folks encounter them more.

But as with in life, you still deal with the entire bell curve of humanity, and had one agent decide that wiping the drug/explosive wipes all over the machine was warranted. At least they are required to wear gloves, but they don't change them in between different peoples baggage, and handle lots of other dirty crap (shoes anyone?) and then 'finger' your machine, so there is no logical thought (basically the entire TSA apparatus as well) about cross contamination.

Some airports require it to be out of the carrying case, others let you just run the case through the x-ray machine (it won't hurt it) and don't make a big deal, but again, the idiots (and intolerant folks like me) are the ones who cause the most trouble and are the reason why rules are created in the first place. It does help if you try to positively interact with them and get them more informed about things, but then you have the 'hold my beer' and 'I'm scared of new things' folks as well. Not all of them are oblivious, but the ones who choose the willful ignorance route that perpetuates and enables the corrupt folks at the top, who then use them to maintain their power over us all. Then you get [insert current presidential candidate here].

Sorry, got on a rant there.

Love these forums for the free and open discussion, even when they were BBS's. The only constant is change.
07-19-2016 01:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Travel CPAP holden4th 5 297 11-13-2016 03:06 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  Travel CPAP that will run on 12V - 2016 update? ;-) NCZzzz 11 1,418 11-12-2016 12:07 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Looking for advice on new machine, good for travel - and adapting to life without PAP Hazel 8 493 11-08-2016 05:59 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Travel Sized CPAP Machine billkenney 11 1,472 09-28-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: bill-e
  Travel to Australia with Apap. Newbee2016 10 546 09-24-2016 12:06 PM
Last Post: SharonN
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 507 09-16-2016 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  [Equipment] Camping for 7 days - AirCurve 10 ASV - battery power? Grooves McFly 21 2,785 08-31-2016 01:29 AM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell