Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Camping battery Cpap set up
RE: Camping battery Cpap set up
I wouldn't use any type of inverter for a newer ResMed CPAP/Humidifier combo... unless you have large capacity batteries and cost is no factor for you. Like Arch says, you need a pure sine wave inverter (more expensive than the usual consumer-level modified sine wave inverters) and you're still going to lose power in the inversion process.

By the time you spend that money, you probably would have been better off purchasing a ResMed converter unit that's specifically designed for your machine. That's what I did and it works great. Less worries and less power consumption tham going the inversion route.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 10:39 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I wouldn't use any type of inverter for a newer ResMed CPAP/Humidifier combo... unless you have large capacity batteries and cost is no factor for you.

And there's really no reason to use an inverter on a Respironics machine as they run directly off 12-volt DC electricity.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 01:31 PM)Sleepster Wrote: And there's really no reason to use an inverter on a Respironics machine as they run directly off 12-volt DC electricity.

Yep, that's the one nice thing i liked about my old pre-2007 REMstar Pro with C-Flex... had a simple cable that attached directly to the 12-volt battery.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for delay is responding and many thanks for input from everybody.

PaulaO2 .
I have used this set up before. I have been able to get 7 hours out of it in the past.

SuperSleeper
I am not using a humidifier. I think that I have probably run the battery down to a low state of charge in past camping usage as you describe. Last time I used it was 5 days in a row at a campground charging the battery up during the day. I lost ground each day as the battery came back with less and less charge at the end of the daytime charge cycle. I bet it gradually dug deeper and deeper into the battery charge level and maybe did permanent damage to the battery. The Booster Pac ES2500 has its own ac wall charger and circuitry that allows you to keep the battery charging 24/7. I think these engine starter batteries do not have the right design characteristics and are probably not optimized for a 2amp 8 hour draw.

Bryank1
Yes indeed current draw without humidifier is 1.4 Amps at 12v dc per SuperSleeper ResMed battery link. So it should be possible to get 10 hours out of it. But I think SuperSleeper is right I need a new bigger battery.

ArchAngle
It is a MSW inverter but I am not running the humidifier.

So I will take your collective advice and get a ResMed DC converter and get a new battery.

So much for the Li-Ion 7.8 Ah camping battery packs I guess they will hardly run the machine for anything like long enough. These deep cycle abtteries are heavy so I am just going to have to lose weight and go out without the machine for a few nights.

Thanks everybody.

Crog
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: I think these engine starter batteries do not have the right design characteristics and are probably not optimized for a 2amp 8 hour draw.

And there is the problem. You can't use an engine starting battery, like what is in your car or truck. You need a "deep cycle" or "marine" or "wheelchair" battery.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 08:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
Quote: I think these engine starter batteries do not have the right design characteristics and are probably not optimized for a 2amp 8 hour draw.

And there is the problem. You can't use an engine starting battery, like what is in your car or truck. You need a "deep cycle" or "marine" or "wheelchair" battery.

For occasional use you can use your car battery. It just won't hold up as long as a deep-cycle battery if you keep discharging it too far.

The only difference is that a deep-cycle battery has thicker lead plates.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 06:06 PM)Crog Welly Wrote: Last time I used it was 5 days in a row at a campground charging the battery up during the day. I lost ground each day as the battery came back with less and less charge at the end of the daytime charge cycle. I bet it gradually dug deeper and deeper into the battery charge level and maybe did permanent damage to the battery. The Booster Pac ES2500 has its own ac wall charger and circuitry that allows you to keep the battery charging 24/7. I think these engine starter batteries do not have the right design characteristics and are probably not optimized for a 2amp 8 hour draw.

I think the charger that comes with the battery is optimized to not damage the battery, not to recharge quickly. Normally, you use the jumper battery once in a great while and have plenty of time to recharge it again before you need to recharge it. Also, you usually won't run it down that far before recharging.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,699 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 580 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 44 3,984 01-28-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 235 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,387 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,466 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Battery pack for Resmed Airsense 10 Jantoe 15 3,803 12-07-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.