Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Camping with CPAP - any tips?
RE: Camping with CPAP - any tips?
(06-22-2022, 09:33 PM)crazytown4 Wrote: I have 3 different solutions for camping that I use, depending on the situation. For car camping/RV camping, I use my ResMed Airsense 10 from home, with the 12v adapter brick from ResMed. I turn the humidification off and put it into airplane mode. For motorcycle camping, I use my ResMed AirMini with a Medistrom Pilot 24-Lite battery. I can typically get 2-ish full nights out of the battery, and can charge the battery during the day from the bike while I am riding with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter. For backpacking, I use my Breas Z2 Auto with a TalentCell 12v battery, which gives me about 4 nights with a little extra if needed.

Apparently there are now very good and reasonably priced USB-C PD solutions for the 12v-15v CPAP machines, that can be powered with a much more reasonably priced portable power bank with the appropriate USB-C cord.
Crazytown, how is the noise on the Z2 compared the Airsense 10? I tried the Airmini but could not sleep with its Darth Vader feedback. I found that removing the water chamber, replacing the heated hose with regular, I can get ~2 nights out of the Airsense using the Medistrom 24 and it did not take up much more of a footprint than my old Transcend mini. Like you said, can easily re-charge in my tank bag when riding the moto.
Good to see some other moto campers in here!
Post Reply Post Reply
Question: Annual three-day camping with no power: what is the way to figure standard battery required for Dreamstation 2, with no heat, humidity, or cell data on?

This is a single annual use, and I have been using an old motorcycle battery before, no recharging, and it just made it with a DS1- emphasis on old, and was thinking of doing same with new, cheap, mid-grade battery of same format.

Note: not interested in Lithium, but could see paying a bit for something that could be useful in a long winter storm, not for CPAP, but lighting!
Post Reply Post Reply
OneSnorer, Currently using a ResMed S9 without humidifier or heated tube on my sailboat and have an average nightly pressure of 15.xx. Battery consumption for 7.x hours use is between 4 and 5 amp-hours. Prior to the S9 I used a Philips System One with the same setup ... I.e. no humidifier or heated tube. It also consumed 4 - 5 amp-hours per 7 hours use, but I believe more towards 5 side. The Philips is 12 vdc unit and the ResMed a 24 vdc unit. The ResMed being 24 vdc requires a DC-DC power brick (easy to purchase). The Philips uses a direct nothing special DC power cable. My go-to battery has been a U1 sized deep cycle AGM (Lifeline battery) which has a capacity of 31 amp-hours. But for longevity a lead-acid batteries can only be used to roughly 1/2 of its capacity - 31 divided by 2 = 15.5 usable amp-hours, which allowed me 3 nights reliable use per-battery (I carry 2 on my boat).

The most reliable way I found to determine how many amp-hours were being used by the CPAP was from data reported by my solar charge controller (Morningstar Sunsaver DUO). It would tell me how many amp-hours were needed to bring the battery back to full charge. Using a multi-meter measuring current while the CPAP is in use can give you an approximate reading. But the current changes constantly between inhale and exhale and is only useful as an approximate value.

Regarding Lithium - 2 big advantages with Lithium batteries and one huge negative (cost). A Lithium battery weighs 1/4 what a lead-acid does for a similar capacity battery (important consideration on a small sailboat). And, a Lithium can repeatedly deliver 100% of its amp-hour capacity without degradation. They also last longer (time will tell). At the beginning of the summer I replaced one of my Lifeline U1 32 amp-hour batteries ($150) with a Battle Born 100 amp-hour battery ($900). I would have purchased a lower amp-hour Lithium but the current market and best pricing is for Group 24 & 27 replacement batteries. The 100 amp-hour Lithium weighs roughly the same as the 31 amp-hour lead-acid and is only slightly bigger. It is also easier to gauge the available capacity of a Lithium battery as the measured voltage is directly proportional to the remaining capacity.

Hope this information is helpful. I know it is more that you requested but may be helpful to others. For testing & learning I initially purchase a U1 battery from Harbor Freight ($70). It was a decent battery and great for experimenting and may meet your needs.

Best Regards,
Randy Graves
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a scout leader and use a Z2 HDM... much lighter weight works of batteries... using talentcells with a Step-Up converter..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 67 2,423 Yesterday, 10:18 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 330 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,407 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 362 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 728 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,855 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,404 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.