Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Camping with CPAP - any tips?
RE: Camping with CPAP - any tips?
I have 3 different solutions for camping that I use, depending on the situation. For car camping/RV camping, I use my ResMed Airsense 10 from home, with the 12v adapter brick from ResMed. I turn the humidification off and put it into airplane mode. For motorcycle camping, I use my ResMed AirMini with a Medistrom Pilot 24-Lite battery. I can typically get 2-ish full nights out of the battery, and can charge the battery during the day from the bike while I am riding with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter. For backpacking, I use my Breas Z2 Auto with a TalentCell 12v battery, which gives me about 4 nights with a little extra if needed.

Apparently there are now very good and reasonably priced USB-C PD solutions for the 12v-15v CPAP machines, that can be powered with a much more reasonably priced portable power bank with the appropriate USB-C cord.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's one maybe that's camping related.
Bugspray.
It seems like many (all ?) bugsprays are harsh on plastic sunglasses etc.
If you have a bit of bugspray left on your face or hands.. could that damage the mask ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Another one might be protecting your cpap electrical from "bad" park power ?
Some campgrounds are probably better than others, but it's typically many sites running a/c and the whole campground might be wired with just barely adequate wiring ?
Using on-board 12v instead of the 120v would reduce/eliminate electrical noise and low voltage problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I camp with my son's scout troop once every month or so. I used to use a 12v 7AH AGM battery with the automotive adapter for my dreamstation. After nearly dropping off the trail one hike up a mountain with the battery and all other gear, I decided something had to change. Now I use the normal AC adapter with a Ryobi 150 watt 18V inverter and a 18V 9AH battery. This gives me one full night's sleep and phone charge with a good bit of charge left over (2 bars). I have not tried to get 2 nights out of a single battery yet, as I hate to wake up because of the CPAP going off.  When camping, I use just the basic CPAP, no humidifier attached. Instead I use an inline hose "Humidifier Heat Moisture Exchanger" and keep some Ayr Gel and Q-tips around in case of really dry conditions. (Just a little around the inside of each nostril and you're good to go.).

These batteries are relatively light and can be used for many purposes. I run other Ryobi stuff with the batteries.

No affiliation on these links. I am just adding them so you can se what I am talking about.

(edit - I can't post links yet - You'll have to look these up yourself)
(edit #2 - I can't post images either. This was a better post with links and pictures - sorry.)

Ryobi 18V Inverter

Ryobi 18v 9AH battery 

Inline "humidity device"

Ayr Gel

Hope this helps someone,

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I mostly sleep in a minivan, and often do not use campgrounds,
and have a single fairly large deep cycle 12v lead acid 'house' battery.

This seems to me to be a good power duration vs. cost option, but it is heavy.
Also a good backup at home if there is an outage with the power grid.

(I use a Respironics Dreamstation BiBap AutoSV that has a 12v DC power supply).

Once I got the special 12V Respironics (Dreamstation) cable, about $50 Cdn,
a real rip-off thanks to Respironics,  the system worked.

I do disconnect during the day, so that there is no chance the machine starts (it has happened).

I do turn off humidifier and tube heating to increase the run time.
 (you have to know the special access to the machine's menu option, again
no help here from Respironics).

The lower humidity does not seem to
bother me (I camp down to 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F).

I monitor the battery voltage, and get about 3 nights without running lower than 50% battery discharge.

I use a somewhat intelligent standard car battery charger to charge the battery.
Most of the time I also use a medium sized inverter plugged into the car's 12v port (cigarette lighter)
to power up the car battery charger (which I set to 4 amps max so as not to
max out the car's fuses, although the car could probably handle a charger setting of 6 amps).
I turn the charging system on only while driving distances, and the battery charges.
This system works for me.  I like it because it is 'plug and play' and I do not have to change the car wiring.

I have recently acquired a home-made lithium battery (laptop batteries) 
weighing 3.5 lb and have tested it for 1 night,
but it should work for 2.  A lithium battery is definately the route to take for mobile tent camping. but
those sold by CPAP companies are relatively expensive and may have relatively low capacity.

The key point with a small lithium power bar is that it has to provide enough amps (at 12v in my case)
to start up the machine.  Mine seems to require about 5 amps when it starts (then the draw is less after 5-10 secs).
If the power bar cannot provide that initial power draw, the machine may not start! (as I have found).
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
THANKYOU!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Camping folks,

We are using Devillbis Blue because this machine can be attached to 12 Volt. The 12 Volt connection cable is installed in the RV and the hose is also installed. That means only the mask and the machine itself needs to be moved when we want to travel.
This setup worked nicely during our last trip of three months through Europe.
The machines are stored in a sort of cupboard, the doors are closed during travel, but open when in use. You have to make sure that the air vent is open when in use. 
In case you don't have a system with 12Volt, you can also install a power converter in your RV and use the standard power supply.
In case you have power at a campground it should work as well. The 12Volt option is only useful if you want to stay off grid.

I  hope that helps.
Cheers Pade
Post Reply Post Reply
Successful off-grid CPAP on a small sailboat -

7 years ago when first diagnosed with sleep apnea my greatest fear was that I’d no longer be able to do multi-day sailing adventures on my small’ish (17 ft) sailboat. The selection criteria for my first CPAP machine was simply finding a model that would run on 12 volts DC (car battery). Over the years I have tried several different solutions, learning from each, and have finally settled on solution that works well, that I trust, and that allows me to be off-grid for 7+ days.

Here is an overview of that system:

Primary Charging Source:
20 watt Ganz/Duravolt solar panel feeding a Morningstar SunSave Duo charge controller. 

Batteries:
The SunSaver Duo is connected to two U1 size (22 lbs each) 31 amp/hour AGM deep cycle batteries. I choose Lifeline batteries, which have a 5 year warranty and good customer support. I replace the older of the two batteries every 2 - 3 years. 

Battery Charging / SunSaver Duo settings:
I’ve programmed the SunSaver Duo to 90/10 battery-1/battery-2. Battery-1 receives 90% of the solar panel output, battery-2 10%, until battery-1 is fully charged and then they receive input equally. I’ve dedicated battery-1 to the CPAP machine. 

Monitoring *** This is Key ***:
The SunSaver Duo has the option for a remote monitoring display (RM-1) which I have, and is key to maintaining my system (can’t stress this enough). The remote monitor displays battery min/max values, and amp/hours of charge received. It also displays solar panel output in amps/milliamps and total accumulated amp/hours of charge provided (all data resettable).

By monitoring battery voltage and amp/hours received to fully re-charge I am able to accurately calculate amp/hour battery drain from the CPAP machine for each nights therapy.  

Notes:
A 31 amp/hour lead-acid battery only has 50% (16 amp/hours) usable drain for repeatable long-term drain/charge cycling. The newer generation of lithium batteries allow for nearly 100% repeatable charge/drain and are much lighter, but also notably more expensive.

Batteries are not able to support the CPAP + humidifier. I use my CPAP machine without the humidifier as humidity has generally not been a problem for me sleeping in the boat on the water. Even so I still use one of those mask-adaptable humidity exchangers. 

My CPAP unit of choice for off-grid is a ResMed S9. The S9 is a 24 volt DC unit but consumes notably less amp/hours than my previous Philips System One & Dreamstation (both Philips units are 12 vdc 
machines).        

My S9 is set to no-exhale relief & auto-mode. My average nightly pressure is 13 - 14. For 8 hours of therapy I typically consume 4 - 5 amp/hours of drain from the battery. I’ve dedicated battery-1 to CPAP only, and battery-2 to charging my phone, etc, and as a backup for the CPAP. If the sun is out I can run the CPAP indefinitely on battery-1 alone. With no sun I typically get 3 - 4 days therapy from each battery.

Lastly. Each U1 battery is packaged inside a canvas tool bag along with an AC smart charger. In a pinch I can grab a battery and walk to AC power and recharge in 3-4 hours. 

Hope this information is helpful! Happy to provide pictures, mor information, or answer any questions. 

Best Regards,
Randy Graves
Post Reply Post Reply
I've backpacked in the Smokies in wintertime with my Devilbiss Intellipap machine (it's been a few years). I bought that machine b/c of its size, and 12vdc operation. I packed a lithium polymer (LiPo) battery along (a 3S battery will have a voltage of 11.7v, which the machine likes fine).

I break down the machine to remove the humidifier (it's designed to come apart like this) so just the pressure part came with me. The battery won't power the humidifier, and it'd deplete the charge quickly if it could.

To deal with humidity, I sleep with the CPAP machine inside my sleeping bag. This works great to keep the air flowing to my nose humid and warm, although.....um.....you probably want to watch what you eat. Not a lot of beans, if you take my meaning.

In general, it works well, though wrangling the cord to the battery coming out of the sleeping bag is a small hassle. You probably don't want a lithium battery in the bag with you.

Currently looking for a new travel machine, and battery power is definitely on the list.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking for tips from those experienced Smile

I have just turned 60 and wanted to start something new in life.  Motorcycle Adventure riding which involves tent camping.  I've been using a CPAP for 20 years and I can't sleep without being hooked to my hose lol so I have been trying to figure out how to power my Dream Station 1.  It draws 80w and I was looking at the Jackery 300 battery generator but that would only supply just under 4 hours of juice to my CPAP. 

Any suggestions as to the best way to power this Dream Station when AC is not available?

Many thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 167 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 65 2,249 Yesterday, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,392 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 351 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 704 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,805 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,370 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.