Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Camping with CPAP - any tips?
Camping with CPAP - any tips?
We're trying to get some good information and tips for the "Camping and RV travel with CPAP" Wiki article section, here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

(that info would be used in the camping sub-section of our Wiki article on "Travel with CPAP".

We're looking for ideas & tips for both tent, car, RV & other types of camping & travel in general.  If you know of some good info or tips for campers, could you reply here in this thread with those tips or ideas?

Thanks

Quote:EDIT:  As of August 2022, many of the ideas offered in this thread have been included in the Wiki article referenced above.  Please read the rest of this thread for additional ideas and tips that were not included in the wiki article.  Feel free to reply with your own thoughts as well.   Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Camping with CPAP - any tips?
Here are some of the things I do while camping with a CPAP. 

1. I leave my everyday CPAP machine at home and use my spare CPAP machine for camping. It saves packing the the home machine and cuts setup by half. Since we aren’t full timers, the days not recorded by the home machine aren’t enough to affect compliance for insurance purposes. 
  2. I’ve drilled holes in the cabinet, next to where I sleep, where the CPAP machine stays so the power cord and hose can be run in such a way as not to interfere with the cabinet door fully closing. This cuts down on noise from the machine while allowing sufficient air for the machine to operate properly. This also allows me to run the low voltage cord beside the mattress, on top of the bed foundation and down to the CPAP’s power brick, which I keep on the floor under the bed in order keep odors from the power brick out of the machine 
  3. The CPAP machine is stored in a safe place in it’s carrying case anytime the trailer is moved to assure it isn’t damaged in transit.
  4. I use one of the folding travel hose holders to keep my hose up and out of the way.
  5. I don’t store the CPAP machine in the camper for extended periods without the HVAC running. It can get really hot in the camper when it’s not hooked to power. I store it at home and load it for each trip.
  6. Everything I use at home is duplicated for the camper.
  7. I replaced the power outlet in the cabinet next to where I sleep with a duplex 120v outlet that has two usb outlets. The usb outlets are capable of 5 amps total output. I’ve done this in several locations throughout the camper. A future project is to install a 12v outlet behind the CPAP machine and hook it directly to the house battery so I can use a travel adapter with my machine. That way I will have battery backup in the event of a power outage.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mitch!   like
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a pure sine wave, LIFEPO4 BATTERY POWER SUPPLY, mine is rated at 300 wh and powers my A10 for 4 nights at over 8 hrs per hight. I run it with water in the tank but the humidifier turned OFF. My power supply weighs 8.2 Lbs and has its own carry case. Since the A10 is 24 volts. You also need to purchase a 12v to 24v converter cord for around $ 30. My complete set up cost about $230.00.

The watt hours is what determines how long it runs. The more the longer. 300wh = about 35 hrs for my unit.

I bought everything on Amazon, they have many choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
I camped for a number of years while traveling on a dual sport motorcycle. I rigged the bike to charge a second small bike battery and that gave my old ResMed BiPap machine about 6-6.5 hours. In my current SUV I have a dual battery installation that easily  provides a full night of sleep plus runs my fridge. There are a number of very good dual battery setups that are available by searching suppliers of the Overland travel community. I use my Air Curve 10 VAUTO with humidification and the ResMed 12V power supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
When camping, I used to just plug my CPAP directly into a cigarette lighter plug to power my unit.  But when I changed to a Dream Station 2, it didn't like the higher voltage from my Li Fe batteries. (14.5 VDC)   Had to go to a 400 watt sine wave inverter and plug into that 115 VAC.  Now I don't have to worry about the DC voltage.  But the inverter does use extra power over using DC directly.  Luckily I have some extra battery capacity in my RV.
John
Post Reply Post Reply
Phillips wisdom! The home dream machine operates on 12V, the mobile one on 19V. Any cars, campers, boats or there with a 19V installation? I do not know even one. Every technician out there knows, efficiency is multiplied, 0.8x0.8 gives you 0.6, a. Loss of almost the half for using the additional converter. Hence I bought the 12V cable with the monster magnets. For Back-up I use a hama power supply, 1/4 of the Philips one and a Litionite Tanker mini 25000mAh power bank. This size as it is allowed on airplanes and brings me through 3 nights. Further, it may be plugged on all time and supplies the dream station while being charged. A blackout you will not notice, switching over is automatically. On my boat I go direct 12V
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful which batteries you get.  I went camping with a battery, and the 1st night everything was fine except for my nose freezing.  Mountain air gets *cold* at night.  I turned on the heated tube...and the battery faulted.  I had to recharge the battery to reset. I emailed the company, and after some questions, they told me that their battery could handle the CPAP, but not the CPAP AND the heated hose.  Sorry, I don't recall which brand nor the specifics.  I had a dreamstation 1 at the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
  • Test your battery set up before going on trip, including using less humidity
  • Do not use an inverter, use DC
  • Turn on Airplane mode
  • Don't worry about your OSCAR/MyAir/DreamMapper stats
  • Unplug CPAP from power source, when not in use
  • Turn off any power/outlet switches on power-stations

• If using lead-acid batteries, be aware excessive discharge can damage batteries
  • Reset the urge to use CPAP battery for non-CPAP use (recharge devices, power lamps)
  • Use pass-over humidity, turn off heated humidifier and hose. If using pass-over humidity, consider putting warm water in humidifier (not hot though)
  • It's OK to sacrifice a little AHI while camping and use a *slightly* less optimal CPAP therapy to save on battery. ie capping max pressure, using CPAP mode (plus CPAP will give you more predictable battery usage)
  • Be more aware of leaks while on battery, the higher RPM and airflow because of excessive leaks will burn threw your battery
  • Take advantage of a solar recharger, remember to adjust angle of solar capturing surface to point at sun during day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good stuff, folks.   Love these tips.   Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 170 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 65 2,270 Yesterday, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,394 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 351 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 704 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,807 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,373 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.