Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can’t treat my UARS — need suggestions
Question 
RE: Can’t treat my UARS — need suggestions
(05-31-2020, 08:50 PM)slowriter Wrote: Your FL numbers and graph suggest you have very little problem with breathing restriction on your current machine and settings.

Do you have any idea why I would be waking up all the time no matter what settings I use? I’ve always felt like my settings are wrong, but now I’m starting to think it could be due to expiratory palatal obstructions. 

https://doctorstevenpark.com/2things

https://sites.google.com/view/palatal-prolapse

http://www. a DME-owned forum .com/view...ticle.html

This forum post has screenshots of graphs showing the same “oscillating” shape on the pressure graph as well as the same repeating periods of apnea and breathing. I can definitely feel a blockage in my throat when I’m using the cpap and can often feel tissue flopping around in the back of my throat throughout the day, so I’m starting to think that might be my issue. 

After reading through that post, I think it might help to set trigger to Very High to help with shallow breaths. They use a much higher pressure support setting that I’d be worried about using because of centrals, but then how am I supposed to overcome the expiratory palatal obstructions if that is the problem?

https://doctorstevenpark.com/2things
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't really know, but it certainly can't hurt to play with the trigger setting.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
search for member username yrnkrn. I believe he concluded no pap settings will resolve palatal collapse or prolapse (not sure of correct term).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2020, 01:29 PM)sheepless Wrote: search for member username yrnkrn. I believe he concluded no pap settings will resolve palatal collapse or prolapse (not sure of correct term).

Ugh that’s unfortunate. I wouldn’t be surprised, as it’s been about 15 months I’ve been trying to use a machine and still haven’t been able to get more than a few hours of sleep. 

I’ve sent him a message. Hopefully he’s found another solution. Surgery seems to be the only solution the more I read. An adjustable bed with a steep incline has somewhat helped me feel more rested in the morning... I’ll have to try the machine tonight with the trigger set to Very High to see if it actually helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
Here is a screenshot of what appears to be 5 shallow breaths that was classified as a central apnea. I'm hoping that by setting trigger to Very High it will help fix this issue... but what causes the pressure chart to look like it's oscillating when I'm not breathing? I'm assuming it's the vibrating of what I assume to be my palate or other tissues in my airway?

Who knows lol. Definitely not me

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are referring to what looks like little ripples during your apnea, it's ResMeds "Forced Oscillation Technique" (FOT). It helps the machine determine if the apnea is obstructive or central (clear airway).

This wiki page may help: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...y#AutoCPAP
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 949 8 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 159 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 63 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 621 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.