Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can’t treat my UARS — need suggestions
Can’t treat my UARS — need suggestions
A few sleep studies later, I’ve confirmed that I have UARS.

I’ve tried an APAP and now onto a BiPAP. Roughly 10 masks... nasal and full face. Can’t get more than a few hours of sleep without ripping it off, and that’s IF I even get to sleep in the first place with the mask. I wake up 1-2 hours after sleeping consistently with the CPAP. I guess getting an oral appliance is the next best option besides surgery, right?

My only issue is, my sleep study came back with a 0.0 AHI didn’t record RERAs. 

Is there some way I can get this study re-scored to show RDI so I could be covered by insurance for the mouthpiece? Everything else has been out of pocket for me but the mouthpieces are a bit more. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just don’t know the next step I should even be taking, but, I’ve got an apt with dentist coming up. Just worried I won’t even be covered for the mouth piece because my study doesn’t show RDI.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can’t treat my UARS — need suggestions
At home study? Most at home studys dont record RERAs. Have you tried the N20 or P10 masks? I've found better success using the slimline hose instead of the heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope. 2 in lab and 1 at home.

I have a slimline I’ve never used. Interesting you say that. Why do you think it worked better than the heated one? (Which is what I use)

I have a P10 mask which is my favorite but hard to use when I have bad nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heated one is too hot for me and heavy. Depends on your climate but the slimline one works good for me. My humidity now is set to 3. I used to have chronic nasal congestion too. Is yours due to swelling or mucus. Mine was swelling. Had turbinate reduction, balloon sinuplasty and septoplasty. This has helped a lot. I think correct tongue posture can eventually open up the nasal passages too. You can look up 'mewing'm, also look up 'buteyko method'. That's mostly about just breathing out of your nose. Maybe diet changes can help congestion too. Grains, dairy, sugar and alcohol can make congestion worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Eating a gluten free diet has def helped my nasal congestion. Mine is def due to swelling and allergies. Should try cutting out dairy next. Did you change your diet as well?

Gonna try the slimline tonight. Just heard of the buteyko breathing today too I’ll look into that.

Do you still use the CPAP after surgery? I assume it makes it a lot easier to use lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
I try to eat paleo / keto / carnivore but my diet is all over the place with having 2 kids. I know sugar is my biggest enemy, instant joint pain. I started using PAP just a couple weeks ago. I had my nasal surgery almost 4 months ago. It did help but I guess my apnea had nothing to do with my nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's similar to what many others post on Apnea Board. For whatever reason the patient tries some sort of mouthpiece or nose or throat surgery. Most will say it didn't help enough to eliminate CPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2020, 01:39 PM)Etirpsakdov Wrote: A few sleep studies later, I’ve confirmed that I have UARS......this is good!

I’ve tried an APAP and now onto a BiPAP......great machine, the best one for UARS, from what I have learned in my own case and observed in this Forum, even better than ASV, in my opinion.... Roughly 10 masks... nasal and full face.....I would insist on full face, maybe airfit f20 or f30.... Can’t get more than a few hours of sleep without ripping it off, and that’s IF I even get to sleep in the first place with the mask. I wake up 1-2 hours after sleeping consistently with the CPAP........my experience: I started 1 year ago; had many claustrophobic issues, worked out with minor doses of clonazepam until get acquainted with the machine. I guess getting an oral appliance is the next best option besides surgery, right?.....in my opinion , this would be the very last option; I think you would still have lot of room to go yet.....

My only issue is, my sleep study came back with a 0.0 AHI didn’t record RERAs. ....lower  AHI is one of the clinical diagnostic point to assure UARS presence.....flagged RERA is a rare thing, in my opinion; majoritty are unflagged. The metrics for UARS would be how many times you have arousal/awakenings, no AHI or flagged RERA's......

Is there some way I can get this study re-scored to show RDI so I could be covered by insurance for the mouthpiece? Everything else has been out of pocket for me but the mouthpieces are a bit more. .....in my modest opinion, you already have the best tool to treat UARS: the aircurce VAUTO.

y suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just don’t know the next step I should even be taking, but, I’ve got an apt with dentist coming up. Just worried I won’t even be covered for the mouth piece because my study doesn’t show RDI.......
----- all I said above  is general statements; could be validate only after you post your chart here.

all the best

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are discussing masks here. Mine leaks a little bit at the top swivel connector on the minimalistic philips nasal mask. I think the same one as you have. Is that normal? When I hold my finger to it, I can hear hissing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2020, 09:36 AM)Max Maker Wrote: Since you are discussing masks here. Mine leaks a little bit at the top swivel connector on the minimalistic philips nasal mask. I think the same one as you have. Is that normal? When I hold my finger to it, I can hear hissing.

It's probably best for you to get your answers by creating your own thread on questions about your mask or other therapy needs. Your question will get lost in the stack of stuff in someone else's thread.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 914 2 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 56 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 615 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 78 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.