Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can BiPAP therapy cause dry mouth?
Can BiPAP therapy cause dry mouth?
I have read that BiPAP therapy is one reason for dry mouth in the mornings. Does anyone know why this should be so? I use a Dreamstation humidifier set at a high level and data shows mask fit at 100%. I’ve been on this machine for about three weeks. Before this I was on Philips Respironics but with the flex function disabled by the sleep tech/sales people when I first bought the machine. I know there are other factors leading to a dry mouth such as mouth breathing but I am curious as to why BiPAP treatment would also be a factor. Any thoughts guys?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can BiPAP therapy cause dry mouth?
Dry mouth arises mainly from mouth breathing in conjunction with leaks: either you're using a nasal mask and breath (occasionally) through your mouth or you're using an FFM, have mask leaks and breath through your mouth. A humidifier won't be of big help in that situation as its purpose is to moisten the airway not the mouth; the latter is called "drinking".

To avoid cottonmouth just manage to keep your mouth shut either by a chin strap or taping.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
BiPAP has nothing to do with it. Any PAP therapy will result in dry mouth and other discomfort if there are leaks. DreamMapper is a very generalized source of information. Take a look at your data in OSCAR, and you will see your 100% mask fit actually involves a lot of leaks. Oscar will show the extent, duration and time of those leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your mouth leaks don't otherwise bother you, you could try Xylimelts. They are small discs that stick to your gum or teeth and stimulate saliva production throughout the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much everyone and a belated happy new year to you all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even without mouth leaks, I get a very dry mouth. I don't know why. I had trouble with my mouth opening while I slept, and I couldn't find a full face mask that worked for me, and chin straps could keep my mouth closed. That left my mouth dry. Then I tried the technique of taping my mouth closed. It works, but my mouth is still dry in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 153 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.