Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP cause pneumonia?
Can CPAP cause pneumonia?
Still  a newbie to CPAP here... been on it for about 8 months using the equipment listed in sig along with a heated hose.

Was diagnosed a little over 3 weeks ago with walking pneumonia and I am sure there was a touch of bronchitis going on there too.  I take daily the inhaler Dulera to control asthma symptoms caused by allergies to common dust and pet dander.  The meds do have their side effect of which I can deal but every 3 maybe 4 years i come down with this crud.  This however is the first time they called it pneumonia as opposed to strictly labeling it as an upper respiratory infection. 

Can or has anyone experienced pneumonia more since starting CPAP therapy?   I have not directly asked my doctor but she did not seemed alarmed when I reminded her that I am on CPAP (she is the one who prescribed it to me a year ago.)

I am over the major pneumonia stuff, but it has progressed now to blocked nasal pasages with the worst thick goo-mucus I have ever had.  I swear I could sell this stuff as the next type of construction adhesive!  Apologies for the TMI... just saying.

2 rounds of steroids, 2 rounds of antibiotics and 3 weeks later I am at a point where the sinuses are so blocked that I cannot use my nasal pillows and do not have a mask.  I guess I should have anticipated this possibility and should have a mask on hand.

Feedback advice, comments, questions?

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP cause pneumonia...?
Speaking as a former medical microbiologist I think it extremely unlikely. The air you breath from your CPAP is the same air you breath in your home without your CPAP with the exception that it is filtered. Although the filter will not remove bacteria sized particles or viruses, it still reduces the count of bacteria and viruses since they are attached to larger particles or within droplet aerosols, some of which are removed.  There are bacteria that will grow in the water in your your humidification chamber but the types that will grow will not cause pneumonia in individuals who are no seriously immune compromised. Also, regular cleaning with mild detergent will keep the numbers low.

Also, most bacteria in our environment will not cause pneumonia.  Pathogenic strains will not spontaneously generate in CPAP equipment. They need to be introduced from the surrounding environment or the person using the equipment.

I'm sure there are a number of people who have experienced pneumonia since starting CPAP therapy but that does not mean the CPAP was the cause.

Whether or not there are some issues associated with CPAP therapy that make one more susceptible, I don't know, but I  doubt the CPAP therapy is the source of your infection.  

Was the organism causing your pneumonia identified?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2017, 01:14 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: Still  a newbie to CPAP here... been on it for about 8 months using the equipment listed in sig along with a heated hose.

Was diagnosed a little over 3 weeks ago with walking pneumonia and I am sure there was a touch of bronchitis going on there too.  I take daily the inhaler Dulera to control asthma symptoms caused by allergies to common dust and pet dander.  The meds do have their side effect of which I can deal but every 3 maybe 4 years i come down with this crud.  This however is the first time they called it pneumonia as opposed to strictly labeling it as an upper respiratory infection. 

Can or has anyone experienced pneumonia more since starting CPAP therapy?   I have not directly asked my doctor but she did not seemed alarmed when I reminded her that I am on CPAP (she is the one who prescribed it to me a year ago.)

I am over the major pneumonia stuff, but it has progressed now to blocked nasal pasages with the worst thick goo-mucus I have ever had.  I swear I could sell this stuff as the next type of construction adhesive!  Apologies for the TMI... just saying.

2 rounds of steroids, 2 rounds of antibiotics and 3 weeks later I am at a point where the sinuses are so blocked that I cannot use my nasal pillows and do not have a mask.  I guess I should have anticipated this possibility and should have a mask on hand.

Feedback advice, comments, questions?

thanks.

Pneumonia should not normally be related to using the cpap.  But you can get things if you don't clean it regularly.

Sometimes my nose passages just shut down completely on their own on the right side.  
Other times both can be affected by smoke pollen dust dander perfume chemicals cleaners yada yada.  
I have sinus clogs and glop dripping frequently when that happens. 
The humidifier makes my congestion worse. 
What worked best for me was daily gargling with warm salt water and blowing it out the nose via the sinuses.
And avoiding irritants in the air. 

I guess if the sinuses are taht clogged you will need a full face mask and breath through the mouth if you use the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Walking pneumonia is caught from other people.

If your sinus' is clogged, maybe turn the humidity down a bit and see if that helps at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not caused by CPAP. You will be better off using CPAP while you recover as it will aid oxygenation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pneumonia/upper respiratory issues...any tips? tiredsam98 6 818 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
Arrow CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia SuperSleeper 582 94,097 02-13-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank you all for your input last week... I have pneumonia kyhmm72 5 1,584 05-11-2016, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Hmm888
  Pneumonia and cpap iSteph 5 2,681 11-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: cliftonio
Question Repertory problems including Pneumonia. HELP. allen4444 6 3,849 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Last Post: allen4444

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.