Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP cause sores inside mouth?
Can CPAP cause sores inside mouth?
I'm still starting out on my journey with CPAP but have noticed that I am getting sores on my tongue and inside my mouth. The only thing I can attribute this to is CPAP. Could the pressure be causing me to bite my tongue etc in my sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP cause sores inside mouth?
swaziman, not sure about the tongue but is it possible the mask pushing against you cheeks or under the lips and causing the sores in your mouth? just a thought, I have never had them myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 03:00 AM)swaziman Wrote: I'm still starting out on my journey with CPAP but have noticed that I am getting sores on my tongue and inside my mouth. The only thing I can attribute this to is CPAP. Could the pressure be causing me to bite my tongue etc in my sleep?

If these persist get the opinion of a dental surgeon just to eliminate anything serious.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 03:00 AM)swaziman Wrote: I'm still starting out on my journey with CPAP but have noticed that I am getting sores on my tongue and inside my mouth. The only thing I can attribute this to is CPAP. Could the pressure be causing me to bite my tongue etc in my sleep?

After 15 years of CPAP, my answer is no. Eating, chewing etc causes small nicks inside the mouth & as a rule they just heal without us ever noticing.
However if your saliva is more acidic than it should be, these little nicks can & will turn into small painful ulcers. There is no over the counter treatment that works for these, but I have found if when I brush my teeth with WHITE toothpaste, I DO NOT RINSE AFTERWORDS, but let the remnants of the paste remain after spitting, they soon clear up.
On the other hand, you may have infectious Mononucleosis or Glandular Fever. Known commonly as "Kissing Disease", if this happens to be the case, see your doctor.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
With running a FFM, I can't see how you'd develop the sores from CPAP use. In my experience, like Geoff's, it's not something I've ever come across either.

If these keep on being an issue, I'd definitely say see your doc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
in the case you are chewing a nick in your cheek while chasing the aliens, you can reduce the inflammation due to acidic saliva (or old food - yeachh!) as follows.

note it does sting I little bit - soak a cotton swab (q tip) in Hydrogen peroxide. lightly dab and hold against the sore. it may initially irritate, but the many oxygen bubbles will clean the sore and greatly increase the speed of healing. A second application is rarely needed, unless you are like me and continue to chomp on the same spot (accidentally of course).

Smile
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all. I'll keep an eye on it.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what.
(Professor Sir Arthur Eddington, astrophysicist)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I am a real newbie CPAP user so I can only offer you my anecdotal evidence on this. I first used CPAP 3 weeks ago and am currently being monitored and trying various combinations. When I initially started I had a heck of a time trying to adapt to nose breathing (I was trying nasal mask at time). Whilst trying to go to sleep I had the constant urge to suck as much air via my mouth as possible. It was then suggested I try a full face mask and due to air leaks I recall tightening the side strap one night. I believe this pulled my cheek in and I subsequently gnawed away at the inside of my mouth. Whilst the full face mask has gone the resulting ulcer is still there and the resulting pain is probably the only thing that is waking me now.
I am currently using "Kenalog" to seal over the ulcer but it is still a real pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Scottyoz, that could be part of the problem. I have been getting sores on the tongue as well, primarily on the tip. I am also getting a very dry mouth following a couple of hours on the tube. I am trying a moisturizing mouth gel too. And I haven't yet worked out an optimum humidifier setting so trying without whilst the weather is warm. As you can see lots of things need to come together and I'm still tinkering. Still, early days if I'm to remain on CPAP.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what.
(Professor Sir Arthur Eddington, astrophysicist)
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started using my CPAP machine six weeks ago with a full mask. Ten days ago I noticed I was developing painful sores on my tongue and cheeks. I saw my family doctor yesterday and he stated it was likely a symptom caused by the mask being too tight, resulting in my nocturnal chewing of my tongue and cheek! He said the sores looked like cankers and described them as Apthous Ulcers, prescribing Triamcinolone 0.1% paste applied twice a day.
I was also told to stop using the CPAP machine for three days to allow healing time.

Not surprisingly, my manager of my CPAP provider, Renaissance Medical, stated she had never heard of this before!
Craig
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.