Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP help my headaches?
Can CPAP help my headaches?
Hi everybody. 

I awoke this morning (as I frequently do) with a headache.

How can I tweak my AirSense 10 to help?

Please see last night's Oscar chart below and thanks for any suggestions that you might have!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP help my headaches?
I don't see anything in your results that should contribute to headache. Your pressure varies between 8 and 12 cm and the median is 9.6. There are several episodes of arousal where we see CA events, and I suspect that flow limitation is increased at this times, but the chart does not include that graph. Be sure to check your headgear and sleeping position, watch your hydration and take a couple aspirin. I don't think the headache is related to CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I've included the Flow Limitation graph in the new attachment.

Are there any other changes that I should make in general to optimize my results?

Switch to CPAP at the top of my range ~12 or switch the lower part of my APAP range to 12 or 10?

Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been on CPAP? I used to have headaches every day when waking up until I got on my machine. For the first two weeks I still had the headaches and then they went away And never came back. I’ve been on Cpap about 3 months now…Same machine as you.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Through the night your flow rate graph shows a flat top with occasional spikes that may be arousals, but the expiration bottom of the graph is very uneven. This is often flow limitation, but we would need to look at a closeup of the flow rate in a 2-3 minute long zoom. Anyway, go ahead and turn EPR up to 3 and let's do some zooms of the flow rate to compare if this helps.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for about a month.

Unlike other posts that I have seen here, I do not think that CPAP is causing my headaches.
I rather hope that it will help to reduce or eliminate them.

The first week on CPAP it seemed to do just that!
Then I switched to the AirSense 10 and they came back (even upon waking!).

I set my AirSense to start at a level 8 pressure (like my old Respironics System One) and that seemed to help.

That is why I'm considering starting at a level 10 or 12 now.  I think that I actually enjoy the greater air flow,
but I don't want to create any new issues for myself either...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2020, 02:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Through the night your flow rate graph shows a flat top with occasional spikes that may be arousals, but the expiration bottom of the graph is very uneven.  This is often flow limitation, but we would need to look at a closeup of the flow rate in a 2-3 minute long zoom.  Anyway, go ahead and turn EPR up to 3 and let's do some zooms of the flow rate to compare if this helps.

Ok.  Thanks.  I'll up the EPR.  I'm attached two zooms.  One during some events and one close to waking.

Post Reply Post Reply
We want t tighter zoom, like from 23:40 to 23:42 or 43 so the flow wave is clearly visible. Here is an example

[Image: attachment.php?aid=26092]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
        Ok.  How about this?
Post Reply Post Reply
You're trainable!  Well done. You have moderate to severe persistent flow limitation that is under-stated by the statistics.  You do need EPR 3.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28495]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 726 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 906 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Data analysis/headaches arkayamal 5 741 03-11-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Morning headaches post- revised! lindylou 11 1,138 01-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: lindylou
Sad New CPAP user (sort of)Headaches every morning twincessmom13 8 1,220 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: twincessmom13
  [Treatment] 4 Years on CPAP, Still Tired with Morning Headaches FancyFrog 4 765 09-04-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: FancyFrog
  Low AHIs, still wake up feeling awful with headaches suresk 4 1,186 05-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Millstone50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.