Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP help my headaches?
RE: Can CPAP help my headaches?
You're trainable!  Well done. You have moderate to severe persistent flow limitation that is under-stated by the statistics.  You do need EPR 3.  This image confirms that inspiration time is longer than expiration time, and shows that inhale gets off to a good start, then stalls. This is an image of respiratory effort to take a normal breath, and it leads to arousals and the headache you talked about. If you search through your flow rate chart, you will see periodic "recovery breathing". These larger deeper breaths are to compensate for the persistent effort you are making to inhale, and it is called a respiratory effort related arousal (RERA). Even though it is not flagged, it is very disruptive to sleep, and the flow limits can result in lower SpO2 if you were to measure with a pulse oximeter.   EPR 3 may help, but I have seen plenty of members move up to bilevel (aircurve 10 Vauto) for similar problems.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28495]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2020, 11:49 AM)Flying High Wrote: I awoke this morning (as I frequently do) with a headache.

Did you have these headaches before starting CPAP. I did, for several decades. After I was on CPAP for a few months they went away. It was a miracle!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also suffered with headaches before therapy, but once dialed in after a few weeks, the headaches stopped.

You shouldn't be suffering from continued headaches. There may be some other health issue causing these headaches. Is your blood pressure under control?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2020, 04:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You're trainable!  Well done. You have moderate to severe persistent flow limitation that is under-stated by the statistics.  You do need EPR 3.  This image confirms that inspiration time is longer than expiration time, and shows that inhale gets off to a good start, then stalls. This is an image of respiratory effort to take a normal breath, and it leads to arousals and the headache you talked about.  If you search through your flow rate chart, you will see periodic "recovery breathing". These larger deeper breaths are to compensate for the persistent effort you are making to inhale, and it is called a respiratory effort related arousal (RERA).  Even though it is not flagged, it is very disruptive to sleep, and the flow limits can result in lower SpO2 if you were to measure with a pulse oximeter.   EPR 3 may help, but I have seen plenty of members move up to bilevel (aircurve 10 Vauto) for similar problems.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
What you are describing matches my experiences, I really enjoy it when I breath deeply - maybe this is why.

I have a few questions.

1.  Where can I see the 'recovery breathing' on the chart below?  On the Flow Limit graph?
2.  What should my next step be?  Add a pulse oximeter?  Upgrade to an Aircurve 10 Vauto?  If I do, how would this help with the RERA?

Thanks again.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28495]
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2020, 09:35 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I also suffered with headaches before therapy, but once dialed in after a few weeks, the headaches stopped.

You shouldn't be suffering from continued headaches.  There may be some other health issue causing these headaches.  Is your blood pressure under control?

Yes, my blood pressure is under control.  I have been experiencing migraine headaches many times a months

I am hoping the CPAP will help to control these.

(12-05-2020, 12:06 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 11:49 AM)Flying High Wrote: I awoke this morning (as I frequently do) with a headache.

Did you have these headaches before starting CPAP. I did, for several decades. After I was on CPAP for a few months they went away. It was a miracle!

Yes I had these headaches before starting CPAP.  I am hoping for that miracle!  I am trying to figure out if I can adjust something to jump start it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to see recovery breathing, try 04:58:30 on this graph. Truth is, I don't see much. Your flow limitation is mostly indicated by an excessive inspiratory time, which is longer than expiratory time.  Normally we see inhale time is less than exhale, but not for you.  The flow limitation or upper airway resistance is such that you expend a lot of effort in inhale. With pressure support, that can be resolved, which is why I want you to try higher EPR, and the next move is higher minimum pressure.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28491]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2020, 08:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you want to see recovery breathing, try 04:58:30 on this graph. Truth is, I don't see much. Your flow limitation is mostly indicated by an excessive inspiratory time, which is longer than expiratory time.  Normally we see inhale time is less than exhale, but not for you.  The flow limitation or upper airway resistance is such that you expend a lot of effort in inhale. With pressure support, that can be resolved, which is why I want you to try higher EPR, and the next move is higher minimum pressure.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28491]

Here is a zoom from last night with EPR set to 3.

I don't see an improvement.  I plan to up the min tonight to 10.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, tidal volume increased a bit and respiratory rate dropped by one breath per minute, so we are getting somewhere. We just might need more pressure support to get the job done.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
@Flying High - Prior to CPAP I was suffering from night time extreme headaches and bad muscle cramps.  Would wake me out of a sound sleep.  Pulmo gave me a couple of overnight oximetry tests and said I was very sensitive to hypoxemia (low blood O2).  My desats dropped to 86-87 but never long enough to meet the minimum for insurance to cover supplemental O2.  He got me on my APAP and the headaches went away after a couple of nights, nad the leg cramps followed.  Been following my O2 with the Contec CMS50F since then.  O2 has been better averaging 91-92 for the night.
So your machine may indeed help with your headaches.
Might also be worth asking the Doc about getting the overnight oximetry test to make sure things are ok.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2020, 11:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, tidal volume increased a bit and respiratory rate dropped by one breath per minute, so we are getting somewhere.   We just might need more pressure support to get the job done.

Last night's results (12/5).
Min was set to 10 until 5:45am when it was set to 12 for the last period.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 113 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 19 946 04-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches Zzera 7 271 03-31-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 947 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Data analysis/headaches arkayamal 5 767 03-11-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Morning headaches post- revised! lindylou 11 1,195 01-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: lindylou
Sad New CPAP user (sort of)Headaches every morning twincessmom13 8 1,301 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: twincessmom13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.