Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP help my headaches?
RE: Can CPAP help my headaches?
There is slight improvement in the flow limit, and for now I would not make further pressure increases until that sleep transition CA settles down. Those short periods with all the centrals appear to be awake and can be thrown out. Making changes in pressure in a single night is not going to give you a reliable base line of data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2020, 02:10 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: @Flying High - Prior to CPAP I was suffering from night time extreme headaches and bad muscle cramps.  Would wake me out of a sound sleep.  Pulmo gave me a couple of overnight oximetry tests and said I was very sensitive to hypoxemia (low blood O2).  My desats dropped to 86-87 but never long enough to meet the minimum for insurance to cover supplemental O2.  He got me on my APAP and the headaches went away after a couple of nights, nad the leg cramps followed.  Been following my O2 with the Contec CMS50F since then.  O2 has been better averaging 91-92 for the night.
So your machine may indeed help with your headaches.
Might also be worth asking the Doc about getting the overnight oximetry test to make sure things are ok.

Thanks.  I haven't looked into the oximetry part of this yet.  How to you recommend that I proceed? 

1. Can I get a Contec CMS50F through my insurance? 
2. Is that the best one to get? 
3. Can it sync with my nightly CPAP results from OSCAR? 
4. Could I use it to see my high and low readings without the need for an oximetry test (or is that something that I can do at home?))
Post Reply Post Reply
I can almost guarantee you you’ve got a headache from hypoxia. I wouldn’t buy anything until you did a nightly O2 test. If it’s in the 80s, that’s your problem. My Apple Watch told me all night before I got my CPAP machine that I was dipping into the 80s , as low as 86 sometimes. I had a headache on waking.. After using the CPAP for six weeks @ pressure 7-12, no ramp and EPR 3, It never went below 91, and the headaches went away.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2020, 11:27 AM)Flying High Wrote: Thanks.  I haven't looked into the oximetry part of this yet.  How to you recommend that I proceed? 

1. Can I get a Contec CMS50F through my insurance?  I can't say for sure, but probably not.  You would have to check with your ins company.

2. Is that the best one to get?  The most popular ones I see on the forum are the Contec CMS50F and the Wellue SleepU.  They both have their pros/cons.  I have both but I tend to lean more towards the Contec even though it's bigger and bulkier.  I think the Contec software is better and gives you more options, albeit its Windows only.  But that's just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.  Hopefully other oximeter users will chime in with their preferences.

3. Can it sync with my nightly CPAP results from OSCAR?  Yes.  The Contec uses a cable (included) to import your data directly into OSCAR.  The Wellue is BlueTooth and saves a file to your computer (using their software) which can then be imported into OSCAR.

4. Could I use it to see my high and low readings without the need for an oximetry test (or is that something that I can do at home?)). Yes.  They both show in OSCAR like the rest of your graph's.  They also have their own software to use to view the data.  Contec is Windows only, but Wellue is Windows & Mac.  I use both OSCAR and the respective software for each.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2020, 08:54 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: There is slight improvement in the flow limit, and for now I would not make further pressure increases until that sleep transition CA settles down. Those short periods with all the centrals appear to be awake and can be thrown out.  Making changes in pressure in a single night is not going to give you a reliable base line of data.

Hi.  Here are last night's results with Min level 12.
What are Clear Airway Apneas?  If they are clear, what would be the problem?
Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Clear airway events are apneas or cessation of breathing that lasts 10 or more seconds, and where the airway is open. In some cases these may be central apnea, but in the examples shown in your chart look to be periods of arousal where you are shifting position and holding your breath. It does not have the appearance of sleep-breathing, and can be disregarded as sleep-wake-junk (SWJ). The last image is clearly flow-limited breathing where you are experiencing significant upper airway resistance. This may be positional, however I think this pattern is fairly common in your sleep. Since you are using EPR and this shot shows pressure is at about 12.2/9.2, the only way to get additional pressure support is to upgrade to bilevel. Make sure you are not chin-tucking or using tall pillows.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28548]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 11:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Clear airway events are apneas or cessation of breathing that lasts 10 or more seconds, and where the airway is open.  In some cases these may be central apnea, but in the examples shown in your chart look to be periods of arousal where you are shifting position and holding your breath.  It does not have the appearance of sleep-breathing, and can be disregarded as sleep-wake-junk (SWJ).  The last image is clearly flow-limited breathing where you are experiencing significant upper airway resistance. This may be positional, however I think this pattern is fairly common in your sleep.  Since you are using EPR and this shot shows pressure is at about 12.2/9.2, the only way to get additional pressure support is to upgrade to bilevel.  Make sure you are not chin-tucking or using tall pillows.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28548]

Ok.  I'll bite.  What is bi-level and how would it help?  Unless I'm reading this wrong (quite likely), I don't see that setting my min pressure to 12 is helping the Flow Rate.  The expiration is still much lower then the inhalation and the leak rate is much higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
A bi-level or BPAP is 2 pressures, one exhale and one inhale separated by Pressure Support. PS is akin to the EPR you've used except it isn't limited to 3 cmH2O so it's able to be set more powerful to assist in the Flow Limits Sleeprider is referring to. In this machine upgrade, you're wanting another ResMed, but it is an AirCurve VAuto.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone.

I am back. 

After a sleep test, my doctor is ordering an ASV machine to help with my Central Airway Apneas.

Which machine is better the DreamStation BiPAP autoSV or the Aircurve 10 VAuto?

Any recommendations or preference about this?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
By far we prefer the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. The response is faster on a breath by breath basis, while the Philips is still averaging back 5 breaths. The feel is smoother with the Easybreathe algorithm which you had with your Airsense 10. It is just an easier machine to adjust to. I expect you will do very well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 734 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 917 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Data analysis/headaches arkayamal 5 743 03-11-2023, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Morning headaches post- revised! lindylou 11 1,142 01-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: lindylou
Sad New CPAP user (sort of)Headaches every morning twincessmom13 8 1,231 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: twincessmom13
  [Treatment] 4 Years on CPAP, Still Tired with Morning Headaches FancyFrog 4 769 09-04-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: FancyFrog
  Low AHIs, still wake up feeling awful with headaches suresk 4 1,186 05-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Millstone50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.