Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] REMStar M Series Questions / Data (Newbie here)
REMStar M Series Questions / Data (Newbie here)
Hello all, I am a newbie here and have a few questions, first I will give you a quick overview of what led me to these questions.

I was dx in 2007 and was given a REMstar Plus M series. My setting was an 8 cm/h20. I did not really stick with it, as I did not think I was losing much sleep (but ask my wife about my snoring and teeth grinding). Anyway, I have decided (for a number of reasons I may discuss later) to start "being compliant" again. My goal is to have a unit that can provide the detail data, so I can adjust my settings and improve my quality of life / sleep, without the cost of another sleep study.

I have spent a few days reviewing so many of your threads. This is a wonderful forum and I thank you so very much for all the information. I have learned SOOOO much.

I currently do not have insurance, so a new study is out of the question for me. With all the information you all have provided, I have found out the following:
  • We can adjust our machines, and it is NOT against "the law"!
  • Some machines provide more data than others and that the data is a tremendous asset.
  • There are ways, if careful, that you can adjust your setting safely and correctly
  • That if I stay with the M Series, I have to buy the Infineer reader that costs about $50 and download the software from this site to be able to view the information on the card. TY

That being said, my REMstar Plus M series, even if I had a card would only provide compliance data, and not the more in depth data needed to make educated adjustments vs "how I feel" adjustments.

So, I have decided to "upgrade" my machine. Since I do not have a lot of money to dedicate to this, I have been looking at used machines. I have now become somewhat familiar with the REMstar line. Thanks to those on this forum, I have learned that I probably need the REMstar Pro or Auto, to provide the more in depth data I am looking for. So here are my equipment questions and maybe an opinion question or two:

1. Is my research correct, that the REMstar M series Pro and Auto will provide in depth data that I am looking for?
  2. In researching REMstar M series I am aware of the Plus, Pro and Auto models, but have also seen a few units that just say REMstar M series. Is this another model, or as I saw on one post, an actual "pro"model. My quesiton is.. does this model have the capability to provide the detailed data?
  3. My Plus has the 1022334 humidifier. I am pretty sure I have noticed that some Pro and Auto units have used that humidifier, as well as 10405118. Are they interchangeable, or are they assigned to different model years / designs.
  4. Opinion question. I know I have limited my questions to the M series. Is there enough of a difference, from a technical and / or reliability standpoint, to consider newer models (like System One or PRO)?
  5. I am sure I should ask questions when buying a used machine. Primarily the hours of use on the blower motor. What is considered a High Usage Machine or Low Usage Machine?
  6. Lastly, I think I know the basic difference in the Pro and Auto (the Auto adjusts while sleeping and provides different pressures on inhale and exhale), is there any other major difference for me to consider? Opinions?

One of the reasons (besides cost) I have considered sticking with the M Series, is that I would like to use the humidifier I have, as an additional base. Thank you all for your time reading this and for all the previous posts that have led me to this point.Thanks

I look forward to any and all information and advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: REMStar M Series Questions / Data (Newbie here)
HI, find your exact model by looking here: http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...espironics

find good, better, and bad machine types here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

If you do get a new machine, keep your M around to use as a backup, spare, or travel model.

If you want a manual for your current unit, find "CPAP Setup Manuals" in the banner at the top of the page.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello JerryLeeK9 and welcome
I would avoid the M series at any price, Phillips Respironcis 50 series and 60 series are better options with improved algorthim and data reporting

Auto model is preferable as can be used to deliver fixed pressure or variable (two machines in one) and cost only few dollars more
You can download the software to monitor your therapy and more like having your own sleep lab at home

Check Supplier #2 for new and used machines http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

CPAP Identification Pictures
http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...espironics

Best of luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JerryLeeK9,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you have decided to start CPAP therapy again.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you in finding a machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2015, 10:21 PM)zonk Wrote: Hello JerryLeeK9 and welcome
I would avoid the M series at any price, Phillips Respironcis 50 series and 60 series are better options with improved algorthim and data reporting

Auto model is preferable as can be used to deliver fixed pressure or variable (two machines in one) and cost only few dollars more
You can download the software to monitor your therapy and more like having your own sleep lab at home

Best of luck

Thanks for you quick and candid response. I am now looking at the 50 or 60 series. Your information was quite helpful. I now know how to check blower hours and machine hours.

Qal, thank you also. That sight is a great reference for machines and what to stay away from. The suppliers page is helping me get a grip on cost.

My journey continues!
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a M-Series Auto up until December last year when I upgraded to a Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Auto with heated humidifier. I bought the machine used off a forum with less than 200 hours for $200. I then added the heated hose which was great. With that machine, I cut my AHI in half compared to the Auto M series. Then in January, I found a deal on Craigslist and offered $350 for a PRS1 60 Series BiPAP. Even better.

So I now have two current machines, and like you didn't use insurance, and didn't break the bank. If you have time to search and go buy a machine, Craigslist or Search Tempest (a Craigslist search engine) can be very good. A couple pitfalls are, most people over-price used machines, and most are out-dated older units. Also avoid machines from people with smokers in the household because it doesn't take long for a machine to acquire that odor. There are some great deals out there. Figure out a budget and keep us posted. I'll be glad to send any deals I become aware of through your PM.

Just one more thought. Get your prescription in hand if you can. It can be used to obtain masks and other supplies through the online discount DMEs. Your regular doctor can write the Rx if you don't have a copy from 2007, but I still use my 2008 script at Supplier #1 with no problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2015, 07:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I used a M-Series Auto up until December last year when I upgraded to a Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Auto with heated humidifier. I bought the machine used off a forum with less than 200 hours for $200. I then added the heated hose which was great. With that machine, I cut my AHI in half compared to the Auto M series. Then in January, I found a deal on Craigslist and offered $350 for a PRS1 60 Series BiPAP. Even better.

So I now have two current machines, and like you didn't use insurance, and didn't break the bank. If you have time to search and go buy a machine, Craigslist or Search Tempest (a Craigslist search engine) can be very good. A couple pitfalls are, most people over-price used machines, and most are out-dated older units. Also avoid machines from people with smokers in the household because it doesn't take long for a machine to acquire that odor. There are some great deals out there. Figure out a budget and keep us posted. I'll be glad to send any deals I become aware of through your PM.

Just one more thought. Get your prescription in hand if you can. It can be used to obtain masks and other supplies through the online discount DMEs. Your regular doctor can write the Rx if you don't have a copy from 2007, but I still use my 2008 script at Supplier #1 with no problem.

Sleeprider, thank you so very much for your input. I just found a PRS1 550 (Auto) for $150 with around 500 hrs on it. I thought that might be a good starting point. Ty for the information on the Script, I will have to see if I can locate mine (wife usually dn throw anything away).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 204 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.