Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP knows whether you're awake or asleep?
Can CPAP knows whether you're awake or asleep?
From AirSense 10 clinical manual: When Ramp Time is set to Auto,
the device will detect sleep onset and then gradually increase from the start pressure to the minimum treatment pressure at a rate of 1 cm H2O per minute. However, if sleep onset is not detected, the device will reach the target pressure within 30 minutes.

If the clever machine can do that, then why cannot be programmed, not scoring an apnea while awake
It would make life much easier

Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP knows whether you're awake or asleep?
It's only an educated guess based on flow pattern......it's an algorithm just like everything else.

I have played with auto ramp out of curiosity, seems to work about 90% of the time, but the rest of the time it is ramping up while I am still awake.

This subject also brings up RERA detection by either the Airsense or the Resperonics. These machines can not tell definitively whether you had an aurousal or not, they are just guessing again based on flow pattern. The only way with the current technology to definitively know if you really had a RERA is with EEG as in a Sleep Study that would determine for sure you had an arousal. So again the current machines that score RERAs are only doing based on a flow pattern and it's debatable if the resulting RERA score is accurate or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you've been good all year I hear it will bring something around the end of December. Haven't found that in the manual yet though so it may just be a rumor.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
It knows when you are sleeping ....
It knows when you're awake ....
It knows when you've been bad or good .....
So be good for goodness sake!
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't know. We have all pretended to be asleep successfully, either as a child or because we are having a spat with the spouse. Even a sentient human 3 ft away can't really know unless they have a PSG helmet on you. So how could a machine that as its only singular feedback measures respiratory back pressure over time, and tries to see a pattern, really know? It is easy to have the same respiratory pattern when awake as when asleep, and most of us do, most of the time. So no, it does not know, and if it is making an educated guess, I would have to also make an educated guess that this education is at a kindergarten level. About as reliable as WMD intelligence in 2003 was.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2015, 12:16 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: It is easy to have the same respiratory pattern when awake as when asleep, and most of us do, most of the time. So no, it does not know, and if it is making an educated guess, I would have to also make an educated guess that this education is at a kindergarten level.

When I look at my Flow waveforms, it is rare that I cannot tell when I started and finished falling asleep. Yes, just from the Flow pattern. The Flow starts sloping gradually smaller and then levels off.

So I think the machine might be able to detect sleep onset fairly accurately. And if not, within 30 minutes the machine will have finished ramping up and will have reached therapeutic pressure levels.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure read somewhere about PR System One Auto, if detect an apnea during Ramp, will score it

While the AutoSet do not detect or score an apnea during Ramp

On the other hand our Kiwis friends have something, they call "SensAwake" which is different but still the Icon can detect wakefulness
https://www.fphcare.com.au/sleep-apnea/c...sensawake/

On another note, Here where ResMed come up with the name "AirSense" ... SensAwake
Plagiarism

Post Reply Post Reply
Not only does PRS 1 sense and score apneas during the ramp, but also adjusts to them, in mid ramp. It continues the ramping. very interesting.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 165 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 139 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.