Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP machine cause sinus or inner ear infection? During daily regular use.
Can CPAP machine cause sinus or inner ear infection? During daily regular use.
Does anyone happen to know if it is common to get a sinus infection and/or inner ear infection during contstant use of a CPAP machine?

BTW It has recetly been cleaned.

I have been on CPAP since 2007 ad never had anything like this, or maybe it was caused by something else.

ANy cmment would be greatry appreciated.

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP machine cause sinus or inner ear infection? During daily regular use.
It is unlikely that you would get an infection from your CPAP. The air you breath is the same as that you breath without it. Bactria and molds can grow in your reservoir, hose and mask if they are not reasonably clean but those that will are not likely to be pathogens. Viruses will not grow in ghe equipment as they require living cells. I will add that organisms that are not usually pathogens may cause infection but they would need to be inhaled in higher numbers than would be present unless your equipment is really dirty.

I am a microbiologist and am comfortable with cleaning my hose, reservoir, and mask every few weeks if that. I clean the cushion daily but that is to remove facial oils that interfere with sealing. I do clean the mask more frequently if I see dried saliva.

The CPAP pressure may contribute to eustacian tube blockage which could result in middle ear infection from flora already present in your respiratory tract. The same may be true for sinuses,
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP machine cause sinus or inner ear infection? During daily regular use.
What Melman said.

If you just cleaned it, could be a kind of allergic reaction to whatever you used to clean it with. But that's a slim, slim, slim chance.

My guess is coincidence.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
That is more likely an allergy thing as we sometimes develop new allergies along the way. The sinus thing might be humidity related, did you recently start or discontinue using a humidifier?

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked my ENT about this. Generally, no Cpap does not cause these problems, but it can exacerbate existing problems. I would check with an ENT to try to work out solutions. There are some malformations, as mentioned, that could be a problem with cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,831 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,681 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 574 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 243 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 169 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 204 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 419 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.