Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro FX and Mirage
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14 fixed pressure
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Can CPAP malfunction?
I had a weird experience the other night, I am due to go to the sleep place tomorrow so they can check my data - but I woke up with it blasting air out...I have looked over before and it's been on 18...this felt like it was HEAPS more!! I pressed the button to turn the light on to see what level it was on and there was some warning screen, I didn't wait long enough to read it I panicked and turned my machine off, felt like my lungs deflated so fast very weird! I went on to just put it back on and haven't had any issues since but it did freak me out a bit, wondered if it had gone higher than the 20 it is set on and it bugs me that I didn't read what it actually said...
05-17-2012 01:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: Can CPAP malfunction?
Hi

Yes, without knowing what the warning or error message was, it's hard to say. But apparently something might be wrong with the machine. A ResMed S9 AutoSet has an upper pressure limit of 20 cmH2O, so it's not supposed to go above that limit.

If you have an SD card reader with your computer, you can read all the data yourself using ResScan. It's a free program - you can get info on how to obtain it free by logging into your forum account and going here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...nload-Link

I'd say definitely monitor this and write down the error message if it happens again. You may have a defective machine... if so, if you're using insurance or Medicare, you should contact your DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) and ask that it be replaced with a properly functioning machine.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-17-2012 08:51 AM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

The S9 could be defective and suggest have the pressure tested. May be its leak that ramping the pressure to the maximum bc prolong high leak goes hand in hand with pressure increases and for that reason its counter productive to set the maximum pressure at 20 if it don,t hit the maximum in normal circumstances.
05-17-2012 04:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ulrika Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: resmed Elite
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro FX and Mirage
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14 fixed pressure

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

well I am just hiring my machine at the moment, went back to have the SD card read today and it didn't show up with any issues and didn't go that high, she seemed to think my mask lifted when it ramped up which made it feel worse. anyway I haven't had problems since and my results are awesome - I had a night with AHI of 0! and very few apnea's for 2 weeks!
05-18-2012 02:45 AM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(05-18-2012 02:45 AM)Ulrika Wrote:  anyway I haven't had problems since and my results are awesome - I had a night with AHI of 0! and very few apnea's for 2 weeks!
Its good results indeed but really how you feel is far more important bc for me feeling good when sleep at least 6 hours otherwise wouldn't feel any good whatever AHI say and your situation can be different completely
05-18-2012 05:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  CPAP Malfunction? trevo745 13 570 08-05-2016 11:43 PM
Last Post: player
  Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO malfunction Sleeprider 3 521 05-01-2016 04:16 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Airsense 10 for Her Humidifier Malfunction-Help! bluemom51 18 2,149 10-22-2015 10:10 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  airsense 10 autoset malfunction? sonicboom 49 9,723 10-08-2015 12:08 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Gross Recording malfunction on Aircurve 10 ASV, DME fight. JVinNE 8 1,463 06-06-2015 07:21 AM
Last Post: storywizard
  [Equipment] equipment malfunction? Louise 2 1,666 08-18-2013 09:11 PM
Last Post: zonk