Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP malfunction?
Can CPAP malfunction?
I had a weird experience the other night, I am due to go to the sleep place tomorrow so they can check my data - but I woke up with it blasting air out...I have looked over before and it's been on 18...this felt like it was HEAPS more!! I pressed the button to turn the light on to see what level it was on and there was some warning screen, I didn't wait long enough to read it I panicked and turned my machine off, felt like my lungs deflated so fast very weird! I went on to just put it back on and haven't had any issues since but it did freak me out a bit, wondered if it had gone higher than the 20 it is set on and it bugs me that I didn't read what it actually said...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP malfunction?
Hi

Yes, without knowing what the warning or error message was, it's hard to say. But apparently something might be wrong with the machine. A ResMed S9 AutoSet has an upper pressure limit of 20 cmH2O, so it's not supposed to go above that limit.

If you have an SD card reader with your computer, you can read all the data yourself using ResScan. It's a free program - you can get info on how to obtain it free by logging into your forum account and going here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...nload-Link

I'd say definitely monitor this and write down the error message if it happens again. You may have a defective machine... if so, if you're using insurance or Medicare, you should contact your DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) and ask that it be replaced with a properly functioning machine.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 could be defective and suggest have the pressure tested. May be its leak that ramping the pressure to the maximum bc prolong high leak goes hand in hand with pressure increases and for that reason its counter productive to set the maximum pressure at 20 if it don,t hit the maximum in normal circumstances.
Post Reply Post Reply
well I am just hiring my machine at the moment, went back to have the SD card read today and it didn't show up with any issues and didn't go that high, she seemed to think my mask lifted when it ramped up which made it feel worse. anyway I haven't had problems since and my results are awesome - I had a night with AHI of 0! and very few apnea's for 2 weeks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2012, 02:45 AM)Ulrika Wrote: anyway I haven't had problems since and my results are awesome - I had a night with AHI of 0! and very few apnea's for 2 weeks!
Its good results indeed but really how you feel is far more important bc for me feeling good when sleep at least 6 hours otherwise wouldn't feel any good whatever AHI say and your situation can be different completely

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  jagged inhale--machine malfunction? mayalass 7 504 10-13-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Air Sense humidifier heater malfunction johanlon 26 13,594 04-28-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  [Equipment] Sandman Duo Malfunction kjheber 1 622 10-18-2020, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Did my machine malfunction? Grandpapa-G 28 2,966 06-13-2020, 01:46 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  SD card malfunction with ResMed S9 ranjean 7 3,679 06-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] Machine malfunction jggdesigner 7 1,568 04-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Last Post: dmeRT
  Resmed malfunction Visitor 10 2,423 09-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Last Post: CB91710

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.