Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can EPR use cause Central Apnea Events?
RE: Can EPR use cause Central Apnea Events?
(03-29-2018, 03:42 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I wouldn't make a hard and fast rule about changing settings for CA. If you start waking up and feeling like someone beat you over the head with a baseball bat you might want to make a change.  I don't think I'd wait 8 weeks to feel better.

At diagnosis the contribution that CA's were making to the AHI of 37 was about 1. It has increased to 1.5 (on one test) with CPAP treatment. I don't think that is real bad, especially compared to the AHI of 37 I was diagnosed with. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 18 years ago, and probably had it a number of years before that. One of the long term potential effects of diabetes is deterioration of the autonomic nervous system. I hope I am not into that, but I may. It is what it is. 

My thinking is that if I maintain the maximum respiratory efficiency benefit from CPAP it will set a new lower level of CO2 that my body will hopefully adapt to. If I artificially boost CO2 by limiting pressure and EPR I will not be helping my body adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your body will get use to the pressure weather it's 10cm or 15cm. All I'm saying is don't make yourself suffer if your feeling bad. If you adjust your EPR so you don't get CA's your body will still be adjusting to pressure. Also some people do fine at 2 EPR but never can adjust to 3. If your not suffering than my advice doesn't matter.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 06:11 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Your body will get use to the pressure weather it's 10cm or 15cm. All I'm saying is don't make yourself suffer if your feeling bad. If you adjust your EPR so you don't get CA's your body will still be adjusting to pressure. Also some people do fine at 2 EPR but never can adjust to 3. If your not suffering than my advice doesn't matter.

That is not quite what I am saying. It is not about pressure, it is about how one's body reacts to CO2 levels in the bloodstream. This level essentially controls your breathing during sleep. When one has untreated sleep apnea the events cause your blood CO2 levels to be elevated compared to someone without apnea. Your body adjusts to the abnormally elevated CO2 to give you reasonably normal breathing. When it sees the real normal levels of CO2 (which will be lower) it thinks you are getting too much air and it slows respiration down which in turn may cause a CA. What the body needs is some time seeing the real normal CO2 levels and adapting to them. I think the only way to do that is to keep CO2 levels normal and force the body to adapt over time (8 weeks). Just my thoughts...
Post Reply Post Reply
Your body doesn't adjust to higher levels of CO2. When you have sleep apnea you wake up gasping for breath and your heart rate increases trying to get rid of the CO2. That doesn't sound like adjusting to CO2 to me. But it's your body. Knock yourself out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 300 Yesterday, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  [Symptoms] Worried about sudden spike in CA events rohit261990 8 201 Yesterday, 12:44 AM
Last Post: rohit261990
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 103 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,420 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,698 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,608 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 222 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.