Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Can I Adjust My BiPAP Pressure?
I was prescribed a CPAP many years ago and later a BiPAP when they came out. When I lost my job and house last year my possessions got scattered about and I have no idea where my equipment is. My brother has very bad sleep apnea like myself and has been sent several machines and masks so he gave me a BiPAP. I don't think the pressure is as high as my machines used to be and now I've gained a lot of weight and likely need even more pressure.

Is there a way I can change the pressure short of getting a machine which can read the card in the machine and write data out to it? I just started a new job as a contractor and do not have insurance. My sleep is so awful that I'm having great difficulty concentrating to the point I may be putting my job in jeopardy. I really need to get some decent sleep.

I'm glad I found this forum and hope I can get some help.
03-04-2015 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Can I Adjust My BiPAP Pressure?
you're sort of looking for a black cat in the dark... which is even more difficult when there is no cat.
Yeah, you can probably perform a pressure set -- but what are you going to set it to; and how are you going to evaluate the efficacy?
Rhetorical -- you cannot.

If one is doing DIY, then a modern auto titrating machine is called for; and data capability to determine efficacy.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-04-2015 11:29 AM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

at least go to the effort of exactly describing the machine(s) you have by nameplate, model number, serial, or use the pictures in the CPAP Pictures Page to identify your machine. your machine may actually be one that has data you just don't know how easy it is to get it.

good luck.

QAL

@just - I laughed so hard when I read your "cat" story. so true!

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
03-04-2015 01:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi dunnd40,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Wow, you have been through a lot, I'm sorry to hear that you lost your house.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with getting started again with CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
03-04-2015 05:55 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(03-04-2015 10:58 AM)dunnd40 Wrote:  I was prescribed a CPAP many years ago and later a BiPAP when they came out.

Is there any way you contact those care providers and get a copy of your prescription or test results? Either of those documents would reveal your prescription pressure.

Can you tell us more details about the machine you have? If it's an auto machine it'll be easier for us to help you.

Do you know why they switched you from a CPAP to a BiPAP?

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-04-2015 07:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] respironics bipap error code hanasdaddy 6 131 12-07-2016 01:48 AM
Last Post: hanasdaddy
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,337 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 670 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus
Question BiPAP vs EPR/Flex etc? SleepyBee 7 276 11-13-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,283 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  [Equipment] Annoying on/off beep on Respironics BIPAP S/T C series rcattell 8 353 11-06-2016 12:07 PM
Last Post: rcattell
  Blood sugar issues after treating apnea with BIPAP Gugliano 7 427 10-21-2016 01:59 PM
Last Post: southerndoc