Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I approximate titration of bipap on cpap?
Can I approximate titration of bipap on cpap?
Next Monday I get a Resmed 10 Vauto Bipap to replace my Resmed 9 autoset.  My new titration is 16/12. Can I get close to that on my cpap to prepare myself? I tried setting 16 as my minimum, and EPR at 3. Seemed a lot of pressure that way. Am I doing it wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I approximate titration of bipap on cpap?
The numbers may be close, but my opinion is CPAP versus BPAP is going to feel a bit different. I could be wrong, but I think it'll be hard to simulate therapy feel for VAuto BPAP on an AutoSet CPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With an autoset, you start at a lower number and pressure will rise until it stops the apnea, right? It will continue to the maximum setting if apnea is not stopped,  right? So starting at 16 seems like I'm almost bypassing the auto feature,  except for anything going ABOVE 16. Seems to be a really big jump from 14 on my cpap to 16 on my soon to arrive bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Min at 12 max at 16 EPR at 3
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
16/12 on a BiLevel is
Mode S
EPAP = 12
IPAP = 16
PS = 4

On APAP
Mode: Auto
Min=Max=15
EPR = 3, Fulltime (you were running zero)

Or
Min=Max=16
EPR = 3, fulltime

Note that these settings on your APAP will likely significantly increase your centrals.

What is missing is the backup rate to initiate a breath when a CA occurs.

PS of 4 is really low to do that.
An ASV uses a variable PS with a wider range coupled with a backup rate gleaned from your recent breathing rate to maintain a constant volume. This works very well.

I expect that these settings on an ST will fail.

Also get a recording pulse oximeter that is compatible with OSCAR. Let's monitor your overnight O2 sats on a regular basis. Take it to your appointments and have them note it's reading in your record. (patient oximeter read xx.y% vs. xx.z% on calibrated meter.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both. My data will not transfer over to SD card, so I'm shooting from the hip for a week. We will see. Thanks, again!
Post Reply Post Reply
You are getting a Vauto, but your prescription is likely to be set to fixed pressure of 16/12. The Vauto is much more versatile than that and can adjust pressure in an effective range to give you the therapy that is most comfortable and effective. For example, my pressure often matches what you are prescribed, but I use EPAP min 9.0, IPAP max 18.0 and PS 4. That means the pressure adjusts between 13/9 and 18/14 as needed. I also use a high trigger sensitivity.

My best advise is just use the machine as dispensed, record the data and post some Oscar charts. We can probably give you a a Vauto mode range that works more comfortably and effectively than fixed pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 166 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [CPAP] Just bought a second hand bilevel, hoping for some help with titration? JohnnyLarueBathrobe 8 281 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,185 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.