Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I ask a Stupid Question?
RE: Can I ask a Stupid Question?
(04-13-2012, 09:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: For it to retain the memory, it is one of two things:

A battery (which will eventually fail)
An itty bitty hard drive called a Flash Drive which retains memory even if unpowered (like a USB memory stick)

Did you ever plug your old machine in to see if it retained the date and/or time?

Do you feel intrigued enough to take it apart and see it's innards? (if you do take it apart, take photos and share!)

respironics don't have a visible clock or any way to set a clock that i know of. the clock would be useless in the old machines because they don't display anything about time.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: For it to retain the memory, it is one of two things:

A battery (which will eventually fail)
An itty bitty hard drive called a Flash Drive which retains memory even if unpowered (like a USB memory stick)

I don't believe any kind of static memory - rom, flash, etc. - would be useful in retoring date or time data by itself. It would of necessity be some form of active programming which can recognize the changing time (and therefore changing date) since the machine was stopped and main power discontinued. And that would require power. If you stopped a machine with a flash or other static memory, and later started it, it would not be able to recognize the difference in time between when it was last stopped and subsequently started. As I said, unless there is a battery, or other form of power, I think the most likely source of time/date recognition described in the intial post would be some form of magic! :grin:
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
My PRS1 machine runs about four minutes fast. To compensate, I have bedside clock set four minutes fast. That way, if I wake up and think I've had an apnea I can jot down the time and later check using SleepyHead to see if I really did have one.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are no stupid questions in the quest for understanding/knowledge.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I get the time Monday morning I will call Respironics 1-800 number and ask tech support.. It will give them a nice change from the normal questions and complaints they normally get through the week
Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I found out a plausable answer to my question.. I talked to my DME tech this afternoon, He says there is a little chip in there that senses the date and time when you plug it in. (it is just like those alarm clocks you can buy that do the same thing, plug them in and they will automatically set the date and time for you).. I do not know if he is feeding me a line, but is a very plausable answer to me, I tried to call respironics 1-800 # but they were actually no help.
Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
Post Reply Post Reply
An internal atomic clock?

Funny. What if your bedroom is further inside the house and it can't get a signal??

Or, if your house is like mine, located in a dip so only the atomic clocks on the south side of the house get a signal?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 01:49 PM)pk6301 Wrote: Well I found out a plausable answer to my question.. I talked to my DME tech this afternoon, He says there is a little chip in there that senses the date and time when you plug it in. (it is just like those alarm clocks you can buy that do the same thing, plug them in and they will automatically set the date and time for you).. I do not know if he is feeding me a line, but is a very plausable answer to me, I tried to call respironics 1-800 # but they were actually no help.

If that DME is talking about something similar to an "Atomic clock" (radio signal clock), where it receives radio time sync info from an actual atomic clock like the one in the U.S. that broadcasts from Fort Collins, Colorado, I'd say that is complete nonsense.

Just too much that can interfere with the radio signal. Heck, in the U.S., most consumer-level atomic clocks have to be mounted quite high on a wall and near an outside wall and with no major obstacles between them and where the radio signal is coming from. If that's the way they do it, it's not going to work for about 70% of households.

If any of these CPAP machines had atomic-clock-like time sync ability, you can bet the farm that they would market that feature at every opportunity, and I've never heard so much as a peep about this type of thing.

Methinks your DME is misinformed. Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a watch that sets itself using the radio signal from the NIST is Boulder, Colorado. They used to be a phenomenon, but are now run of the mill.

The thing is, it works. Meaning it keeps the correct time. The PRS1 doesn't. It runs approximately four minutes fast and has for the entire four months that I've owned it.

It must be that it has a small button cell battery on its circuit board.

I've heard that technicians can set the time and update the firmware with a special cable that connects a laptop to a socket in the botom of the machine. I see no such socket, though! There's a small removeable panel surrounding the slot where the SD card is inserted, but I see no socket behind that panel, either!
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I think the atomic watches work better than the atomic wall-clocks or alarm clocks designed for inside the home. With a wristwatch, since you're generally outside at least once a day or so with it on, it can get the radio signal from Colorado rather easily (no walls or other obstructions shielding the signal from your watch). A watch can keep incredibly accurate time due to being synced up so often.

But, in order to get that same regularity of time syncing on my CPAP machine, I'd have to take it outside my home and plug it in... in my older home, the rather weak NIST radio signals just don't penetrate the old thick paster and wood walls easily.

Newer home construction techniques probably have less interference with the radio signals than older homes that were built to last.

And that's assuming that a CPAP would have atomic-clock capabilities, which I don't believe they do.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this normal or my APAP is simply stupid? fejsbukpejdz 45 4,310 06-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  I did something really stupid and I think I broke my machine cbcbcbcb 22 3,618 03-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,445 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? HalfAsleep 24 3,688 10-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross A problem I think is stupid. snuffles 28 10,414 10-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Last Post: snuffles
  Stupid Mask question for a "sidesleeper" with full face needed Mac_Sheepcounter 20 6,769 09-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Last Post: vsheline
  A small rant: Does anybody have any idea why even "smart APAP machines" are stupid? Terry 7 3,745 08-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Last Post: JimZZZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.