Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I ask a Stupid Question?
RE: Can I ask a Stupid Question?
I 'll bet that SleepyHead Mark knows exactly how time is tracked on the XPAPs. I'll bet it is simpler than anyone here would think.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
MY PS1 has been 16min faster then the correct time since the day I got it. (1 1/2yr ago) I figured the DME RT had a fast watch (so she could go home early) and set it that way. I just drag the 16min if I need to get to the right event.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 06:49 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Yep, I think the atomic watches work better than the atomic wall-clocks or alarm clocks designed for inside the home. With a wristwatch, since you're generally outside at least once a day or so with it on, it can get the radio signal from Colorado rather easily (no walls or other obstructions shielding the signal from your watch). A watch can keep incredibly accurate time due to being synced up so often.

Nowadays clocks and watches can be made to keep time very precisely. And it's not expensive.

My watch gets its signal during the night. There's a spot on my dresser near a window that works well. The thing is, if you want to force a synch during the day, you have to pretty much keep the watch stationary for the several minutes it takes to complete the process.

With a clock, we put it where we want it to be, not necessarily where it'll get the best signal. The watch even tells you how strong the signal is, and when it performed the last successful synch.

Usually it's in commercial buildings where you have problems getting a signal because of the steel beams and steel reinforcement rod in the walls. A house with aluminum siding would be murder!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 06:59 PM)Cutter Wrote: I 'll bet that SleepyHead Mark knows exactly how time is tracked on the XPAPs. I'll bet it is simpler than anyone here would think.

I'll bet that it uses a button cell battery, and its set to GMT at the factory when it's built.

And, oh yeah, I bet Jedi Mark knows, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, I said it was plausibleI think he is nuts too, but I called Respironics and they were no help, Somehow someway it keeps track of day and time, I will keep trying to find out and keep you informed if I find an answer
Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a picture that SuperSleeper posted of an earlier RemStar in another thread. You can clearly see the button battery at the top left of the circuit board. My vote is an internal clock set at the factory.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=26]
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently acquired a ResMed S-9 Auto for my Wife. I was setting it up and I noticed that the clock had the wrong time. I set it at the correct time. It was set to California time where I picked it up. The S-9 has a clock that it displays.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 05:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I've heard that technicians can set the time and update the firmware with a special cable that connects a laptop to a socket in the botom of the machine. I see no such socket, though! There's a small removeable panel surrounding the slot where the SD card is inserted, but I see no socket behind that panel, either!

I think I discovered something ... found this in the User Manual:

Before operating the device, ensure that the SD card cover is replaced whenever any of the accessories such as the Link Module or Modem are not installed.

My guess is that this "Link Module" plugs in somehow behind that SD card cover, and that is how a tech sets the time on the machine.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 02:02 PM)Rritch Wrote: Here is a picture that SuperSleeper posted of an earlier RemStar in another thread. You can clearly see the button battery at the top left of the circuit board. My vote is an internal clock set at the factory.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=26]

I would go with the button battery theory, but, would the battery last the 4-5 years before the user would replace the machine through normal wear and tear?.. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that theory
Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 07:35 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 05:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I've heard that technicians can set the time and update the firmware with a special cable that connects a laptop to a socket in the botom of the machine. I see no such socket, though! There's a small removeable panel surrounding the slot where the SD card is inserted, but I see no socket behind that panel, either!

I think I discovered something ... found this in the User Manual:

Before operating the device, ensure that the SD card cover is replaced whenever any of the accessories such as the Link Module or Modem are not installed.

My guess is that this "Link Module" plugs in somehow behind that SD card cover, and that is how a tech sets the time on the machine.

here's what i have: my unit came from an on-line dealer in washington (pacific time) in an unopened factory sealed box. i live in alabama (central time). the thing that puzzles me is how the guy in the final inspection station in the factory would know to set my machine to central time when it was going to a dealer in washington. the second question is what happens if i move to a new time zone? if the cpap time is preset to my time zone, the time would be screwed up if i moved to washington, 2 time zones away. well, i download my data to 2 laptops every morning and the time is always correct. so tonite one of my desktop's moved to washington for a couple minutes. i set the computer clock to pacific time, downloaded and installed sleepyhead and set my time in sleepyhead to pacific time. the result was the software thought i was in washington and recorded all data 2 hours earlier as if i was in washington. i still think the internal clock is set to gmt as i've heard. the tech messing with the clock, if he does, could in fact be him just activating the clock.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this normal or my APAP is simply stupid? fejsbukpejdz 45 4,249 06-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  I did something really stupid and I think I broke my machine cbcbcbcb 22 3,559 03-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,425 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Stupid noob question: Is my new APAP exploding? HalfAsleep 24 3,664 10-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross A problem I think is stupid. snuffles 28 10,378 10-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Last Post: snuffles
  Stupid Mask question for a "sidesleeper" with full face needed Mac_Sheepcounter 20 6,712 09-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Last Post: vsheline
  A small rant: Does anybody have any idea why even "smart APAP machines" are stupid? Terry 7 3,735 08-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Last Post: JimZZZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.