Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I change my mask from Nasal Pillow to inserts?
Can I change my mask from Nasal Pillow to inserts?
I have a thick mustache, and getting a seal with my nasal pillow attached to a W.isp head harness is difficult on my Airsens 10.
I also wake up with a rash or dents in my nose from the mask being too tight which I need to keep the seal.
I see that some CPAP users have a dual nostril insert, that they just stick right on in there. It sounds mighty uncomfortable, but I'm getting kinda desperate.
Does anyone here know if the ResMed Airsens 10 is compatible with that type of breathing apparatus?
And if it is, what brand/model would I get?
Thank you for your help!
Wishing you all a restful night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I change my mask from Nasal Pillow to inserts?
(07-08-2015, 02:18 AM)Sir Snorzalot Wrote: Does anyone here know if the ResMed Airsens 10 is compatible with that type of breathing apparatus?
And if it is, what brand/model would I get?
Thank you for your help!
Wishing you all a restful night.
I don't know about that particular mask, but in general, you can use any mask with any machine

Bedtime is not yet but getting close

Welcome to the forum, Sir Snorzalot

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. So there's a standard aperture on most masks that the end of my standard issue hose can clip on to? I presume I need a specialized harness as well. Any recommendations? And the A10 can detect and react and measure my breathing just well as the nasal pillow?
Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
The Wisp is a nasal mask, not a nasal pillow. Look at the ResMed P10: it's very popular and worked well when I had a mustache. Other popular nasal pillows are the Pillaro and the Nuance.

Pretty much any mask will work with any machine. You may need to tell the machine what type of mask you're using (Full face, Nose, or nasal Pillows)
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Sir Snorzalot, welcome to Apnea Board.

There are quite a few different masks on the market, but most of them fall into three basic categories:

- Nasal pillows, which have a pair of soft "prongs" which fit directly into your nostrils
- Nasal mask, which covers the nose
- Full face mask, which cover the nose and mouth.

Some images and information here: http://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/pro...masks.html

In general, all masks have a standard size attachment, and the hoses are also standard. (The exception is that the heated type hoses have one end which is specific to the machine but the other end is a universal fit for all masks).

Each mask will have its own headgear, and in general these are not interchangeable.

With Resmed machines, you need to tell the machine which basic type mask you are using - I'm not sure how to do this on the A10, but I'm sure somebody will be able to tell you that. It's no biggie if you have the wrong setting, but the machine will work more effectively and deal with leaks better if you have the mask set correctly.

As for which mask is right for you - nobody knows! There are too many variables (head size, face shape, big nose / small nose, facial hair etc etc) to make a recommendation. You will need to try some out and see for yourself which suits you best. FWIW the Resmed P10 nasal pillows is very popular, but I personally can't stand it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sir Snorzalot,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that will work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone!
I'm a Newbie to CPAP, so I really appreciate your help.
I LOVE your picture Deepbreathing!
That's what I feel like when I wear the mask.
On the one hand my wife is not annoyed with me all night for snoring, on the other, I am rather unattractive wearing that gas mask on my face.
At least the machine is quiet and doesn't bother her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be assured the nasal pillows are not irritating to most of us. The pillows fit into the nostril, but the seal is on the surface of the nares. All masks attach to the hose with a standard 22mm fitting. Virtually any mask can be used with any machine. I'll second the recommendation of the Resmed Airfit P10 mask. I have facial hair and mustache, and no problems with a seal or comfort. The nasal pillows are much easier to seal and more comfortable to use than a nasal mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also recommend Resmed P10. It should work well at your pressure range.

P10 is the latest generation mask and is very minimalistic in its design. It's at least a generation ahead of anything from other vendors like respironics and f&p.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also recommend the P10 nasal pillow mask. I've tried others, but this is the lightest weight mask.

If your nostrils get sore, try a lanolin cream or a nasal gel. Just a small dab. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,222 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.