Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I diagnose sleep apnea for my mom using CPAP device and OSCAR software?
Can I diagnose sleep apnea for my mom using CPAP device and OSCAR software?
Hi Everyone,
I have a question. My mom may have sleep apnea too. She gets drowsy a lot during the day and has to take light naps a lot. At night she makes slight choking sounds too while she sleeps, my dad said. So I'm worried that she might have sleep apnea too, since she's a little overweight.

However, you know how old people are, they are very stubborn and don't like doing new things or changing their routine, so me asking her to go to a hospital and doing a sleep study would only be met with stubborn refusal and resistance from her.

So I was wondering, if I hooked her up to my CPAP device and used OSCAR or the default software in it, would that be able to diagnose if she has sleep apnea or not? What if I just use the default software within it that you monitor with an app? Would that be sufficient to do that? Or would only the OSCAR software be able to do that?

If so, would the results be solid and reliable? Can the program tell how often you choke or gasp for air during sleep?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Can I diagnose sleep apnea for my mom using CPAP device and OSCAR software?
The only problem is that the lowest the Cpap will go is 4cm of pressure. So there will be pressure and that in itself will meditate the findings. It will show apnea that was not controlled with 4 cm.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed 
Cervical Collar     Dealing w DME     Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I diagnose sleep apnea for my mom using CPAP device and OSCAR software?
We get this question a lot, so I am going to let an Old Person answer that.

Maybe.

She is on that first part of the trip, that trip is one going up that foreign river, very scenic I'll have you know, de Nile.

What can be done we can often tell if she definitely has Sleep Apnea
We cannot say she does not have it, only that she is well treated at the pressures used.

For the purpose of diagnostics you want to use the lowest pressure possible.
so
Min=Max= Pressure = 4
No EPR, No Flex, No Pressure Support, and no Ramp (you are at the lowest pressure and at a fixed pressure)

If 4 is too low try 5 or 6 but the idea is as low as possible.

Then show OSCARs nightly charts and we can render an oppinion.

Keep in mind that this is only for diagnostics. No one here would recommend this for treatment.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did your ADHD symptoms improve after Sleep Apnea/UARS treatment? AlgebraicMisery 3 150 Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  First Night of CPAP Therapy - Oscar Help? sg131 15 294 Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Last Post: sg131
Question [Treatment] New to CPAP. Struggling with sleep talan 13 328 10-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Last Post: talan
  Alcohol IMPROVES my sleep apnea? hagrock 10 782 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Finally changed to a OSCAR supported device. Help me analyze my therapy please. vrapche031 32 671 10-16-2020, 05:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question First time poster, long time CPAP user with an OSCAR report. Afasterme 8 200 10-13-2020, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Afasterme
  Interpreting OSCAR, Clusters of Central Apnea letsrun100 58 2,380 10-12-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.