Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I get admitted to the hospital 4 oxygen? Plus, Backstory
RE: Can I get admitted to the hospital 4 oxygen? Plus, Backstory
(05-13-2017, 01:19 AM)ineedhelpandadvice12 Wrote: Hi,

I need to know, is it possible to get admitted into the hospital to get oxygen?

I will tell you my full back story. I got diagnosed with an hospital in-house sleep study in 2013 at a different hospital than where I belong now. I had never adjusted to my CPAP and didn't push it enough so I've been going without treatment for 4 years now. Well I gained about 100 pounds more than I was before and I was already obese according to my BMI AND I am now having pretty severe symptoms. Well since I switched hospital systems they wanted me to "prove" I had sleep apnea before allowing me access to a new mask etc. So for the past 3 months I've been trying to get re-diagosed with sleep apnea. My insurance denied my in house sleep study so I had to do an "at-home" study. I did that and now have to wait 3 weeks to find out my results since I called my pulmologist office today and that's what they said.

First of all I believe I not only have Obstructive sleep apnea, but also central sleep apnea and I'm paranoid that it's not going to show up on the test bc I didn't have my brain waves monitored during the home sleep test. What could I do tho my insurance denied it so I had to go with the home study which only had a pulse oximeter an a thing to measure my nose breathing (although I am a bad mouth breather so I don't know what they could see by monitoring my nasal breathing)

Anyhow, I am suffering pretty badly each night. I know my previous study said I had severe sleep apnea ... my oygen goes to 80 percent in my sleep, my heart rate goes up to 140 and my apnea events are like 39 per hour is it? But that was when I was 100 pounds lighter lol I assume it's much worse now. I am experiencing pretty bad symptoms as of the last 3 months.

New Symptoms:

-Wake up not being able to breathe (not choking, just feels like I literally cannot exhale for 30 secs. and when I wake up my oxygen is between 88 and 93 for 30 seconds to 1 minute before going back up to 99)

-I am getting pretty bad back and neck pain that lasts most of the day as well as numbness in my left arm and hands (I believe this is due to oxygen deprivation in my sleep)

My primary care doctor tells me that even if my oxygen was below 88 percent in my sleep that they would not prescribe oxygen as the treatment is CPAP not oxygen, but i would like supplemental oxygen to get me through the next two weeks.

If I cannot get oxygen through my doctor can I be admitted to the hospital so they can literally prove my oxygen is dipping down to 80% (an possibly worse as I am now 100 pounds heavier). Like if they admitted me for observation, monitored that, they would just send me home to wait two more weeks?

Is my request so crazy or un-doable?
========================

admitted  ?  =  no way if you are vertical and breathing

you need a sleep test and a proper machine taht fits your problem
then if the machine fails to help you keep O2 up enough
then they might add  some to that machine at night 

you wont get pure O2 prescribed for what you described 

you need to start losing weight more than you need to get O2 from a hospital 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ineedhelpandadvice12,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
‘till you can get a different mask, try using it and the machine you already have.
There are pictures of the different machines here on the board, and hopefully, someone will post either the images, or the link to them, in this thread for you to look at, so you can let us know which one you have.
Try real hard to get restarted with your CPAP therapy. Good luck to you on your CPAP journey, and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay thanks for all the replies guys!!! The main issue with all the ppl that said just use your current mask is that it is a nose mask and I never figured out how to keep my mouth shut in my sleep long enough to create the seal for it to work. In 2013 I tried two methods: 1.) chin strap and 2.) Taping my mouth shut neither worked :-( I need access to a new mask and I as under the impression no you could not get them without proving a prescription.....at least that's what seemed on several cpap mask sites...but someone said you can on Amazon?!?!
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me, I'd buy a FFM off amazon or the online sellers. probably the resmed f20, as that seems the better of the ones I've tried. but get a 30 day exchange seller, just incase you can't get a good fit. This one seems to work with and without teeth Smile

what is the model of your machine?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay just checked out my old paper work the machine is a ResMed S9 and it's Auto Cpap at 6-16 whatever any of that means means I cannot barely make out this persons handwriting

Edit: Wholy cow ...his handwriting was really bad I thought it was ResMed 59 but it was ResMed S9

I think the machine is moldy somehow I am allergic to mold/mildew and when I opened it my nose was on fire and my face started itching badly...where the heck could the mold/mildew be coming from as the main pocket of the carrying case houses the main unit
Post Reply Post Reply
you have a good machine, S9... use a sd card in the machine and download the sleepyhead program, there are a few people with instructions in the signature of their posts. This will be a great help to you

will the machine stay on and blow air? if so leave it on for a couple of hours. if not, ask and you will be shown how to do the settings.
it would be a good idea to get the clinical setup manual from the top of the page

wash your hose and mask
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 06:20 AM)ajack Wrote: I would think that proper use of your cpap will fix the O2.
Is it fixed pressure or auto?
can you write what the model of your machine is and does it take a sd card? 'philips resmed' is confusing me.

??

philips and resmed are leading manufacturers of ASV and other xpap machines
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 08:46 PM)ineedhelpandadvice12 Wrote: Okay thanks for all the replies guys!!! The main issue with all the ppl that said just use your current mask is that it is a nose mask and I never figured out how to keep my mouth shut in my sleep long enough to create the seal for it to work. In 2013 I tried two methods: 1.) chin strap and 2.) Taping my mouth shut neither worked :-( I need access to a new mask and I as under the impression no you could not get them without proving a prescription.....at least that's what seemed on several cpap mask sites...but someone said you can on Amazon?!?!

just buy a FFM then
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 09:02 PM)The ineedhelpandadvice12 Wrote: ....
I think the machine is moldy somehow I am allergic to mold/mildew and when I opened it my nose was on fire and my face started itching badly...where the heck could the mold/mildew be coming from as the main pocket of the carrying case houses the main unit

Don't use a moldy machine!

Hopefully the mold is only in the humidifier and hose.

Probably should take humidifier off of the machine (there is a small panel/button in middle of the back of the unit which you press to detach the humidifier) and remove the water tank and wash the tank out and fill with distilled vinegar and soak for an hour.  Also, remove and wash the humidifier lid seal, which is a large rubber-like gasket on the lid.

I think it safest to completely throw away and replace the hose. And the air filter. And the mask.

If it looks like there is any mold in the blower unit, I think you should not use it at all.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
On further inspection I really think the storage bag is moldy/mildewed I was brave enough to inspect and sniff the humidifier and blower part of my Resmed S9 as well as the hose/mask. I cannot see mold and it didn't make me itch and did not make my throat close. I kinda don't have any money right now in between jobs so I think just washing the hose, mask, and humidifier with vinegar soak and dish soap should be good enough and of course not storing it in that bag anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 918 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 525 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,061 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 417 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.